View Full Version : Psychiatrist wants me to tell my teachers? HELP!

Koric
09-19-09, 04:53 PM
Hey all,

So I just had to find a new psychiatrist because my old one is no longer covered by our insurance. After meeting with him, he A) did not respect that my diagnosis has been agreed upon by my psychologist, my pediatrician, and my old psychiatrist B) required me and my parents to fill out more symptom forms C) REQUIRED me to give a "symptom form" my teachers at school.

I'm okay with filling out more forms, but I am REALLY hesitant to tell my teachers about my struggle with ADHD. I am 17 and have gone through 11 grades of school without any teacher specifically asking I get tested for ADHD. All of my teachers know I am loud, have terrible organization and am generally a pain in the butt in class.

The problem is that I do not want to be considered different by my teachers, or have them think I am using ADHD as an excuse for my deplorable behavior. I just want to find the right medication, and work with my coach (psychologist) to help me manage my problem.

Can I tell my psychiatrist off if he demands I give this form to my teachers?

P.S. My current medication of ritalin is not working, that's why he wants to change the meds.

odsybmx734
09-19-09, 05:46 PM
hell yeah dude. you dont have to do anything you dont want to do and i completely agree with you and how you feel about this.

i actually did this, and its pointless, i am inattentive add and half of my teachers had nothing to say because i was never involved with the class and i just sat there staring into space never showing up on the radar.

dont let him or anyone else tell you what you have to do, its your condition and you are in control, if he doesnt give you medication and denies treatment of any type just because you didnt give a stupid piece of paper to your teachers, then screw him...find someone else.

good luck

Trooper Keith
09-19-09, 05:50 PM
He's giving you these forms for your teachers to fill out so that he can have a complete picture of impairment in more than one area of your life. This is useful to him and to you. I don't see any harm in asking your teachers to do this for you: you're not going to be the first kid with ADHD they've had in their classes, and frankly, if you do have ADHD, they should know about it anyways so they can accommodate you appropriately in the classroom, should you need it. Chances are, if you have ADHD they already think differently about you because your behaviors are aberrant. It'll offer them an explanation of why you are how you are, not an excuse.

A diagnosis doesn't change who you are. You already behave how you do. Your teachers already have an opinion of you based on your behavior.

ginniebean
09-19-09, 05:58 PM
KMiller, You must have been destracted while reading her post. This person has already been diagnosed by three professionals. He can certainly get the necessary documents from her previous psychiatrist. Are we obliged to be retested by every medical professional? AND since none of the teachers have pointed her towards getting a diagnosis, her behaviour is not a problem. Kmiller your reading is aberant, jump thru 90 hoops so I can tell you the samething again.

I'd speak to your parents. Maybe they need to go and speak with him and tell him if he's not willing to do his job he can refer you to someone else. If you've been on meds all along how would your teachers be able to fill out an impairment assesment accurately?

Wait, it is not about fighting getting a diagnosisi

odsybmx734
09-19-09, 05:59 PM
nobody deserves an explanation for why you are the way you are.

Trooper Keith
09-19-09, 06:11 PM
Yes, I was distracted. I'm trying to work on a paper on a stupid topic. But I don't think I was off base. If a new psychiatrist wants to test me for a disorder, I can't really complain. That psychiatrist might not trust the old psychiatrist's judgment. Can't really fault them for wanting to verify.

All of my teachers know I am loud, have terrible organization and am generally a pain in the butt in class.

Her behavior is problematic enough that she decided it was reasonable to tell us this. If the teachers already know this, what would a diagnosis possibly change except offering an explanation?

Kmiller your reading is aberant

My reading differs from accepted norms and ordinary behaviors?

PickMeUpRoadie
09-19-09, 09:43 PM
Are we obliged to be retested by every medical professional?

Unfortunately, in the mental health world it is often necessary to recheck another doctor's Dx. Symptoms change over time, and original Dx's can be wrong, especially if they were diagnosed in years past, when ADHD was seen as a somewhat new and unfamiliar phenomenom. The doctor is merely covering his behind, mainly because that is what you do when you are prescribing Schedule II drugs to treat a disorder with no definitive tests as of yet.

Koric
09-20-09, 03:21 AM
Unfortunately, in the mental health world it is often necessary to recheck another doctor's Dx. Symptoms change over time, and original Dx's can be wrong, especially if they were diagnosed in years past, when ADHD was seen as a somewhat new and unfamiliar phenomenom. The doctor is merely covering his behind, mainly because that is what you do when you are prescribing Schedule II drugs to treat a disorder with no definitive tests as of yet.

I would agree, however I was just diagnosed in July so any change in activity would probably be due to a combination of coaching and medication.

I would also like to ask what people have normally told their teachers about their condition's? I don't even know where I'd start...

P.S. I'm a dude :D did I come across as feminine? hahahah

qanda
09-20-09, 09:15 AM
I am an educator and as one we are not supposed to suggest to someone that they have adhd. We are not docs. I personally would be very uncomfortable even telling parents/student that a student should be tested because something does not seem right unless I had a parent who seemed very open to finding a solution. Some parents can be highly offended by these suggestions. However, that does not mean that we do not suspect it. Educators have lots of kids with adhd and I personally am rarely surprised. Behavior in class usually suggest it and they may suspect you are adhd already. I do not see any harm in teachers knowing, and even some benefits. They may sit you up front in class, get your attention before giving important directions, etc.

Trooper Keith
09-20-09, 09:17 AM
P.S. I'm a dude :D did I come across as feminine? hahahah

:eek:

I didn't think so, I was just going based on what ginniebean said, heehee.

Michiko74
09-21-09, 04:58 PM
I certainly can relate to you not wanting to tell your teachers. It's not like I ran to all of my teachers either.

Your fears are understandable, but remember your teachers are professionals. They should understand that while ADHD makes you unique, and that you shouldn't be singled out and made to feel like you're a leper! :p Remember that all you are responsible for is yourself. Take a hold of your ADHD, and don't use it as an excuse and it's likely your teachers won't either. Y'know what I mean? :) Be upfront and let them know what you need (more flexiblity with deadlines, extra time on tests, etc.)

Personally, I wouldn't go into describing your medications unless you feel comfortable sharing that information. That's your private medical information and I'd keep it that way.

Now it's not to say that you won't run into the odd teacher who may give you a hard time. Don't loose your cool. If you're meeting resistance, best to get your parents or the guidance counsellor involved. You've got enough to deal with, let them handle it.

Good luck to you!

Koric
09-22-09, 01:44 PM
Thanks all, I just got back from my new psychiatrist and he was totally accepting of my decision.

Definitely though, a psychiatrist can't really require a particular form unless it's legal or something. Thanks for all your input though.

Brings to mind a quote:

"Advice is what we ask for when we already know the answer but wish we didn't."

~ Erica Jong

RedSkittles
10-04-09, 01:36 PM
-.- I feel ya'. When the teachers give out Parent/Teacher conference forms it always says mom has to go; and of course she always ends up telling my homeroom teacher and I feel embarressed. I guess I'm just the type of person who likes doing things on my own and likes to feel independant. Besides, it doesn't feel all that great to get more attention than you want to get.