View Full Version : Adderall crash experiences

FrazzleDazzle
09-15-09, 10:10 PM
Son's on his 2nd week of Adderall 15 mg XR Barr brand. He's started the crash thing just this week, but he thinks it was bad this week because he was a little behind in sleep and hydration. What is your experience with the crash period and anything you do to make it more tolerable, or makes it worse? Any brand or generic or IR or XR any better or worse?

Trooper Keith
09-15-09, 10:13 PM
The crash is the result of withdrawal from the drug itself, and the manufacturer won't have anything to do with it. Barr Adderall is therapeutically equivalent (http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/ucm079068.htm#Therapeutic%20Equivalence-Related%20Terms) to the brand.

livinginchaos
09-16-09, 01:42 AM
The crash is the comedown of the med. Many people who take ADderall get this. I didn't realize how much mine affected me until I started doing well on Strattera (it's so smooth and seamless).
It is possible to get an IR booster to take shortly before the crash happens?

I never took XR, 'cause IR was going great for me. The hard part about IR is how often you have to take the med. It wears off in about 4 hours (although the docs will say it lasts 6-8 hours). I didn't have a hard time when it was wearing off. I knew when it wore off because I was more jittery and spacey.

Does this help?

oopsydaisy
09-16-09, 10:25 AM
Please excuse any reiterations of previous posts I might express, as I'm new to the whole ADD thing since late July. Don't have the focus quite needed to research forums completely.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Also experiencing the same "crash" effect on Barr IR 20 mg 2 times daily, and I'm more inclined to agree with KMiller at this point. Maybe inconsistencies in meds are actually related to generics' poor design in flexibility in regard to inactive ingredients' abilities to adjust to slight variations in patients' chemistry?
<o:p></o:p>
For me, with Barr at first things were fine, but eventually found myself hyperfocused, wasting time, stuck, anxious. Changed meds every which way, dosage, timing, diet, habits, etc. Nothing seems to work. Don't think the med can be that far off, makes me think it's not appropriate for me.
Anyway, recently re-read Amen's Healing ADD (points out different meds for each subtype and possible reactions by each subtype if not appropriately medicated). Surprise-found explanation so dead on, that for my type (apparent type) stimulants alone may cause overstimulation, tendency to get stuck on certain issues, anxiety. May need Prozac or the like, with stimulant.
FrazzleDazzle, you seem experienced with ADD, and your previous posts suggest the use of antidepressants. Considered antidepressant WITH Adderall? Has anyone tried this? Results?

Like I said, sorry if this has been addressed. Get headache and nausea with hyperfocusing as of late.

daevilgangsta
09-16-09, 10:41 AM
No no Adderall no matter what kind is the same active ingredient
You should give him some antianxiety medicine to take at a certain time so that it kicks in as soon as he crashes
The crashes don't get any better, you just get used to them but it will help if you give him so Zoloft or Xanax!

FrazzleDazzle
09-16-09, 11:05 AM
It is possible to get an IR booster to take shortly before the crash happens?

We thought about the 5mg booster to help with homework and a nightschool class. So a booster helps minimize the crash from the xr without having another crash from the booster itself?

oopsydaisy
09-16-09, 01:40 PM
That's what I've been doing, taking the usual morning dose, but then taking 5 mg from my 1 pm dose and taking it at 4 pm to help with the crash feeling. It seems to work, but not too late or will have trouble sleeping.

Spoke with a pharmacist few weeks ago as I thought Adderall is Adderall, generic or not, but this particular pharm said the inactive ingredients in a product actually do affect people differently. Skeptical--looked into it, found National Consumers League Guide to Generic Drugs at http://www.nclnet.org/publications/genericbro.pdf

but once again, the above was provided through a grant from a drug co who would like to sell more brand name meds, so... but it is interesting and could have some truth.

Wintermute
09-16-09, 04:10 PM
I think a booster is a great idea. Maybe a Dexedrine booster would be more appropriate than another dose of Adderall. It's smoother (for some) and doesn't last as long, so it can be taken closer to bedtime. I'm considering asking my PDoc for a dex booster, but not for crashes.

I'm going to avoid touching on the "generics are the same as brand" debate...I think my opinion is pretty well stated in many of my recent posts :)

anonone
09-16-09, 11:02 PM
The negative feelings associated with "The crash" may stem, in part, from low blood sugar. For me that pretty much eliminated "the crash." I find it really hard to know when to eat on this stuff.

livinginchaos
09-16-09, 11:39 PM
We thought about the 5mg booster to help with homework and a nightschool class. So a booster helps minimize the crash from the xr without having another crash from the booster itself?

