View Full Version : Compression and Deep Pressure

Logic
09-24-09, 11:13 AM
To cut a long story short, yesterday I "went off on one" - to quote the words of my older brother.

I had gotten myself worked up in a frenzy about something completely innocuous because I didn't understand it properly... nothing new there :o

My older brother was staying over at mine and got annoyed at me for still being agitated in the evening. He repeatedly tried to get me to sit down or coax me to play Xbox with him, but my head was a mess and I couldn't settle.
The evening degenerated into the pair of us drinking a few cans while he watched a movie on TV, and I paced about doing pointless things, like rearranging the kitchen cupboards and at one stage banging my head on the table as I tried to sit still resulting in me having to stand up again and resume pointless endeavours.

Then I decided that I didn't want to feel like this all night, and asked him if I could ask an odd question... He said "Fire away", and I said; "Will you wrap me in my (weighted) blanket and hold me down, like Dad used to do when we were kids?"

He studied my expression for a minute or so, I guess to ascertain whether or not I was serious before answering; "Only if you return the favour..."

There was a moment of silence and mutual understanding between us.
I fetched my 25lb weighted blanket from the foot of my bed, wrapped it across my shoulders as I went back downstairs and allowed my brother to wrap it tightly around me before getting me to lie on my stomach, he sat across my lower back and wrapped his hands into the fabric, pulling it tighter to increase the pressure, before pressing down between my shoulders a little.

He held me down like that for about 10 minutes, all the while I felt safe, calm, and relaxed. Truthfully, I could have fallen asleep right there on the floor if he hadn't kept asking me if I was alright.
When I got up, I felt like a new man. I didn't feel the need to pace around, or do anything, I could just sit and be calm.
Calmed down or not, I couldn't be selfish, so wrapped my brother up and returned the favour.

Afterwards, we both fell asleep in the living room, he was stretched out across the couch (underneath my blanket I might add!) and I fell asleep on the rug.

This morning, I got up (I did make it into my bed at some point in the night when I woke up feeling cold) and rummaged out some 'compression' clothing, usually reserved for training or running.
I put on a pair of running shorts underneath my usual clothes, and a short sleeved top underneath my shirt.
It's reduced the annoyance I get when the fabric moves against my skin, and made me feel a bit more grounded with the feeling of moderate compression against me.

If you don't have any compression garments, go out to your local running shop and buy some, and if you don't have a weighted blanket or a 15st brother - borrow them off somebody and try it. Well, maybe borrow the blanket anyway... :rolleyes: you need to trust the person implicitly before putting yourself in that position.

I've read a lot of literature on this (Dr.Temple Grandin and the 'squeeze machine' is a good place to start for research on the subject), and while there's always the arguments 'for' and 'against'; having experienced it for myself from an early age, I can honestly say that personally, I get something positive out of it, (possibly why I would act out and 'seek' restraint when I was detained as a young teenager).
I feel settled and grounded afterwards for hours. Fair enough, the feeling subsides, but so do most treatments/approaches. My meds wear off after about 4-6hrs (I'm not intending this to be a replacement for meds, rather an accompanyment as-and-when needed - like yesterday/this morning when I was majorly agitated).

Anyway, I trust my brother and we know each others limits pretty well (even if we didnt respect them as kids:p). He's also medicated ADHD, and knows where I'm coming from when I feel like I just have to keep moving or just be doing something, anything, or I feel like I could burst or explode.

That's the time when experiencing Deep Pressure settles me and helps to calm me down.

Anybody else tried Deep Pressure, or feel like you might get the same benefits that I experienced if you were to try it?
Then please comment and add your own thoughts.

Logic

Logic
10-08-09, 07:04 PM
Over 100 people have read this but not one person has a single comment?

Seems kind of odd as I've read the most vague things in the past on this forum, like "Anybody else hate the colour blue?" and there's a queue of people waiting to say: "Oh wow - me too, I totally hate the colour blue...", and "I can totally relate to that, I've always hated it".
Likewise, there's always somebody that will disagree, but for not a single person to have any opinion, for or against, strikes me as odd ;).

Anyway, I bought the raw materials from a well known internet auction site and enlisted the help of my mother to manufacture a new weighted blanket.
The pre-made ones retail at anywhere between 90 and 180 dollars (the ones you can buy in the UK market are underweight for my needs) for a 15lb blanket. My last one, weighing in at 25lb cost a small fortune, and got stopped at customs as the manufacturer had not paid the UK import tax and I had to make up the difference or stand to lose my package completely.

I bought 15kg of poly beads (33lb) and found some fleece to go with it.
The total cost of the 'raw materials' came to just under 50 pounds (approx 80 US dollars), which is a whole lot cheaper than buying one of this weight 'off the shelf'.
My mother is crafting a blanket 'inner' with the weighted beads sewn inside, and making the fleece into a cover for the whole arrangement.

Looks good so far.

Logic

chips
10-08-09, 08:56 PM
Hi Logic. Only just got out of bed at nearly 10.30am & saw your post yawwn :)
I have often thought about getting a weighted blanket. I love having at night 2 heavy doonas/duvets on me. I really enjoy the weight on me & it is really comforting. Only problem is when is gets to winter, I still want the doonas but its too hot!!
Thanks for posting this, it makes sense to me the weight thing :)

Logic
10-09-09, 04:27 PM
I'll try and post some pics when it's finished. I can't believe how cheaply I got the basic materials for making one.
I used to overheat when I had a couple of blankets on the bed, but it just felt better. Weighted throw/blanket is definitely better.

