View Full Version : Help! What is wrong with me??

thekh
09-30-09, 08:56 PM
Just a little background... I am a 20 years old female. Diagnosed with OCD at age 11, but have had symptoms for as long as I can remember. Over the years, I've had most OCD symptoms imaginable. Currently, my obsessions and compulsions have to do with touching/tapping things, symmetry, cleaning, checking, and doing things certain numbers of times. If I don't do my compulsions, I usually feel like something bad will happen or I have the "just not right" feeling, which I guess you can't really understand unless you have OCD. I'm on medication for OCD/anxiety, and I've tried CBT therapy numerous times, but nothing has seemed to help.
Anyway, the point of this post is that I also have a few other symptoms that seem similar to OCD, but I don't think they are. For example, I jerk my head/neck a lot and also do this thing where I move my jaw and pop my ear. I also make a kind of clicking noise in the back of my throat. It's not too loud, but it's there. The head shaking and jaw-popping sometimes happen so much that I end up in physical pain, but I can not stop. When I was younger I also had blinking twitches, knuckle popping twitches, throat clearing, and a few others, but nothing major.
I know tourettes and OCD are often co-morbid conditions and I'm really scared the symptoms I mentioned may be tourettes related. When I have to do compulsions, it's like a mental feeling to me. It's like a mental thought/feeling that builds up and builds up until I have to do it. I just can't concentrate on anything else if I don't. The tic-like symptoms are different though. It's more of a physical discomfort that builds up if I don't do them. I can hold them back for the most part when I'm around people, but when I'm alone, they go crazy. Is this tourettes or could it just be OCD related somehow?
The other thing I didn't mention above is that sometime when I hear a certain word (especially on TV), I feel a strong urge to repeat it a few times until it "feels right". I can't tell if this is an OCD urge or more like the twitches I mentioned. It kind of seems like it falls somewhere in between if that's possible.
Does this sound like tourettes? I'm so freaking scared. I want to stop this so bad, but I don't know how or what to do. Please help!

thekh
10-01-09, 01:24 AM
Also wanted to add that the repeating words on TV thing doesn't happen that often, so this is why I think it might be OCD, not be a tic. It only occurs maybe every few days, and when it does, it's usually only about 4 times that day. How often does something have to occur to be considered a tic?

zarazz
10-01-09, 07:04 PM
first off, welcome to the forums, second off the most difficult thing when it comes to this type of thing it can be really hard telling the difference between complex tics and compulsions. I addressed this in a post I made a while back http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67278 it is true add, ocd, and tic disorders are very commonly co-morbid, I would sugest that you talk to a shrink about this but in this case , in my and others personal experiences, will do nothing for you because docs just get so timid when the topic of tics comes up. I would suggest that you closely examine how your compulsions and maybe-tics make you feel and decide for yourself. Good luck to you.

aularian
10-02-09, 02:40 AM
Anyway, the point of this post is that I also have a few other symptoms that seem similar to OCD, but I don't think they are. For example, I jerk my head/neck a lot and also do this thing where I move my jaw and pop my ear. I also make a kind of clicking noise in the back of my throat. It's not too loud, but it's there. The head shaking and jaw-popping sometimes happen so much that I end up in physical pain, but I can not stop. When I was younger I also had blinking twitches, knuckle popping twitches, throat clearing, and a few others, but nothing major.

I know tourettes and OCD are often co-morbid conditions and I'm really scared the symptoms I mentioned may be tourettes related. When I have to do compulsions, it's like a mental feeling to me. It's like a mental thought/feeling that builds up and builds up until I have to do it. I just can't concentrate on anything else if I don't. The tic-like symptoms are different though. It's more of a physical discomfort that builds up if I don't do them. I can hold them back for the most part when I'm around people, but when I'm alone, they go crazy. Is this tourettes or could it just be OCD related somehow?

I don't know about the rest of it but these certainly sound a lot like my tics! I also move my head/jaw/click my ears so much that it hurts and I still can't stop ;)

I know that physical sensation you mean, it just gets harder and harder to ignore until you can ignore it no more and have to tic/twitch/move/whatever.

I by no means have OCD, but have a few traits (none that have caused me enough grief to speak to my doctor about though) and that mental feeling, the anxiety is a lot different.

Worth speaking to your doctor about anyway...
Good luck!

(Also, if the doctor is timid when the subject of tics comes up, find a new one! I got a referral to a neuropsychiatrist, and he may not be the nicest man under the sun, but he knows his stuff :))