I wish I could give you a definitive "YES!" but, I never took XR, so I can't tell you with 100% certainty that it will work. I think it could work (from what I've read from others)
My "crash" with IR was just getting tired and antsy. It may be a smoother crash than XR (??)

I hope someone who takes XR with a booster of IR can chime in.

daevilgangsta
09-17-09, 01:06 AM

Actually the crash from the booster won't be that bad but be careful because i find it impossible to sleep on adderall
my dad told me to drink coffee

TygerSan
09-17-09, 01:09 PM
The negative feelings associated with "The crash" may stem, in part, from low blood sugar. For me that pretty much eliminated "the crash." I find it really hard to know when to eat on this stuff.

I have to second this thought! Yes, lack of sleep and low hydration can contribute to the crash. . . I crashed *hard* from the adderall; making sure I ate a decent lunch, and then had food to eat when the meds wore off (around 3:00 in the afternoon if I took it at 8:00 in the morning) made things somewhat better. The IR booster didn't really work for me, personally, and seemed to actually make the crash worse when the IR wore off. . . but, I was going till around 6:00, and got good coverage till 3:00 or so; then I'd get a little twitchy and start hyperfocusing. By the time I got home at 6:00 pm, I was a much worse scatterbrain than I was pre-adderall. . . depressed and exhausted with very little short term memory, so I could imagine nightschool with Adderall crash could be quite challenging!

Coldhandedman
09-17-09, 07:36 PM
Im going to crash hard tonight. Didn't go to sleep until 1 this morning and def. did not get enough sleep. I will be feeling it later. Sleep is key!

Roserazzle
09-17-09, 10:23 PM
coldhandedman, I hope you sleep better tonight.

I take 20mgxr in the morning and 5mgxr after lunch. It works okay
I am new to the meds (two months maybe?) and I find that I am spending a lot of time reading. Sometimes reading stuff that is just not so interesting but I just keep reading lol

The only feeling I get that feels like a crash is I get kind of tired and bummy after dinner, sometimes feeling kind of loser-ish. I try to do something that will make me feel like I am not a loser... like play some bad piano (it is the only type I play) or email the old folks or call my sister.
Some days I feel the meds are working other days, I just feel like it is hardly working.

hsoJ
09-17-09, 10:56 PM
No no Adderall no matter what kind is the same active ingredient
You should give him some antianxiety medicine to take at a certain time so that it kicks in as soon as he crashes
The crashes don't get any better, you just get used to them but it will help if you give him so Zoloft or Xanax!

Giving a 16 year old xanax due to the adderall wearing off? I surely hope you aren't serious. No doubt it sucks, but I don't think adding more addictive pills will fix it. Then he'd be withdrawing from a benzo and amphetamines.

When it all goes down the evening ****ter, little things can make it better. Personally, I like peppermint tea with "sugar in the raw" and some Van Halen. Playing guitar and other outlets help too.

bobC
09-18-09, 01:01 PM
I found adding an IR booster would not prevent, but delay the crash.

The crash(rebound) had less of an impact on my life and the people around me @ bed time vs dinner time.

BobC

Whybother
09-20-09, 02:03 AM
I've been taking the regular generic Amphetamine salts since April, I'm finding that the crash for me is feelings of apprehensiveness, and generalized impending doom.It seems that I feel better when I take it after I eat. Got to take it soon after I get up , otherwise I start the day with those feelings. Start with two 15mg in the morning 7'ish , another one at 10am, and one more at 1pm. I tried 4 hour interval's, but those feelings start creeping in. In a sense I have been boosting. All I know is I feel positive and worthwhile on the meds , and negative and worthless when I forget em. I'm also taking 40 mg generic prozac in the morning , and 45 mg generic remeron at bed time .I haven't stumbled upon the right combo for the cocktail yet, but we're getting closer.

willwill30
10-03-09, 05:37 PM
I've been taking the regular generic Amphetamine salts since April, I'm finding that the crash for me is feelings of apprehensiveness, and generalized impending doom.It seems that I feel better when I take it after I eat. Got to take it soon after I get up , otherwise I start the day with those feelings. Start with two 15mg in the morning 7'ish , another one at 10am, and one more at 1pm. I tried 4 hour interval's, but those feelings start creeping in. In a sense I have been boosting. All I know is I feel positive and worthwhile on the meds , and negative and worthless when I forget em. I'm also taking 40 mg generic prozac in the morning , and 45 mg generic remeron at bed time .I haven't stumbled upon the right combo for the cocktail yet, but we're getting closer.

I get the same feelings, it's like a dark cloud suddenly comes over me from nowhere, it's really strange, kinda like a pseudo-panic attack. I have tried tapering off the dose as the day progresses, but it still happens.