View Full Version : Blackberry or iphone?

Michiko74
10-08-09, 03:36 PM
Which one do you perfer?

livinginchaos
10-08-09, 03:56 PM
I'd really like an iPhone, but I do love my blackberry (curve).

stef
10-08-09, 05:35 PM
hmm I can't afford an iphone right now but my blackberry from work has been a lifesaver, i must say. I'm not sure about the iphone, I'd hate such a small screen for so many endless options!

Trooper Keith
10-08-09, 07:14 PM
I absolutely love my BlackBerry Tour and kinda hate iPhones for some reason. So there you go.

FrazzleDazzle
10-08-09, 07:39 PM
:D IPhone

hceuterpe
10-10-09, 04:37 PM
...but what about windows Mobile?

If you want the simplicity, go for a blackberry.
If you want the expandability, go for iPhone.
If you want the high level of integration, and most customizable, go for Windows Mobile.

chsguy88
10-10-09, 08:37 PM
Im a blackberry 8830 user, I love the blackberry operating system or whatever, I know when i upgrade it be a newer version blackberry, possibly tour. I love em!

ADB1
10-11-09, 06:50 AM
I have an Android (Google) phone. I am in genral pleased with it. There are a good range of applications available - for example I have downloaded a musical piano which is great for giving notes when I am trying to sing.

Personally I associated Blackberries with work, being on call 24x7 and I feel iPhones are too strongly controlled by Apple. I guess the same arugment could apply to Google, but it is possible to download non Google applications.

weareacc
10-11-09, 08:42 AM
My iPhone is the only piece of tech that I've never screamed/shouted/bawled at
or been tempted to throw at the wall.

THAT'S how much I love it!

chsguy88
10-12-09, 02:58 PM
Personally I associated Blackberries with work, being on call 24x7 and I feel iPhones are too strongly controlled by Apple. I guess the same arugment could apply to Google, but it is possible to download non Google applications.

I agree with that 100%. I do feel that blackberry is more associtaed with businessmen and women. The email syncing is amazing, most of the time I use my blackberry email instead of txts mainly bc its instantaneous and doesnt have the 160 character max txts do.

I also agree iPhones are strictly controlled by apple, and that has always kinda irritated me... lol, i feel the same way about the whole apple company. I feel like people want mac products just because of the hype surrounding them. I know they make a great product, I personally just feel your paying for the name and exclusivity not necessarily a better product. Please don't blow up on me, just my thoughts =)

Waitingame
10-13-09, 05:33 PM
Love my Blackberry Bold.

Had a Windows Mobile based Tilt (HTC) before BBB and it had some things going for it, but generally caused me to use a lot of foul language. Don't know whether to blame it on Windows or the phone itself, but it was slow and cumbersome.

Lost Focus
12-12-09, 07:24 PM
I would love to get my hands on a Blackberry Storm 2 *drool*, but would in general love a decent cell phone option from Alltel. Yes, they offer some of the Blackberry line, but a limited line, and I hate that tiny keypad.

APSJ
12-12-09, 07:35 PM
I haven't been able to get any kind of smartphone yet, but my fiance just got a Motoroloa Droid, and I'm insanely jealous. It has a big and very bright screen and, and hundreds(at least) of free applications that can be downloaded. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot that I can do on my laptop that she can't do on this 'phone,' although composing and editing documents seems like its sort of clunky.

That said, I've never used an iphone or blackberry, so don't have any basis for comparison.

Lost Focus
12-12-09, 08:46 PM
A few co-workers have them, and so far...I really like. But they are Verizon and I'm an Alltel customer. Not sure if switching for a phone is the best plan of action, especially since iPhones are eventually going to be available through Alltel when they become AT&T here.

mijahe
12-24-09, 05:26 AM
I have to say that my iPhone has been well worth it. Syncing up my Google calendar/mail/contacts is fantastic.
If I lose it, (bound to happen eventually), then everything is still there.
I have others updating my google calendars so I invariably don't miss anything.

I don't use a huge amount per month, (around 400kb), so costs are pretty minimal.

There's not many apps that are worth the money.... from a time-management perspective. But plenty from an anti-boredom perspective.

If anyone needs a hand syncing up gmail <-> gmail, let me know.

Klassick
12-25-09, 05:02 PM
Hy there!

I guess that maybe will have to "expand" this topic soon and wait just a little bit before deciding between having an Iphone or a Blackberry.

There are rumors that GOOGLE is building their own branded phone that they’ll sell directly and through retailers.

A lot of sites are talking about a pure Google-branded phone...

