View Full Version : Can I Go Off Lithium And Upper Zyprexa Zydis?

netsavy006
09-10-09, 08:06 PM
Because I'm now in the beginning stages of arthritis I want to be able to take medication to help control the pain and the inflammation. But I can't do that right now because apparently, the medications they wanted to try, even Motrin, interacts with Lithium. Is it feasible to say that I'd like to come off of Lithium and upper the Zyprexa Zydis and use the ZZ as my sole mood stabilizer if I'd have to? I'd rather chance the diabetes than not be able to take medicines.

Thanks,
Andy...

Trooper Keith
09-10-09, 08:55 PM
Best move may be to attempt another mood stabilizer. It's not good practice to just discontinue the mood stabilizer.

And you're asking about this hypothetically, before talking to your doctor, right? Discontinuing Lithium without close supervision is not at all safe.

netsavy006
09-10-09, 09:09 PM
This is hypothetical at the moment. I've not made the move on my own. I can't take Depakote (couldn't stabilize blood levels) and Tegratol made me suicidal in one dose. Having been allergic to Thorazine and having had a rash with Geodon I'm not about to try Lamictal. That's just a personal point of view. Still working off the rash from Geodon after about a week and a half off the medication. That's why I figure it best to resort best to Zyprexa Zydis. I've used it in the past and it's worked but I'll know the dosage will of course need to be increased to work as a stabilizer. If you have further questions/comments, please mention/ask them. I'll be glad to reply.

Andy...