View Full Version : Anyone taking Seroquel XR?

gnbeg
09-25-09, 07:00 PM
My pdoc wants me to try Seroquel XR. I'm on the normal Seroquel. I'm struggling to find a good dose. 300mg is too much- fog in the morning. 200mg and I wake up too early. He thinks the XR might have more of a level effect. In addition to insomia, I also take Seroquel for bipolor leveling.

I guess I would need to take it around 6-7pm?

Anyone taking Seroquel SR?

CedarPark
09-26-09, 09:45 AM
I have been diagnosed with Bipolar I and take lithium as my main mood stabilizer. I also take 300mg of Seroquel at 8 a.m. each night, in bed by 9, awake at 6:30 a.m., regular as clockwork. My psychiatrist switched me to Seroquel XR (stands for extended release) and it worked awfully, and I switched back to non-XR after less than a month. AstraZeneca the Seroquel drugmaker owns the most profitable drug in the world with Seroquel, and the patent is about to run out, meaning generics will flood the field. So AstraZeneca is trying to get doctors to switch patients to Seroquel XR, the patent for which last YEARS longer. At many psychiatrist offices, you will find no samples left by drug reps for plain Seroquel, but tons of samples for Seroquel XR. It's criminal! My problem with XR is that there was not enough of the dosage to knock me out in the evenings, and too much of the dosage left to be released when I woke up in the morning. The Seroquel XR kept releasing medicine to me all day long, leaving me sleepy all the time, and it didn't release nearly enough medicine to get me to sleep; I had to supplement with Xanax to get sleepy.

bumblebe
09-27-09, 11:18 PM
I have tried both. The XR hit me just as strong and in the same amount of time as the SR, and I would still wake up at some point during the night on the XR just like the SR.

I dont mind waking up during the night when im able to fall back to sleep easily.
( and I can either way )
I cant tell a differance....

I have a question: Seriquil is know for its side effect of gaining weight. I thought mabe it was due to an increase in appetite. but after doing a bit of research I found its not about the food intake its about how your body digests the food.

has anyone noticed a weight gain?

gnbeg
09-28-09, 02:11 PM
I have tried both. The XR hit me just as strong and in the same amount of time as the SR, and I would still wake up at some point during the night on the XR just like the SR.

I dont mind waking up during the night when im able to fall back to sleep easily.
( and I can either way )
I cant tell a differance....

I have a question: Seriquil is know for its side effect of gaining weight. I thought mabe it was due to an increase in appetite. but after doing a bit of research I found its not about the food intake its about how your body digests the food.

has anyone noticed a weight gain?

No weight gain for me. I've been on the stuff for a few years- 3yrs? But, I'm fairly slim for my height righ now. (5'11" 150lbs). I'm also pretty active. THe other risk (among many :-( ) is for diabetes. My docs do bloodwork about twice a year.

gnbeg
09-28-09, 02:14 PM
I have been diagnosed with Bipolar I and take lithium as my main mood stabilizer. I also take 300mg of Seroquel at 8 a.m. each night, in bed by 9, awake at 6:30 a.m., regular as clockwork. My psychiatrist switched me to Seroquel XR (stands for extended release) and it worked awfully, and I switched back to non-XR after less than a month. AstraZeneca the Seroquel drugmaker owns the most profitable drug in the world with Seroquel, and the patent is about to run out, meaning generics will flood the field. So AstraZeneca is trying to get doctors to switch patients to Seroquel XR, the patent for which last YEARS longer. At many psychiatrist offices, you will find no samples left by drug reps for plain Seroquel, but tons of samples for Seroquel XR. It's criminal! My problem with XR is that there was not enough of the dosage to knock me out in the evenings, and too much of the dosage left to be released when I woke up in the morning. The Seroquel XR kept releasing medicine to me all day long, leaving me sleepy all the time, and it didn't release nearly enough medicine to get me to sleep; I had to supplement with Xanax to get sleepy.

Thanks. My pdoc wants me to take the XR around 7pm. I am a little worried that it will either be in effect too soon and I can't do anything in the evening or it won't be strong enough to get me to sleep when I go to bed. Or it won't keep me to sleep all night. But I am going to give it a shot. I've always go the regular to fall back on.

JR1973
09-28-09, 03:56 PM
Just keep in mind that until you cross the 400mg dosage you are only taking a super-strong anti-histamine.

If this sounds strange (and it does), read this link....

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html

bumblebe
10-06-09, 12:02 AM
Just keep in mind that until you cross the 400mg dosage you are only taking a super-strong anti-histamine.

If this sounds strange (and it does), read this link....

http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2007/07/the_most_important_article_on.html
wow! that was super interesting. so thats why seroquel puts me to sleep!
that explains why my doc perscribed hydroxyz to help sleep. I dont understand why then the hydroxyz doesnt work? not at all i never get tired on it so i dont take it. i never knew seroquel is an antihistamine! weird

thank you for the link JR1973.

JR1973
10-07-09, 09:37 AM
Yep. The antidepressant Remeron is very similar too (side effects). In low doses Remeron is so sedating it is ridiculous. My first day on it I had to call in sick and even after taking 400mg of Provigil and 30mg of Adderall XR I still couldn't get out of bed to half-way function.
I could only tolerate it for 2 days. As you increase the dose the sedation goes away.

Somewhere on his website he has a good article about Benedryl (anti-histamine) and how it actually has equal activity to the serotonin receptors as it does with the H1 receptors (meaning that the more Benedryl you take the less sedating and actually stimulates you).