View Full Version : Dakota got the lead role...

Nucking_Futs
05-15-04, 11:21 PM
My 10 year old got the lead role in a community play. I'm so nervous I can't even tell you how many lines he has to memorize and I'm so worried he'll have a low functioning day and mess up he'll never forgive himself. It just seem's like an awful lot of stress to put on a little kids shoulders. He keeps telling me "Gawd, ma stop freaken, I got it" But, his self esteem is so fragile and besides it's MY job to worry about what can go wrong and his to think about what can go right. Right? I just know that Tuesday will not come and go fast enough for me.

Jellybean
05-15-04, 11:43 PM
Wow thats great! He must be a talented little guy! My boy wants to do some theater too. I bet he'll do great, he must have done an excellent audition.

apcpapergirl
05-15-04, 11:47 PM
Congrats & BIG hugs to Dakota. Way to go!

Vickie

waywardclam
05-17-04, 10:30 AM
Oh, Futsy, I am so HAPPY to hear about this! Please don't ruin his experience by letting your nerves be the only thing he remembers about it.

I know how hard it is to watch your kid dancing on the edge of a precipice!!!

Theatre can be SO positive for kids and I personally think it may be one of the best possible experiences that a kid with ADD can have. I could rant for hours about the good it has done me and the friends I have made in it... theatre people are so accepting of who you are... and there is so much room for achievement and good feelings.

Relax and take a deep breath Cherity. Please try to help this be as positive an experience for him as possible. You don't want to frighten him away from the stage.

Nucking_Futs
05-18-04, 03:17 PM
Well, we just got back from his first experiance as a lead actor. And he was WONDERFUL!!!!! Unfortunatly, he will remember his mother but not for her nerves but for the jumping up and down and screaming "That's MY boy!!!!" at the end but hey it got him a standing ovation and me a much humiliated "mOOOther!!!" eek. The dreaded MOTHER word *cringes*. I've promised to keep the clapping to a minnimum and the screaming to a dull roar after his next performances. But, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret...I saw him grin as he walked away----SO HA "MOTHER" that!!!!! lol

Lattebon
05-18-04, 08:21 PM
That's great! :)

Thanks for sharing about this wonderful experience for Dakota on the boards.

You go Dakota!

waywardclam
05-20-04, 01:00 PM
*happy sigh*

Nucking_Futs
05-20-04, 01:44 PM
:( Well, we went to the second day and Koda forgot two lines and is kicking himself to death about it. The funny thing is I know this play inside and out spending days and nights working on memorizing his lines with him and I didn't even notice he covered that well. But, he wasn't perfect :rolleyes: right now his director and the rest of the family are trying to assure him that perfect is over rated anyways. I should know lmbo ;)

waywardclam
05-21-04, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Nucking_Futs
:( Well, we went to the second day and Koda forgot two lines and is kicking himself to death about it. The funny thing is I know this play inside and out spending days and nights working on memorizing his lines with him and I didn't even notice he covered that well. But, he wasn't perfect :rolleyes: right now his director and the rest of the family are trying to assure him that perfect is over rated anyways. I should know lmbo ;)

Only experience will get him past that.

We have a saying in our local theatre community, it may be everywhere else too for all I know... "It's not a show until something goes wrong." There is no such THING as a perfect show. There are too many people, too many things involved... the best you can hope for is that the mistakes get covered or unnoticed or fixed at the last minute. Sounds to me like he gave a professional quality performance. :D

biker
05-21-04, 12:43 PM
CONGRATS TO KODA. Sounds like he did fine. It his is first lead role. Its rehearsal also. Hope he does not take it 2 hard. I am no expert on acting so just take the congrats!! :D

CJsMOM28
05-21-04, 06:36 PM
Congratulations Dakota, Knock em dead! :)
I'm sure he will do fine, I know if you are a worry wart like me, it usually ends up us Moms being soo worked up and everything turns out better than we expected,but It's just embread in us Mothers! I couldn't give any advice better than the previous posters, I'll be thinking of you guys, keep us posted!

:)

Tracy

Nucking_Futs
05-22-04, 01:10 PM
Tonight will be the last night the play is performed and Dakota is so nervous since his last time. We've just kept telling him that NOONE noticed not even me. I don't know I'm sure he'll be fine he's pretty good at covering his own patooty. lol

krisp
05-24-04, 08:28 AM
Three cheers for Dakota! I'm sure he was brilliant. :D

Nucking_Futs
05-25-04, 08:41 AM
He was really nervous and started mumbling his lines around the part he messed up before but as soon as he got past that part he was loud and clear. I figure it was definatly a learning experiance for the both of us. Yes, he screwed up BUT nobody held it against him.

waywardclam
05-25-04, 03:39 PM
*hugs of happiness*

Nucking_Futs
05-25-04, 05:46 PM
Thank you very much and hugs of happiness right back at ya.