View Full Version : another "Tired of school and the whole system".

Wafflez
10-07-09, 03:04 AM
This doesn't need to be read or replied to but I really just want to vent to something

I try to do well in all of my classes and so far i've got nothing more than a C (one class I have yet to take a test and have a D+). I'm pretty proud of myself for doing well this far in. I really need to do better though, I know I can be a B student I just don't like any of my teachers for the important classes. I'm really happy that i've got an A in Math and Spanish (I had a D- in spanish and C+ in math at the end of year last year)

While It's not said most of my teachers know of my "problem" (Inattention and lack of detail) They know so well that they complain to me about it all the time . The usual "Corbin! Are you paying attention?" or "Corbin! Get your book out" it's all the same to me.

I don't want to pour my heart out but I remember I used to love school (Elementary school! woo!) partly because my teachers loved my energy (I was most likely ADHD with hyperactivity back then because apparently a few of my teachers recommended that I get tested but thats for another time). Anyway, I used to be so fun loving. I used to love everything we did until when things started picking up in middle school. The teachers didn't want to help me focus (I know that having that many students is hard) and they basically beat me into submission of "this is how to do it and there is no other way". While I still continue to challenge all of my teachers it just makes me more mad every time i step into my classes because the system is flawed for people like me.

Kinda lost the direction to where I was going in the last paragraph but some examples are my World class. The teachers are so ****ing condescending to me. I'm a somewhat disorganized person and the amount of papers they give me does NOT help. While they know this they always ***** at ME for not having a paper out when SOME of the class does. Most of the class is still sifting through their papers to try and find it. I feel singled out or something. They also stand by me quite a lot and point out what i'm doing wrong. (ADD note: Forgot to tell we have a lot of people 60+ people in the class so we have two teachers). Anyway, they stand by me and point out what i'm doing wrong while i'm working they also love to get me when I'm spacing out while doing an individual assignment. For instance, I usually space out to try and think about what I'm going to say next in a paper of min and they love to yell at me when i'm out of it. It ****es me off because again, I feel singled out. I try and not let it get to me and I usually do the work but lately its been hard for me to find my drive to do any of the work because they don't collect any of it, like this ****ing project that they said was worth 40 points. I spend an entire weekend doing it and they tell me that they won't collect it. I was so heated that I had to leave the classroom.

Oh well that's just one class. Most of my other classes are alright except for biology because I feel really smart yet really dumb at the same time. Most of this stuff I was doing in 7th grade science (which I should mention that i LOVED, my teacher and I had a little rough start in 6th grade but 7th was really fun and I worked really hard) anyway, i feel really dumb and smart because I have been doing this stuff for a while and i'm not learning anything, yet so dumb because my teacher has to talk to us like we're 5th graders because i'm not in honors and (not trying to be rude) but all the dumb people, or the people that don't want to work and stuff are in my class. It's just annoying because I want to learn but they hinder me of that.

Enough of the bad, some of the good.

I really like this new school because there is SO much more freedom. I get to listen to my ipod while not in instruction time or when I'm doing individual work in a class. It makes me so much more productive most of the time. There is also a lot more lax environment, which I love because I'm pretty chill.

Anyway, if you actually read this then WOW! It was up, down, and around with really no direction other than venting. I have to say thanks for reading this. If someone can help me find my drive again and help me change what i'm doing i'd be very appreciative.

Wafflez

joklem
10-07-09, 03:48 PM
"this is how to do it and there is no other way"

Hehe, Einstein wrote that the spirit of learning and creative thought were lost in strict rote learning. (education that focuses on bashing your head with a 2X4 with "Knowledge" written on it)

Honestly I feel like a bit of a chump for replying, but I don't know any tips for high school. Just keep your head up and try your best - it'll be better in college when the subject interests you and professors value your input.

Wafflez
10-07-09, 05:17 PM
Hehe, Einstein wrote that the spirit of learning and creative thought were lost in strict rote learning. (education that focuses on bashing your head with a 2X4 with "Knowledge" written on it)

Honestly I feel like a bit of a chump for replying, but I don't know any tips for high school. Just keep your head up and try your best - it'll be better in college when the subject interests you and professors value your input.
I feel the same as Einstein did.

I know college will be better because i'll have more control and stuff but it's hard because HS graduation is 2 years away it just annoys me that i'm stuck with this for a long time.

wifeandmom
10-14-09, 11:07 PM
Wafflez, have you gotten any accommodations in high school? In my kids' school district, it isn't easy, but if you get your parent(s) to request an educational assessment, they have to evaluate you to see if you qualify for what's called "reasonable accommodations." My ADHD daughter struggled all through high school and it took three years to get the school to agree to things like accepting late work. Some teachers did it on their own, others had to be forced with a formal plan. There are federal laws that may help you get some slack on deadlines, allowing you to submit work electronically, etc.