View Full Version : Could you call this depression?

hideout
09-24-09, 05:57 PM
I was diagnosed with adhd and depression recently. I met all the criteria for depression - problems sleeping, there along time etc. low mood.

I don't feel that completely depressed feeling though - I know what that's like after taking illegal drugs.

I just feel disconnected. I don't have that real empty feeling but I have a really low mood and can't socialize or concentrate on anything at all. The odd time I get into a phase for a few days where I snap out of it and really get good at socializing etc. etc. and the low mood completely dissapears but always come back. This change is was triggered the first time by hypnosis. The last time this happened was when I started on strattera a few weeks ago. I've learned that when I'm going back to low mood phase I start getting really angry - it's like as if this up I've been having is not a natural phase or something and I have to snap back to the low mood I'm always in.

Anyways is this depression? Or is depression that real empty blue feeling only. I notice alot of people that are really depressed are still able to talk and hold some sort of train of thought. I can't string a sentence together most of the time and my head is full of noise. I often feel that the only way out is suicide. I always have strings of hope and know I'm capable of more so I keep keep trying - dunno when this hope is going to run out. I think if I can't get medication to fix this I'm going to have no choice but to give up. I suppose I'll have to figure out then if I can live it but I don't think I could. I'd have little problem killing myself if it wasn't for religous beliefs and family.

novagal
09-24-09, 06:06 PM
Anyways is this depression? Or is depression that real empty blue feeling. I notice alot of people that are really depressed are still able to talk and hold some sort of train of thought. I can't string a sentence together most of the time and my head is full of noise.

When I'm in a depression, I feel much like you're describing. Not everyone has the same symptoms. I've been in angry depressions too, where I was just angry all the time, for months.

I'd always thought that depression meant feeling sad and crying a lot, but that's not true for a lot of people.

When you say "disconnected", that's a perfect description of how I feel when I'm depressed. There are varying degrees of depression as well.

hideout
09-24-09, 06:11 PM
When I'm in a depression, I feel much like you're describing. Not everyone has the same symptoms. I've been in angry depressions too, where I was just angry all the time, for months.

I'd always thought that depression meant feeling sad and crying a lot, but that's not true for a lot of people.

When you say "disconnected", that's a perfect description of how I feel when I'm depressed. There are varying degrees of depression as well.

Would you say it feels like your nowhere - in limbo?

I don't feel sad, I don't feel happy, I don't feel anything. I think if I did at least feel probably depressed and empty then I'd have some sort of identity. I think if I had that I'd feel like I actually fit in somewhere or something.

livinginchaos
09-24-09, 07:00 PM
When I have low grade depression, I'm "disconnected" as well. "in Limbo" is another good description.
I think you're definitely describing depression.

QueensU_girl
09-24-09, 09:30 PM
Sounds a bit dissociative too. That can be an internal or external disconnection.

e.g. depersonalization (feeling empty and disconnective) is one kind of dissociative experience. It is common with depression and anxiety.