View Full Version : questions about adderall

Endersama
09-13-09, 07:22 AM
Hello all,
After a lifetime of ignoring it and a year of trying(then procrastinating) to get the help I need, I am finally getting a prescription for my ADD tendencies this week.
My psychiatrist first gave me a referral to an ADHD clinic to get tested, but due to time constraints and the place planning on charging me through BCBS instead of biodyne, which would make the co-pay still very expensive, she decided to have me cancel the testing and get a script later this week.
My psych intends to prescribe me adderall XR(which i am very happy with because i know the medication works for me), and just have a question or 2.

I am curious what physical tests (heart rate, etc) will be ran, how many pills are generally prescribed and at what mg, how much adderall usually costs as far as co-pay is concerned, etc.

I know I will find this all out on tuesday, but a heads up ahead of time would be greatly appreciated ^_^.

TYVM:)

Trooper Keith
09-13-09, 07:41 AM
I didn't have any heart rate tests, etc. performed, but my psychiatrist knows that I'm a young male in good physical health. You will likely be prescribed 30 pills, or a one month supply. It is not legal to prescribe more than a one month supply of Adderall in the US. He will likely start you on 10 or 20mg of Adderall XR, depending on your body type and other factors.

Roserazzle
09-14-09, 03:47 PM
I started on 5mg xr two times a day 2 months ago.
Presently I take 20mgxr inthe morning and 5mgxr after lunch this works for me. Sometimes I skip the pm dose

You need to call your ins company and find out details about coverage of payment.

cecily_parish
09-15-09, 12:53 PM
My doctor (a psychiatrist, not my pcp) didn't run any physical tests before writing my prescription. To be honest, I don't think he actually even knows much about my medical history (a though that sometimes worries me, tbh). I'm pretty sure tests like you've described are only done in cases where a patient has a history of heart abnormalities/irregularities.

And I was started on a prescription of 20 mg IR pills 2x/day. However, the first week I was instructed to only take half 2x/day (so 10mg and 10mg); the second week I was told to bump it to 20mg in the am and 10mg after lunch... Then the third week normal 20mg x2.

However, I wouldn't recommend this to start. I actually only took the 20mg pill once (until I'd been on it for quite some time) because it made me way speedy and anxious. I kept it at about 15 mg. Hope this helps.