View Full Version : Premonitory Urge for Complex Vocal Tics?

ZiggyFry
09-17-09, 08:30 PM
I've heard of more complex tics (sometimes seemingly paired with ocd) that are almost masochistic. i.e. Saying the worst possible thing in a particular situation.

I am noticing a changing in tics. Recently if I feel very strongly about something. Somebody could ask me about it and I would like to shake my head no, but I get a "nodding head" tic. I have laughing-type tics in the worst possible times, too. (little interesting background information)

For anyone who has complex vocal tics (words, phrases etc), do you get the same type of premonitory urge as you do physical tics or simple vocal ones? I'm not sure if this is even a question worth asking because it might not be applicable to me, but that would be worth knowing too.

The reason I'm asking this is that I'm trying to work out whether I am starting to get a whole new type of tic or not. It seems that it might be a more complex type of vocal tic, but it doesn't have the same premonitory urge that other tics have.

I find mental disorders like this fascinating; and what better subject to study than myself!? :D

Sin.Ziggy.

Don S.
09-18-09, 07:38 PM
Dear Ziggy,

We seem to be kindred souls. When you state:
<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:P< font><O:P< class=inlineimg title="Stick Out Tongue" smilieid="6" alt="" border="0" src="http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif" font O:P< O<>
“I find mental disorders like this fascinating; and what better subject to study than myself!?”<O:P< class=inlineimg title="Stick Out Tongue" smilieid="6" alt="" border="0" src="http://www.addforums.com/forums/images/smilies/tongue.gif" font O:P< O<>

you are inviting a lot of flak from folks who are either emotionally committed to the status quo of TS being a “neurological disorder” or have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo. I arrived at my conclusion that TS is psychological, rather than organic, by investigating within the laboratory of my own mind, and then reading various literatures on the subject. There is no need to reiterate my reasoning here. Any interested may investigate my articles on my website or on Ezine Articles.

<O:P< font><O:P< font>I suffered from physical tics as a kid which, along with a more severe case of ADHD (that diagnosis hadn’t been formulated then, but if it had, I could have been the poster boy for it!), put me into a world of severe hurt at the “Christian” (Catholic) school I had been forced to attend as was de rigueur for Catholics in my parish/neighborhood at the time (when a great many people actually took religion seriously).

<O:P< font><O:P< font>As I grew older, the physical tics diminished and are now close to being nonexistent. However, as that was waning coprolalia was waxing and remains a problem to this day for me. Through sheer “willpower,” for want of a better word, I have been very successful in not lapsing in public, though there have been a few incidents over the years of a very embarrassing nature.<O:P< font><O:P< font>

In regard to premonitory urges, my verbal tics are preceded by habitual flashbacks in my mind to painful or embarrassing incidents within my life. One of the reasons why I have been, for the most part, successful in repressing lapses in public is because in a work environment, for example, my mind is preoccupied with business matters which inhibits the chronic self-reflection which I hold to be the hallmark of all obsessive-compulsive disorders. (I view TS to be just a distinct variation of OCD.)

My ADD makes it difficult for me to focus in most social environments as “small talk” and watching sports on TV terminally bore me. Therefore, I tend to avoid such occasions as much as possible for fear of mind wandering and resulting lapses. (This is one of the reasons why, I believe, that ADHD is so often associated with TS.)<O:P< font>
<O:P< font>
The presence of premonitory urges within TS sufferers is, in my estimation, just another nail in the coffin of the prevailing view (since the late sixties) that TS is a physical affliction as opposed to a mental one. Behavioral therapy, such as that practiced at <?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = ST1 /><ST1:PLACE w:st="on">Duke <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.addforums.com/forums/ /><st1:PlaceType alt=</st1:PlaceType></ST1:PLACE>University’s medical clinic, has been most successful in at least mitigating the symptoms of those with severe cases of TS. The impetus is on having those with TS focus to become more aware of the fleeting warning signs of tic onsets in an effort to reverse the behavioral reinforcement (with tics constituting either a concentration or defense mechanism of a compulsive nature) which has resulted in habituation.<O:P></O:P>
<O:P></O:P>
If TS is an organic affliction, then I fail to see how bahvorial therapy, or any sort of talk therapy, could possibly have any efficacy. <O:P></O:P>
On my website, I linked to an article published in The American Journal of Psychiatry concerning a study conducted at Yale regarding premonitory urges. Here is a brief excerpt: <O:P></O:P>
“OBJECTIVE: Tourette's syndrome traditionally has been viewed as a<SUP> </SUP>hyperkinetic movement disorder characterized by involuntary motor and<SUP> </SUP>phonic tics. Many patients, however, describe their tics as a voluntary<SUP> </SUP>response to premonitory urges. This cross-sectional study evaluated<SUP> </SUP>premonitory urges and related phenomena in subjects with tic disorders.” [Emphasis added]<O:P></O:P>
If you have any interest, on my website I link to the free access article and have written a brief introduction to it which compares the study’s impetus and results to my own views as stated at my site. Here is the URL:<O:P></O:P>
http://wwwdnschneidercom.xbuild.com/#/links-page-45/4531428357 (http://wwwdnschneidercom.xbuild.com/#/links-page-45/4531428357)<O:P></O:P>
Best regards,<O:P></O:P>
Don
</O:P<></O:P<></O:P<></O:P<></O:P<></O:P<></O:P<></O:P<></O:P<>

</O:P<></O:P<>