View Full Version : Whats best meds for fibro?

leana
09-30-09, 01:41 PM
I struggle with fibro,along with a few other problems daily.i was wondering what works best for other people.

1.i take pain meds,for the pain{have back problems as well}
2.i take vyvanse in the am,and adderall at 3pm as booster.i take these for add,but stimulants are supposed to help with the fatigue as well.
3. Miralax for the constipation
4.valium,if needed for spasms.
5.ativan- for sleeping problems.
Even with taking these meds,im always wondering if im taking the right meds.expecially the vyvanse and adderall.they dont really get me up,and get me going like you would think.does anyone know what works the best for fatigue? My insurance wont cover provigil,so i cant try that.and i feel tired so much all day,i wont take a valium if needed until after supper.with the cold weather coming,ive been getting more stiff,and its hard just to try to get dressed by noon,and get any errands done.i usually wont leave the house until 3pm,then i head strait to get a coffee first,to get me moving.is this how it always is with fibro people? Or is there a different med out there that would improve my life during the day?

Trooper Keith
09-30-09, 06:36 PM
Lyrica is the only drug I know of off the top of my head approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia. I think I've heard of gabapentin being used off label for it as well.

leana
09-30-09, 10:04 PM
Lyrica is the only drug I know of off the top of my head approved for the treatment of fibromyalgia. I think I've heard of gabapentin being used off label for it as well.

yes,but both of those cause weight gain,and more fatigue!

Trooper Keith
09-30-09, 10:08 PM
Have you taken them before and had these side effects? They may cause weight gain and may cause more fatigue. That doesn't mean they will.

leana
10-01-09, 11:01 AM
Have you taken them before and had these side effects? They may cause weight gain and may cause more fatigue. That doesn't mean they will.

yes,actually i did try both of them.i was much more tired,and i did gain some weight,they seemed to make you retain water.anyway,after going that route,it seems it best to address each separate problem with the correct med.im just a little confused on whats for what sometimes.

*KJ*
10-01-09, 11:23 AM
A friend of mine sent this to me, I thought you may find it interesting:
http://honestmedicine.typepad.com/ebook-sept%2014%2009-The%20Faces%20of%20Low%20Dose%20Naltrexone.pdf

hollywood
10-07-09, 02:26 PM
stress and anxiety cause conflict in the mind and will tax both you and your nervous system. Most of the these drugs treat the symptoms and not the cause but thats a different story. Honestly , IGF1 or Growth Hormone probably would treat this without fail.

kivlanmaron
11-12-09, 09:50 PM
a lot of people in the forum I'm in take Lyrica...seems to work for some and not for others. I'm a huge proponent of natural remedies because I have seen them work for close friends with fibro. Believe me, I was always a total skeptic when it came to that kind of thing, until my friend Lisa finally found some relief after years of different meds. I try to tell everyone about this guy because I can't even tell you the difference it has made in her life. His name is Dr. Howard G. Groshell, Jr. and he lives in Florida but there is a great website with lots of resources and info on his work. I'm not sure where in the country you're located but if you have the means, go see him! or get in touch. there's also a great social forum on his site - fibrofreelife.com, and some stories about patients he has helped. hope this helps, if you have any questions please let me know.

INaBOX
11-16-09, 11:27 PM
aI'm a huge proponent of natural remedies because I have seen them work for close friends with fibro.

what kind of remedies?

Louder Than Love
11-29-09, 09:40 PM
I don't know of any remedies,per se.... My mother is a sufferer of FMS, and she's pretty well controlled with 100 mcg fentanyl, and 60- 80 mg Oxycodone daily.

Im trying to get her to try accupuncture....
its oh so blissful..
But, shes happy.

ToadysFroggy
12-08-09, 05:23 PM
I have had diagnosed Fibro since 1997 but have probably had it since a head on collision in 1988... I have found a good cocktail for my management of Fibro... 300 mg of Trazadone and 30 mg of Cymbalta for sleep management as well as Depression.. 50 mg of Lyrica up to three times a day and I take 50 mg of Vyvanse for my ADD. I try not to take anything else for pain but if I do, it is generally just Advil because taking Lyrica three times a day, generally does the trick. Before being on Lyrica up to three times a day, I was in need of Vicodin, Dilaudid or anything strong like that. Sometimes I still do need those heavy duty medications but not as much as I once did.

Sometimes we have to be willing to gain a few pounds to rid ourselves of pain... funny, as I am writing this, there is a commercial for Lyrica.

Good luck!

