View Full Version : Newbie needing help

OC Mom
10-13-09, 12:18 AM
Hi Everyone,

I wanted to quickly introduce myself as I sit here crying and trying to sift through all of this information. I am a mom of 2 with a semi- diagnosed 8 yr old daughter of ADHD, auditory processing disorder, and anxiety. My 6 yr old son is a complete opposite of her and is a very easy going child. I say semi- diagnosed because I feel like I still have no real help for her and that is what brings me here. I have been to several psychologists with just family therapy given, sent to see another psychologist about neurofeedback, and that is it.

I feel like I am not getting the help I need and maybe it is becuase I am not asking the right questions, seeing the right doctors? Do I see a psychologist or a psychiatrist for a definitive diagnosis for her? Do I see a neurologist? I live in southern OC, CA. Anyone near me that can help point me in the right direction? I literally feel lost and unsure where to turn to next. On top of that, I am finally thinking that I, too, probably have add. Perhaps that is why I am having a hard time getting the help??

What tears me up even more is not getting the parenting help I am so desperately needing. I feel like no one has given me any tools I need to properly parent a child with adhd. What obviously works for my son is severely backfiring on us as parents for my daughter.

I appreciate any and all adivce as to where I shoud turn to next for help.

Thanks for taking the time to read,
OC Mom

gunner's mom
10-13-09, 01:04 AM
i'm sorry you're having a tough time. *hugs*

i brought my son to a psychologist for the initial diagnosis and then the psychologist referred us to a psychiatrist. but finding a good psychiatrist is very hard! we are about to see our 3rd one! have you tried talking to your GP or your pediatrician? either one should be able to help point you in the right direction.

10-13-09, 11:26 AM
I would start at the UCI Child Development Center:

My oldest was having trouble with reading in the first grade, due to an auditory dyslexia. Once she was diagnosed, we were given a list of things to work on that included games we could play, a computer program for distinguishing sounds and purchasing the bob books ( to work on reading out loud the similar sounds.

For ADHD, we have a great psychiatrist in Orange that I really like. It can take time to get in to see him but it is worth it. If you want, I can PM his info to you.

I have 2 daughters with ADHD, one is inattentive and the other combined and we live in southern OC as well. The schools have been really good with setting up an IEP and getting my youngest extra help for her issues.

10-14-09, 05:27 PM
The UCI recommendation is probably good.

While some psychologists work well with Psychiatrists, others seem afraid of referring to a psychiatrist for fear of losing your business.

There is no evidence that therapy provides any benefit to a child with ADHD. That might be why your psychologist has not wanted to diagnose your child. Once diagnosed, medication can only be prescribed by a psychiatrist.

Psychiatrists are MDs. Psychologists are PHds. Therapists (LSCW, MFT, MSCW, etc) generally have a masters. Only the MDs can prescribe meds.

Talk to your pediatrician for a referral. Or some pediatricians are good at diagnosis and will prescribe the med. If you can see someone at UCI that is probably the best. They probably have an intake phone number.

I would not try Neurofeedback.

Good luck with everything.