View Full Version : Adderall XR not lasting very long

WanderingNobody
09-18-09, 09:50 PM
I've been on Adderall 20 mg XR Brand (Shire) for more than 2 weeks and I take it every morning on an empty stomach. I end up eating breakfast about 20-30 minutes after taking it. And I also know to avoid certain foods and drinks, specifically those that contain citric acid.

But I've noticed that Adderall XR does not last nearly as long as my psychiatrist said it would. He said that it would last 8 hours. On certain days, I'm lucky to get 5 hours. It's usually only around 3-4 hours and then it's just gone.

It kind of sucks because I have classes in the morning and it lasts for the first 3 hours I'm in class in the morning for, but when I go home, it just goes away on the car ride home and I notice it. Then once I walk inside my house, I get kind of lethargic and not really wanting to do anything. What's the point in taking Adderall if it's only helping me be a better student during class, but not when I go home? I'm barely getting any homework or studying done because of this.

Does anyone else have a problem with the duration not lasting long with XR? I mean, I was real excited at first to be prescribed XR because I've read about people lasting 4-5 hours on IR. That's like the most XR does for me.

I'll be sure to mention this to my psychiatrist the next time I'm able to see him (next month).

bst2008
09-19-09, 05:03 AM
It is possible you metabolize through it and thats why it's not lasting as long. I would talk about adding an IR to take once the XR wheres off. That will get you through class, pop the IR, do all the your HW from those classes and daily stuff...should be good to go by the time that IR wears unless your a med student or something.

WanderingNobody
09-19-09, 10:23 PM
It is possible you metabolize through it and thats why it's not lasting as long. I would talk about adding an IR to take once the XR wheres off. That will get you through class, pop the IR, do all the your HW from those classes and daily stuff...should be good to go by the time that IR wears unless your a med student or something.

Sure, but the problem is that the XR itself isn't lasting nearly as long as everyone else claims it does. Only 4 hours! I mean, the IR would probably only do me for 2 hours. So let's suppose I get home and settle around 1 pm. I decide to get some homework and pop in an IR. By 3 pm, I'll be back to crashing again. I'm looking for something to last me until at least 7 pm.

Wintermute
09-19-09, 11:13 PM
Your doc might prescribe you just IR's to take 2-3 times a day. Some people prefer XR because they don't have to swallow 3 or more pills a day, especially in the case of children who can't keep going to the nurse's office for their medication. Other people (myself included) prefer the control of the IR's, and don't mind taking extra pills. The only downside is sort of an up and down feeling all day, but I hear the same thing happens with XR as well.

There's a poll in this forum showing how long XR works for people. If I find it I'll post a link.

EDIT: http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70737&highlight=long

odsybmx734
09-19-09, 11:17 PM
same thing happens to me, if it is ever consistent. if not, it lasts longer but its up and down all day switching from lethargic to focused on and off for about 8 hrs. i cant sleep for 16 hours after taking any xr dose though.

Maurice
09-20-09, 12:35 AM
When I started taking Adderall XR 25mg. I also noticed that it was wearing off around one or two in the afternoon. So I went back to my doctor and told her that my days usually last a little longer that 5 or 6 hours and I think if I had another one to take around that time I would be fine. So she gave me 2 25mg. Adderall XRs a day. Then I took one when I first get up and I take the 2nd one in the early afternoon and it has worked just great every since.

PickMeUpRoadie
09-20-09, 10:09 AM
i cant sleep for 16 hours after taking any xr dose though.

I wouldn't think of that as a good thing. I can't sleep 16 hours on a regular basis, only when my body seriously needs that rest.

PickMeUpRoadie
09-20-09, 10:11 AM
When I started taking Adderall XR 25mg. I also noticed that it was wearing off around one or two in the afternoon. So I went back to my doctor and told her that my days usually last a little longer that 5 or 6 hours and I think if I had another one to take around that time I would be fine. So she gave me 2 25mg. Adderall XRs a day. Then I took one when I first get up and I take the 2nd one in the early afternoon and it has worked just great every since.

The problem most people have with that, is while the cognitive effects are no longer noticable when bedtime comes around, often the stimulant effects are still noticable enough to interfere with sleep.

Im glad it works for you.

novagal
09-20-09, 11:11 AM
I'm prescribed two XR's per day. I take one early, about 6:00, and then the other around noon or 1:00. I'm able to sleep fine by 9:00 if I can get to bed that early. Some folks are prescribed an IR booster in the afternoon, which might be better solution if sleep is a problem.

Childe Roland
09-20-09, 11:52 AM
The new Shire drug called Intuniv is supposed to last all day long. I'm not sure if they sell it yet or not. I have found that Concerta lasts at least 10 hours. Vyvanse lasts about 8 hours. So you might try one of those.