I smiled when I read 'doona' though, not heard that in a long while.
My parents are aussies, originally from bundaberg and gin-gin.
They hardly use any aussie colloquial words anymore, been in UK too long.

Logic

chamaleon
10-09-09, 04:36 PM
i dunno what to say...apart from brilliant post!! :D

i can imagine loving the benefit of deep compression, and often fantasise about having sex in a tiny confined cupboard. I love the feeling of tonnes of blankets weighing me down and would feel comfort with extreme pressure on top of me. Its not even that sexual, it makes me feel calm. and i am one of the hyper ones :D

Kiddder
10-09-09, 04:55 PM
I...couldn't reply....tried but couldn't free my hands to type....been trapped under compression blankets last three days....couldn't escape......finally freed by delivery driver hearing my cries of panic, maybe I should go a little lighter on weight next time?

Kiddding, obviously.....I was one of the 100 who read and basically understood your need/desire Logic, just honestly have no experience and even less knowledge of the subject to offer thoughts or advice.......I know, I know, that has rarely stopped me before from versing my thoughts, heh heh heh. Hope your "new model" works out.

chips
10-10-09, 11:26 AM
This has made me think of another that comforts me so much is my father when I was in my childhood. He would hug me so tight - he was a very strong big man -, but gee I loved it. I still to this day love having a pair of strong arms squeezing me tight. It makes me feel safe but calm.

Logic
10-20-09, 12:07 PM
It's finished, it's the same size as a double duvet (my bed is king-sized though so it just rests on top nicely), it's a whole 33lb in weight (15 Kg) and I slept under it last night, and I got out of bed about an hour ago (4pm...).

I'll lay it out on the floor and take a pic of the inside construction and outside cover when I can and stick it up here.

Logic

ADXP
12-24-09, 07:56 AM
I noticed that I slept well on any corner in my apt. rather than in a bed. Somehow I like to be bounded. My sleeping corner looks like a dog mat.Round.

Lunacie
12-24-09, 12:01 PM
I've read about weighted blankets and vests, but not about compression clothing. I hate for my clothing to be too tight so I'm guessing that this therapy wouldn't be the right thing for me. I also have issues of claustrophobia so I'm leery about how a weighted blanket would make me feel. I like sleeping under the lightest covers possible to keep me at a comfortable temperature. Funny, I was just talking with my daughter yesterday about sensitivity to clothing, I've always thought she wasn't bothered like my grandchildren and I are, but she mentioned that she just can't stand a heavy sweater or a stiff heavy coat.

Isn't it strange how we can share some of the same traits but find that different things may work for one but not for another.

Logic
12-25-09, 10:49 AM
Ah, I had completely forgotten that I said I'd post pictures of the home-made blanket... Anyhoo... I got a shiny new camera from Santa so I guess there's no excuse now!! :D

Lunacie, you're right. What works for one person won't necessarily work for another, but we all go down the same road searching for something :)
My brother and I like the compression clothing and heavy weighted blankets, both of us actively seek out heavy contact (full contact sports) yet shy away from simple little things like hugging/being hugged, soft touch/contact - but my younger brother is very choosy what fabric he will wear as he's very sensitive to anything remotely 'heavy duty' and scratchy.

Well, I'm off to enjoy a festive tipple and I'll write myself out a post-it reminder to take some photos of that blanket for when the camera is fully charged and operational!

Logic

QueensU_girl
12-28-09, 04:04 PM
Temple Grandin talks about this in her books. She developed something called a 'squeeze machine'.

eggyolkes
03-23-10, 08:16 PM
I love deep pressure. I find that it calms me down when I feel like I am loosing my mind. Since i still live in the dorms my roommate has witnessed me wrapping myself in my blanket, and she thinks i am crazy for it haha. Course, wrapping yourself does not beat an actually weighted blanket, but those are usually crazy expensive, and I am on a college student's income!

fracturedstory
03-24-10, 02:24 AM
I've been thinking about buying myself a weighted blanket. In winter I had this really heavy blanket and I loved the pressure from it.
I feel like just feeling my doona with beads, because I can't be bothered with buying materials or sewing.

Juice
07-04-10, 03:25 PM
Every one of my senses is hypersensitive

I am also a bit claustrophobic ( a weighted blanket would make me feel trapped) and I have many many clothing issues however give me a deep massage and I am focused and in the moment BIG TIME. I LOVE it!
I also like really tall ( if available over 6'4 ;)), strong men holding me tight - makes me feel calm.

Seeker of peace
08-22-14, 11:30 AM
I don't know if I'm posting this right or even if you are still reading responses this late but I thank you for sharing your story. I have had ADHD my entire life, obviously, and at 53 have just discovered compression clothing! It is like a tiny miracle! I can't believe how contained and in control of my body I am. It does provide a calming effect. I wonder if it has to do with our nerves. I also suffer from anxiety and that feeling of ever impending something...Medication has worked wonders and with the addition of the compression clothing I feel like a new person. I'm also a teacher and watch many children suffer with lack of impulse control. They move around at the speed of light and are forever hurting other kids, not intentionally and aggravating their classmates. I appreciate having information that I can suggest to parents that might actually help.

On a side note, I was in Scotland 2 summers ago with my family. What a beautiful country and beautiful people!

Katmar
01-10-15, 12:47 PM
I know this is an older post but I felt inclined to reply. My dd whom will soon be 4 has spd, as well as ADHD. I have add. I will wrap her on my back when she seems overwhelmed, or hold her tight and just rock and gently sing to her to help calm her back down. She now comes to me with a wrap or carrier and tell me she needs wrapped on my back. It actually helps center us both. I am in the process of making her a weighted blanket.