NurseNikki
12-10-09, 12:20 PM
Ok well I have ADD/ADHD, Fibro, Cronic Fatigue Syndrome, Insomnia, and of course anxiety and depression. I actually am a nurse too. I can tell you my personal experience.
I have been on everything for fibro and Lyrica is the only thing that works for me but I'm on 300mg at night. I've tried all the narcotics, and patches but i like to try to stay off those and they didn't really work anyways, just kinda got me high, which isn't good. I can't sleep cause the pain and stiffness. I also take flexiril or robaxin for the stiffness every night. I avoid the valium becuase its extremely sedating as well. flexiril and robaxin are muscle relaxers. I try to minimize my Lyrica during the day so take a super low dose if needed. I find if I get enough sleep the pain is much better during the day for me. I also find if I miss and forget to take my muscle relaxers I have more pain in the morning.
For the ADD/ADHD I take Adderall XR 20mg because I'm in school and XR is longer release. My boyfriend has to make sure I wake up and he watches me take it when he gets up at 5am or I'm not getting up before 10am. The adderall XR helps with my fatigue. I was on , Ritalin=> Adderall=> Adderall IR=> Adderall XR. Once on XR it really helped because I didn't need a 'booster'. My doctor told me if I need a booster then its just my meds aren't working for me.
I used to take provigil and it works wonders for my fatigue without clouding my brain but i don't have insurance and had to minimize my expenses, it didn't make the cut.
So all together I'm on, and my monthly cost
Lyrica 300mg at bedtime $260
Flexiril or Robaxin at bedtime $120
Adderall XR 20mg at 5am $$294
Lyrica 25mg as needed for pain during the day... thank fully still have left and haven't had to fill

I also take prenatal vitamins because its way more vitamins and I find I have a horrible time keeping a good diet. I also take JuicePlus $30 a month.

I can't say that what works for me would work for you. If my fibro gets worse my lyrica goes up. I have anxiety and depression, well because I'm sick and have health problems. I try to stay off those meds unless I get really down. I also find that although I hate it and am too tired I go to the gym, sometimes I just sit in the steam room or walk the tread mill is i'm feeling good. But I go every day no matter what, most of the time I don't do much if any. Some days I actually do but all the others, eh. It just helps if I go there then deal with the hurdle of doing something or steaming, or hot tub.

So i hope this give you some insight into somebody else who kinda has a similar boat. Provigil might be an out of pocket pill you pay for but if it works for you then it works. a ton of the pharmacuetical companies have programs to help you pay for their meds if they aren't covered.

hope this helps

sarey
12-10-09, 12:25 PM
^^
its Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but the name it is also gone by or has better defintion(as it is not just fatigue, and is a heck of alot more than that,i should know...i have it) is
Myalgic Encephalopathy/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Trooper Keith
12-10-09, 12:54 PM
There are currently three medications approved for fibromyalgia: Lyrica, Cymbalta, and Savella. Does anyone have any experience with Savella? It's new in the US as of this year and I haven't heard much about it.

NurseNikki
12-10-09, 01:03 PM
^^
its Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, but the name it is also gone by or has better defintion(as it is not just fatigue, and is a heck of alot more than that,i should know...i have it) is
Myalgic Encephalopathy/Myalgic Encephalomyelitis

Yes I forgot the h in chronic sorry... Not trying to tell her she has it or confuse her with anything else besides the fibro and ADD/ADHD. And things I have been trying to aide in my fatigue as well as my pain and ADD/ADHD.
Sorry I offended you but you seem a bit touchy with this. I am only trying to address things she has relation to and help her understand hat works for others who have similar problems. I didn't find the need to go into my hair color, sex of my cat or the fact i also have diabetes and wear acrylic nails.
I don't know your severity but everyone is different. Currently most of my problems are at a minimal stage after a severe attack lasting for quite a while.

sarey
12-10-09, 01:30 PM
ok... well, good day 2 u.

ToadysFroggy
12-10-09, 10:11 PM
Ok well I have ADD/ADHD, Fibro, Cronic Fatigue Syndrome, Insomnia, and of course anxiety and depression. I actually am a nurse too. I can tell you my personal experience.
I have been on everything for fibro and Lyrica is the only thing that works for me but I'm on 300mg at night. I've tried all the narcotics, and patches but i like to try to stay off those and they didn't really work anyways, just kinda got me high, which isn't good. I can't sleep cause the pain and stiffness. I also take flexiril or robaxin for the stiffness every night. I avoid the valium becuase its extremely sedating as well. flexiril and robaxin are muscle relaxers. I try to minimize my Lyrica during the day so take a super low dose if needed. I find if I get enough sleep the pain is much better during the day for me. I also find if I miss and forget to take my muscle relaxers I have more pain in the morning.
For the ADD/ADHD I take Adderall XR 20mg because I'm in school and XR is longer release. My boyfriend has to make sure I wake up and he watches me take it when he gets up at 5am or I'm not getting up before 10am. The adderall XR helps with my fatigue. I was on , Ritalin=> Adderall=> Adderall IR=> Adderall XR. Once on XR it really helped because I didn't need a 'booster'. My doctor told me if I need a booster then its just my meds aren't working for me.
I used to take provigil and it works wonders for my fatigue without clouding my brain but i don't have insurance and had to minimize my expenses, it didn't make the cut.
So all together I'm on, and my monthly cost
Lyrica 300mg at bedtime $260
Flexiril or Robaxin at bedtime $120
Adderall XR 20mg at 5am $$294
Lyrica 25mg as needed for pain during the day... thank fully still have left and haven't had to fill

I also take prenatal vitamins because its way more vitamins and I find I have a horrible time keeping a good diet. I also take JuicePlus $30 a month.

