View Full Version : Pediatrician or Psychiarist

Lori07
09-22-09, 01:31 PM
I was wondering the best way to get a diagnosis? I asked my family doctor to refer me to a pediatrician and he is sending us to a psychiatrist. Is a psychiatrist able to diagnose properly? Any help and thoughts would be great thank you.

Dizfriz
09-22-09, 03:55 PM
I was wondering the best way to get a diagnosis? I asked my family doctor to refer me to a pediatrician and he is sending us to a psychiatrist. Is a psychiatrist able to diagnose properly? Any help and thoughts would be great thank you.

Tricky question. With all, it is a matter of training. Psychiatrists are normally considered to have a higher level of training on psychiatric issues. That however depends of the specific training. I have found that often a Psychiatrist who does not really work with Pediatric ADHD (I am assuming this concerns a child) is no better or even possibly worse than a general GP. On the other hand, I have found some Pediatricians are very knowledgeable on the subject and can do a very creditable job.

With all other things being equal, the Psychiatrist might be better as he may be able to pick up on some other psychiatric issues going on that the Ped might miss. Then again, some Peds might be better able to pick up on medical issues that may be mimicking ADHD symptoms.

I would tend to go with your family doc's recommendation as a starting place. He likely knows the physician in question and gives trust accordingly.

This is never a simple question and it has no simple answers.

Good luck which ever way you go.

Dizfriz

canukie
09-23-09, 10:20 PM
You could always get psychological testing done as well, by a qualified psychologist. We started there, found out my son had a learning disabililty, but not enough evidence to support an adhd diagnosis. Lo and behold, a couple of years later the psychiatrist (who in fact specializes in adhd) diagnosed the adhd. It was there all along but we didn't quite "get" the whole pattern....he was never bouncing off walls...it was more subtle. Just ask lots of questions, see what the doc's specialty is and read alot.

Trooper Keith
09-23-09, 11:55 PM
Psychiatrists are physicians who specialized in psychiatry. Pediatricians are physicians who specialized in pediatrics. Both should be able to recognize the potential for general medical conditions. Psychiatrists are trained specifically in psychiatry and so I would trust a psychiatrist to diagnose ADHD before I trusted a pediatrician, unless the pediatrician had a background with ADHD - something you can't really tell from their listing in the hospital registry.

Momofadder
09-24-09, 01:40 PM
We started with a Pediatrician and ended up with a pediatric Psychiatrist. The Phycs. know the medicine much better.

JenE
09-24-09, 03:52 PM
I love my ped and trust him explicitly. My ped said ADHD, anxiety and depression were out of his personal comfort zone so he referred us to an awesome psychiatrist. I respect him for being honest with us. So I think it depends on the ped and his/your comfort level. Personally, I think going straight to a psychiatrist can't be a wrong decision.