View Full Version : Do you want to get rid of brain fog??

Steve UK
09-26-09, 10:55 PM
I've had brain fog for about 30 years now, but for one short period it dissapeared - completely

Want to know what I was doing to get rid of it?

during a summer break from college I took up karate, got me fit, and after about 6 weeks I realised the brain fog had cleared.

I've gotten fit at other times of my life but the brain fog remained, so what was the difference back then when I was doing karate?

The training we did built strength - done that since with no improvement to the fog.

It built stamina - done that since too, again with no improvement

It increased flexibility - again i've done that since, and again with no improvement.

It built balance - thats the only thing I havent worked on.

Been researching on the net - people who have had bilateral injury to the inner ear damaging their balance organs get - guess what - brain fog, inatention, and confusion. sound familiar?

There are also an enormous amount of studies concerning the interaction between balance and short term memory.

What were the main balance exercises we did?

Kicking - we were set a "homework" of kicking - the intention of the practice was for us to concentrate on the "form" - kicking with the correct technique.

We would practise this every single day.

I would assume the kicking position, i.e. stood on one leg, with the other knee brought up to kick height, then extend and return the kick slowly, concentrating on technique, also seeing how high I could kick (depends on stretching really, but I dont think it's a necessaty). I would also be trying to do as many kicks as I could without having to return my foot to the floor.

This was done for both front and side kicks, side kicks being the most chalenging as with practise you would have your body leant right over to the side and balance like that for ages.

I'm going to try to motivate myself to do it again, and will post my results on here, anyone else want to give it a try and post how you get on?

FrazzleDazzle
09-26-09, 11:18 PM
Hi Steve! Would you be able to post a link to any of the studies regarding balance and short-term memory? As you can see from my siggy, my son went through the Dore program, which targets strengthening cerebellar function. He did a lot of balance activities in the program, including a lot of work on a balance board. One of his off-board exercises was just like the kicking work you are doing. I suppose some yoga sets would help as well?

Balance activities are used a lot in other therapeutic and rehabilitation settings as well, for those with head injuries, stroke, neurological disease, etc., where balance needs to be strengthened. A couple of years ago I had attempted to find a connection with therapeutic balance work and any incidental improvement in cognition, but could not find anything that also tracked cognition improvements as part of the case studies. :(

It's interesting that you found the kicking exercises help you!

Steve UK
09-26-09, 11:45 PM
one article on the inner ear damage states:

"Many people with bilateral vestibulopathy complain of a mild confusion or "brain fog," which is attributed to the increased attention needed to maintain balance and vision. This reduces the amount of attention that is available for other thinking tasks."

and can be found here:

http://www.american-hearing.org/disorders/bilat/bilateral_vestibulopathy.html

One on yoga and balance exercising says in its introduction:

"Peck and Kehle (2005) found that elementary school children who engaged in 30 minutes of yogic practices (by following a videotaped yoga session) twice a week for three weeks increased their time on task (paying attention to the teacher or task at hand) during the three week period and at a later follow-up date, while their classmates’ time on task remained essentially unchanged. Similar work by Manjunath and Telles (2004) studied the performance scores of children aged 11 to 16 years on verbal and spatial memory tests for two groups, one attending a yoga camp and the other a fine arts camp. Both groups were tested initially and after 10 days of their respective interventions. At the final assessment, the yoga group showed a significant increase (43%) in spatial memory while the fine arts (and a control group) showed no change. The results suggest that yoga practice, including physical postures and yoga breathing improve delayed recall of spatial information."

and can be found here:

http://www.athleticinsight.com/Vol9Iss2/YogaMemory.htm

Unfortunately many of the ones on studues of balance / short term memory affects have to be paid for but the abstracts tell the tale:

"A discussion is given concerning possible interactions of balance with spatial ability and M-space, i.e., the span of short-term memory. Thirty graduate statistics students were the subjects in an investigation that revealed a sizable Balance by spatial by M-space triple interaction."

Here:

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/custom/portlets/recordDetails/detailmini.jsp?_nfpb=true&_&ERICExtSearch_SearchValue_0=EJ266072&ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=EJ266072

And:

"The authors measured postural sway while participants (N = 20 in each experiment) stood on a rigid or a compliant surface, with their eyes open or closed, and while they did or did not perform a short-term memory (STM) task. In Experiment 1, the STM stimuli were presented visually; in Experiment 2, the stimuli were presented auditorily. In both experiments, fine-scaled, mediolateral postural-sway variability decreased as the cognitive load imposed by the STM task increased. That effect was independent of support surface and vision manipulations. The spatiotemporal profile of postural sway was affected by both visual and auditory STM tasks, but to a greater degree by the auditory task. The authors discuss implications of the results for theories and models of postural control."

Here:

http://www.find-health-articles.com/rec_pub_15967756-effects-visual-auditory-short-term-memory-tasks-spatiotemporal.htm

EDIT: Oh I meant to add, I think it is not just the balancing that is important, but the movement while balancing, effectively increasing the the computational load.

I would be very interested to hear if there are any gymnasts, dancers (not saturday night jiggers), free-runners, etc who get brain fog

stef
09-27-09, 02:33 AM
very interesting; I wrote in the get fit thread, that I had bought this "exercise ball" (now sitting in my living room mocking me, unfortunately) -but these very non strenuous exercises involve some balance and I really did feel pretty good the days I was using it regularly. - I thought it was just that I was so happy that I was finally doing some exercise !

Steve UK
09-27-09, 05:56 AM
Hi Mods,

Thanks for moving this to the forum on "exercise" where few will see it, however this is not about "exercise", it is about "brain fog" and relief from it, I think it is important to those who get brain fog (just about everyone from what I gather), not just those who can motivate to exercise. That is why I didnt put it in exercise in the first place.

thank you

justcallmedorie
09-28-09, 09:44 AM
{Sigh}...I am sooooo screwed. I have periodic dizzy spells that nobody has been able to figure out, they come and go for no apparent reason, and boy do I have brain fog - a lot of times even on my meds...:(

Layla771
07-27-10, 10:45 AM
WOW, fascinating!!

I've had troubles with balance too, so... hmm?