View Full Version : Brands/types in Canada?

joklem
10-08-09, 06:21 AM
Okay so it's 6AM, I started trying to find a list without much success (and I'm feeling lazy).

What ADHD meds are available for prescription and sale in Canada?

I'm asking because so far I've tried Ritalin (generic) and didn't like it (I flushed em) and I want to present my doctor with a few so we can decide more quickly on the next. (I don't get appointments with him, I just show up at his clinic and get 10-15 minutes after waiting 1-2 hours - family doc but he's been really busy in the past few years - plus side is that he's familiar with my history)

Oh and is Vyvanse available in Canada yet? I seem to hear good things (and it's not abuseable (?) which is a plus when dealing with pharmacists and such :mad:), but the most info I could find is that it wasn't available for sale as of 03/2009

Any help is appreciated! :D

Trooper Keith
10-08-09, 08:34 AM
Vyvanse, Adderall XR, Concerta, Methylphenidate SR, Dexedrine, and Dexedrine Spansule are all available in Canada. And methylphenidate as Biphentin, but you knew that.

Here is Health Canada's Drug Product Search (http://webprod.hc-sc.gc.ca/dpd-bdpp/index-eng.jsp). You can search by brand name and active ingredient.

Vyvanse is "not abusable" because it is a prodrug, L-lysine-d-amphetamine. Basically, in order to work it has to be taken orally, as it contains a lysine group that is broken off in the stomach and upper intestine, creating dextroamphetamine. This means it can't be injected, insufflated, smoked, etc. It can still be abused by taking very high doses, but because it's a long acting drug people are less likely to abuse it as there's less immediate "rush;" Vyvanse lasts 10-15 hours.

joklem
10-08-09, 01:08 PM
Thanks, no pharmacist would talk to me for more than 30 seconds.