WanderingNobody
09-21-09, 07:48 PM
The new Shire drug called Intuniv is supposed to last all day long. I'm not sure if they sell it yet or not. I have found that Concerta lasts at least 10 hours. Vyvanse lasts about 8 hours. So you might try one of those.

Intuniv is listed as for children only. Concerta is a methylphenidate, and I've already experienced Ritalin and it wasn't for me. I've also read that Vyvanse is not quite as effective as Adderall, and I'm looking for something more effective.

littletiger
09-25-09, 05:20 PM
The problem most people have with that, is while the cognitive effects are no longer noticable when bedtime comes around, often the stimulant effects are still noticable enough to interfere with sleep.

That is EXACTLY what I have found. It was very helpful reading these forums and finding that it's not unusual at all for the XR not to last as long as advertised, because I was surprised at first. I find that it lasts about 4 hours cognitively -- I take Adderall XR around 10AM and have a "window" from about 11AM-3PM of maximum effectiveness, after which I start to slide off. This wouldn't be quite such a problem if I were on a 9-5 schedule, but I freelance, and often end up working through the evening. I was initially prescribed 20mg XR in the AM in the form of 2x10mg caps, and my doc indicated I could take a second 10mg dose in the afternoon if I had a pressing deadline. Well, I did that twice, and found that I got another 3 hours or so of attention out of it, and MANY more hours of sleeplessness. I didn't get to bed until around 4AM.

At my most recent visit, I discussed this problem with the RN now handling my meds, and we added a 10mg IR for an afternoon "booster shot" as needed. So now I take 20mg XR in the morning, and if I need to work through on a deadline, I have 10mg IR on hand to hopefully give me a few more hours of focus and not so many hours of sleeplessness. The scrip is only 15 pills per month, because I don't need to push that window every day, and I'm wary of medication tolerance.

I discovered on filling the new scrips that IR is SO MUCH CHEAPER than the XR (!), but I appreciate the "smoothness" of the XR and feel more comfortable taking it than the IR. I still think XR is the better choice, but a small afternoon IR dose could be just what you need to help get a little bit more out of the med.

indy
09-25-09, 09:29 PM
I've been on Adderall 20 mg XR Brand (Shire) for more than 2 weeks and I take it every morning on an empty stomach. I end up eating breakfast about 20-30 minutes after taking it. And I also know to avoid certain foods and drinks, specifically those that contain citric acid.

But I've noticed that Adderall XR does not last nearly as long as my psychiatrist said it would. He said that it would last 8 hours. On certain days, I'm lucky to get 5 hours. It's usually only around 3-4 hours and then it's just gone.

It kind of sucks because I have classes in the morning and it lasts for the first 3 hours I'm in class in the morning for, but when I go home, it just goes away on the car ride home and I notice it. Then once I walk inside my house, I get kind of lethargic and not really wanting to do anything. What's the point in taking Adderall if it's only helping me be a better student during class, but not when I go home? I'm barely getting any homework or studying done because of this.

Does anyone else have a problem with the duration not lasting long with XR? I mean, I was real excited at first to be prescribed XR because I've read about people lasting 4-5 hours on IR. That's like the most XR does for me.

I'll be sure to mention this to my psychiatrist the next time I'm able to see him (next month).

your story mimics mine. i finally was able to convince my psych to let me take adderall xr twice a day. i take my first 20mg dose between 9-10AM and a second 25mg dose at about 1PM.

i still notice a slump when the second dose wears off around dinner time but after the slump i get a sort of second wind of adhd treatment and am able to study into the evening.

my guess is that what we perceive as the adderall wearing off so quickly is the dextro-amphetamine in the adderall wearing off before the levo-amphetamine as it does have a shorter half-life. by taking two doses per day, i have enough levo-amphetamine in my blood at the end of the day to allow for some evening study time. for some reason this just wasn't happening when i took it only once a day.

anyway... ask your doc about taking it twice a day. it really helps. and if you end up not being able to sleep or something you can take it earlier in the AM or go back to taking it only once a day.

you might want to try 25mg as your second dose, as stimulants work better during consecutive dosing if the dose is slightly higher than your first dose of the day. this is because that first dose really spikes your dopamine and if you don't get an equal spike from your second dose, the second dose can feel like one long adderall come-down.

indy
09-25-09, 09:35 PM

heehee! i'm pre-med and i have to take adderall xr twice a day! hate to think of what i might have to do when i actually get into med school. kidding... i'm not going to abuse it or anything. good thing is that by taking two XRs per day i get all day coverage but can still sleep by 10-11PM.