Of course there's a lot of especulation about the topic, but I guess that if it is really true, Apple and Blackberry will have problems.

It looks like that we'll have some news in january.

Well, as a user of Google "solutions", I'll definitely wait.

mijahe
12-25-09, 06:28 PM
A lot of sites are talking about a pure Google-branded phone...

Of course there's a lot of speculation about the topic, but I guess that if it is really true, Apple and Blackberry will have problems.

It looks like that we'll have some news in january.

Well, as a user of Google "solutions", I'll definitely wait.

The Android has been in the pipeline for years. It's now available in certain areas in the world. A nice phone,

but don't worry.... Google won't kill their current lucrative business model in favour of a speculative hardware based model.

Any hardware based consumer business market will always be savage. A lot of up front costs, a lot of repeated manufacture costs, and of there's an issue with a particular device you just have to kill it and release a new model, (which means yet more costs).

So a mobile phone won't be just the only thing Google does, and will still support everything else.

peripatetic
12-26-09, 02:16 PM
i've only had an iphone, but i enjoy it a great deal. it is the greatest thing in the world for keeping me occupied (and quiet as i don't often use the 'phone' feature).

MCate
12-26-09, 03:16 PM
I agree with weareacc. I've tried many phones (including a Blackberry....too wide to hold comfortably for a woman's small hands, and the "flip version" doesn't have a "QWERTY" keyboard...I'm soooo over T9), and the iPhone is the only one I've managed to make work for the way I think.

I can read Word docs with no problem, nor did I have to "purchase" an add-on to read them (as I would have with my old Blackberry...don't know about the newer versions).

iPhones can sync with Outlook and you can even sync them with Google calendars (you have to go through a whole series of things to do it, but you can).

They have wonderful apps to help me keep organized, and music!! I have a 16gig. I went grocery shopping before the holiday...busy, busy, and I just plugged in my music and the time flew during a mundane task! (I wasn't rude about it, tho, kept the music down so I could hear ppl, and of course, turned it off during check out & interacted with the cashier and courtesy clerk...)

adperdue
01-05-10, 05:49 AM
Episode two of my podcast, ADD, Technology, and Me is packed full of tips on helping find the perfect smartphone. Look it up in the Itunes store. Episode one looks at a killer Blackberry app called Got2, a gps assisted task manager.

myvinyl333
03-24-10, 10:21 AM
I am on my 2nd BB, a Tour, which is amazing. I am with US Cellular (17 yrs) and did not want to switch to At&T when the iPhones hit . I have a dislike of Mac products, as do they of Windows,(different thread) and view it as more of a mini-laptop. I need my BB for emails and staying organized/connected. This it does flawlessly. Google Calendar and BB are very helpful and easy to use...
If I want to play on my BB I can. Oh and I do not like a touch screen,
jorge:cool:

APSJ
03-24-10, 10:32 AM
I got a Droid recently, which I love, syncs with all of google's services, and lets me do most things I can do on my laptop. On the downside, there aren't as many applications available as for the iphone, but that may change. I would have gone with an iPhone if not for the touch screen keyboards, which after trying on others' iphones, I concluded were not for me.

I know a lot of people love it, but I just could never seem to touch the right place for the right letter with any consistency. It may be because I have visual memory issues, but I'd tend to see the wrong letter appear, delete, and try and hit the right place, only to find the same letter appear again over and over. I concluded that I'd need to arrange for, at the very least, weekly iPhone deliveries to replace those I smashed against the wall in frustration.

Yaaziel
03-24-10, 11:39 AM
I don't have a Blackberry, but I love my Smartphone, a Moto q 9c. It replaced my high-tech watch as my calendar reminder, and it syncs to my MS Outlook, which is good in terms of having one place for all my stuff to remember.

I probably would like the IPhone, but I've grown disenchanted with touch screens. I find that temperature and the size of my fingers make them hard to operate at times. I used to use Palm Pilots, and found that using the tiny keyboard is easier (which I'd never have predicted).

meridian
03-24-10, 12:10 PM
Have had iPhone since the third day it was available in 2007. Apple has upgraded the software continually so features wise I have everything the new model has except for hardware differences like GPS and 3G.

I dropped it from my shoulder height to the concrete NYC sidewalk the first week I had it and all it got was a dent.

If you like those tiny button keyboards on BBs fine, but I can't stand them -- I had a Treo before the iPhone.

Apple has such a huge head start and patents on touchscreen technologies and interface design that they really have little to worry about from Google who are still promising three years after the iPhone was delivered.

Don't you think that the iPhone will be upgraded soon to even be more of an iPad Nano?

