View Full Version : How long it takes to do homework

RedSkittles
10-04-09, 01:54 PM
I've always taken a long time to do homework; like, way longer than I should take. Sometimes the teacher will say that the paper should only take 15 minutes to do. When I get home it might take me 30 min. to an hour to finish. Is anyone else like this or am I just slow? xD

gotpop
10-23-09, 04:05 PM
A LOT of people are like this. Including me!

I recently took a Trigonometry class where the teacher would actually poll the class to see how long it took everybody to do the homework, and basically said it shouldn't take longer than x amount of time.

This is why people with ADHD should ask for accommodations, ESPECIALLY for math classes. They can make sure you get extra time for tests, which can help even the playing field between you and your classmates.

If you have ADHD you just have to disregard that sort of thing, especially if the teacher doesn't know you have a learning disability. Just take your time and worry about getting the correct answer rather than getting the work done in the amount of time the teacher has determined is acceptable.

Michiko74
12-10-09, 03:50 PM
I've always taken a long time to do homework; like, way longer than I should take. Sometimes the teacher will say that the paper should only take 15 minutes to do. When I get home it might take me 30 min. to an hour to finish. Is anyone else like this or am I just slow? xD

Remember, having ADHD means that processing information will take longer. So yes, for your classmates without ADHD, 15 minutes is probably a good estimate. However it doesn't apply in your case.

musicpainter
12-10-09, 05:25 PM
I always took longer to get my homework done than my friends and my siblings. It always frustrated me. I read slow(er) than most people and so reading takes me a lot longer than most (unless it's reading for fun, then I can read fast).

Math takes me so long to do. Last week I had 60 problems to do online. The homework program times you and when you're finished it lets you know how long you worked on it. It took me, no joke, 10 hours and 4 minutes to do 60 problems.

Try your best not to let it get you down that you may take longer to get the same amount of work as others your age. I'm still struggling with it and I'm 23, I wish I'd realized at an earlier age that I require longer to get homework done. On a totally biased typical student position, I think teachers don't always give realistic time expectations. :D (sorry all teachers out there :))

Remember, having ADHD means that processing information will take longer. So yes, for your classmates without ADHD, 15 minutes is probably a good estimate. However it doesn't apply in your case.
Great point! I'd say as long as you can keep this in mind, you'll be fine. I know that's what I'm trying to do now.

atrain
12-23-09, 12:12 AM
Just take your time to do your schoolwork. Everyone learns at their own pace. In Math it would take me 2-3 hours in school when you were only supposed to spend 30 minutes. It is better to practice then make mistakes. I also tend to take many notes.

Zara
01-08-10, 09:07 PM
Itīs not only you:) I am hopeless at homework:p