I can't say that what works for me would work for you. If my fibro gets worse my lyrica goes up. I have anxiety and depression, well because I'm sick and have health problems. I try to stay off those meds unless I get really down. I also find that although I hate it and am too tired I go to the gym, sometimes I just sit in the steam room or walk the tread mill is i'm feeling good. But I go every day no matter what, most of the time I don't do much if any. Some days I actually do but all the others, eh. It just helps if I go there then deal with the hurdle of doing something or steaming, or hot tub.

So i hope this give you some insight into somebody else who kinda has a similar boat. Provigil might be an out of pocket pill you pay for but if it works for you then it works. a ton of the pharmacuetical companies have programs to help you pay for their meds if they aren't covered.

hope this helps

Just thought you might want to know, you can save on your flexeril if the doctor writes you a script for the generic and you can get it for four dollars at target or walmart...plus certain pharmaceutical companies have assistance for those who can't afford their meds.

forinstants
03-24-10, 10:28 AM
What works for me: 2 50mg tabs Savella per day. I had to put up with horrible side effects for two weeks tritation (read: pure hell -- sweating, heart racing, hot/cold fever, dizzy spells, etc. -- that can last up to two months.) Because I read online that if you wait out the 2 week to 2 month hell, you may experience a miracle, I stuck it out -- and got my miracle. Savella saved me. It masks the pain so well.

I tried Lyrica, but it made me feel/act drunk and irresponsible (think giggling teen without a care in the world) to the point where the consequences gave me suicidal ideation (or was it Lyrica? Doesn't matter. Took myself off (notified pdoc of course).)

I also take 2-50mg tabs Tramadol 2x a day to control skin sensitivity (nearly 100% effective; so nice to be hugged by S8 again :)!) and help with RLS symptoms (not 100% effective for this.)

I have 500mg tabs of hydrocodone for particlarly bad days, but only and up using these a couple times a week. (Migraines/neck or back pain not resolved with Savella.)

LOVE, love having gone from 4-500 tabs of hydrocodone (generic Vicadin) per day -- to just 2 tabs per WEEK -- after Savella.

rayneonthemoon
03-25-10, 09:35 PM
I am on a high dose of Neurontin, and also take Naproxen and a muscle relaxant (as needed). I would say that 85% of the time I am pain free, but I still have my fibro moments. Unfortunately, the past two days have been just that...

hollywood
04-01-10, 02:08 PM
advil and sleep.

Sit-n-Spin
04-01-10, 05:21 PM

I have and they do - a lot!

They can affect your blood sugar.

Yes to getting the Flexeril instead of the new extended release (by another brand name) that is Flexeril. It's a lot cheaper to just take two Flexeril a day.

tammyv
03-10-11, 03:34 AM
I like tramadol. its great best no side effects.

Arei
03-18-11, 04:26 AM
The only thing I ever took that made me feel like I could go out and wrestle a bull was Mobic. I took this in combo with nexium for 2 weeks and was on cloud 9000.

I'd later come to take Nexium all the time, which has eliminated all my stomach and acid problems, but the pain remains :(

Though some people take Mobic daily, its a powerful NSAID that's probably not good on the long term. But oh man, it was brilliant.

I can no longer take anti-depressants. The only thing I can tolerate is a mood stabilizer called Symbyax but it does nothing for pain. My mood will be altered enough for the better if this pain was just GONE!

broK
04-08-11, 01:43 AM
Avinza & Lyrica. im also taking Cymbalta which may be helping also along with Metadate CD, Abilify, & vitamins

hollywood
05-12-11, 09:28 AM
testosterone , along with hormone replacement therapy and monitoring of Growth hormone levels.

broK
07-22-11, 08:39 PM
here i get to make a change...just lost my job & cant afford my lyrica anymore. Dr is giving me neurontin instead, we'll see how that works, but for now between the heat & the stress, im dog tired & in a world of hurtin.
i refuse to give up my avinza

Trooper Keith
07-22-11, 09:22 PM
Really the best treatment for fibromyalgia likely can be found in psychoanalytic psychotherapy, seeing as it's seemingly most likely a somatization defense.

Lunacie
07-22-11, 09:45 PM
stress and anxiety cause conflict in the mind and will tax both you and your nervous system. Most of the these drugs treat the symptoms and not the cause but thats a different story. Honestly , IGF1 or Growth Hormone probably would treat this without fail.

Sometimes it's good when older threads get bumped. :D

I had forgotten that my daughter and I took HGH for a few months about 7 years ago. I was crediting the lack of stress (divorce yay!) and taking Omega 3 (fish oil) with my Fibromyalgia remission, but it's possible the HGH had some part in it. But mostly, I think, it was the change in stress levels when I finally decided to get the divorce. :p