Yes I'm an Apple fan, but the reason is simple and goes back to 1982 when I first got an Apple ][e and then 1984 when I bought the first Macintosh. That reason is seamless integration, true plug and play, lack of malware and viruses and high quality components that historically outlive PCs by years.

No I don't buy Apple for the cache of the brand – heck there was no cache until the past 5 years or so. I buy them because it has always been the best designed, thought out and engineered tool available.

myvinyl333
03-24-10, 12:27 PM
Have had iPhone since the third day it was available in 2007. Apple has upgraded the software continually so features wise I have everything the new model has except for hardware differences like GPS and 3G.

I dropped it from my shoulder height to the concrete NYC sidewalk the first week I had it and all it got was a dent.

If you like those tiny button keyboards on BBs fine, but I can't stand them -- I had a Treo before the iPhone.

Apple has such a huge head start and patents on touchscreen technologies and interface design that they really have little to worry about from Google who are still promising three years after the iPhone was delivered.

Don't you think that the iPhone will be upgraded soon to even be more of an iPad Nano?

Yes I'm an Apple fan, but the reason is simple and goes back to 1982 when I first got an Apple ][e and then 1984 when I bought the first Macintosh. That reason is seamless integration, true plug and play, lack of malware and viruses and high quality components that historically outlive PCs by years.

No I don't buy Apple for the cache of the brand – heck there was no cache until the past 5 years or so. I buy them because it has always been the best designed, thought out and engineered tool available.

I was also on the Apple ground floor. I had IIE and a few IIC 's in my school lab... A few Macs were in the special Ed rooms...
I switched to PC after Apple abandoned the IIGS then began multiple upgrades that left us scrambling, software wise. Bottom line: Today it is which every platform you feel comfortable with that is the best. I am all PC based @ home and work, bur employee a Mac Airport system for my wifi needs @ home that is superior to my Belken setup.:cool:

Nishira
03-24-10, 04:12 PM
i used to have the Blackberry Pearl and *loved* it. It was great for all of my organizing needs. The only problem was trying to sync with Google calendar. The calendar entries would get screwed up so often - i wanted to cry!

My fiance has the Droid and turned me on to the Android line of phones. I couldn't afford the Droid so i opted for the Eris instead - which is great except the camera has no flash - sucky!

I *love* the tie-in to Google products, email, calendar, RSS reader, etc. It's also a dream for checking email and surfing the web.

wsmac
03-26-10, 05:26 PM
I have a BB Storm and hate it!
I want an iPhone!

The storm gives me fits all the time. My contacts list keeps disappearing then reappearing.

If I want to add a contact I go through a drawn out process.

My fingers don't hit their mark exactly right too much of the time.

I love my iPod Touch and have looked at the iPhone and I know that is what will work for me best.

My problem is that I have Verizon... works best where we're at.
Until they get an iPhone, I'm stuck with this Storm.. financially speaking.

AT&T doesn't have as large a service area here, but they do have the phone i want.

We no longer have Sprint, and I don't think we have T-Mobile either.

That's my take on them... no on the BB, yes on the iPhone

mysticalman
05-03-10, 11:56 AM
Being an ex BB user and not a huge iPhone fan to murky the waters I would suggest you check out an android.

This is the first phone I have not had a single issue or warranty exchange on for a long time. Going on over 6 months and still no issue and amazingly I'm not bored woth the phone and wishing I could upgrade early.

Naussicaa
06-15-10, 09:11 PM
Like buttons? Blackberry. Try it out first though, some blackberries feel worst.
Like a larger screen and numerous apps? iPhone.

Durability wise:

I have highly damaged versions of both. My Blackberry fell down two flights of stairs, its fine. Its an older uglier one though.

My iPhone (2g 1st gen) was dropped and an attempt to catch was made with the foot, causing it to crash into a brick wall. A crack developed and it was dropped numerous times, as well as going for a swim in a pool. The wireless module is weakened, but its not dead (yet).

All this was done without protection.

My preference? iPhone for the sheer amount of apps, although Android gets good press too.

adhdPEteacher
06-16-10, 06:26 AM
Hello all
I currently have a palm treo pro, because its all I can get with the sprint service (I have a sweet grandfathered plan). However, I would like to get a HTC Touch pro 2, or something of that nature. Right now this phone does what I need....I think :)
It syncs, with google, and keeps me updated. I can do various things with it, but I am somewhat of a tech nerd and love the idea of all the new stuff coming out.

Mobilism.com is a great website to help with programs if anyone needs em.

its not mine, just a favorite that i visit.