View Full Version : I was just diagnosed with ADD and wondering if my son might have it?

shelliesv
10-14-09, 04:12 PM
He's 10 years old and in 5th grade. He's super smart, in gifted and talented. Always has been a straight A student, but this year he got 4 failing grades in social studies (daily assignments) just because he hates social studies and was too lazy to look in his book for the answers. He also got a few zeros for homework simply because he forgot to bring his reading log home to be signed or forgot the homework at school. He has NO patience, especially for his little sister. He's irritable. He gets in trouble at school for not paying attention, not staying on task or arguing with the teacher. His handwriting is a mess and he is terribly disorganized - his school work folder is a total mess. At home, it can take him 2 hours to do a half an hour of homework. He just keeps wandering away from the table. He mostly jumps when he walks, he waves his arms - half running or he's jumping around the house most of the time. He only sits still to play video games. He talks constantly. He always interrupts conversations. I have to tell him many times to do something. He tells friends exactly how he feels about them - very bluntly, doesn't care what he said. He has one close friend and he likes that.

However, he does retain most of what he's learned, he has an amazing ability to recall details and facts and information. He can also sit and read a book (that he's interested in) for hours. He can also play video games for hours. He's very high energy, he always has been.

I'm not sure if all of his symptoms fit ADHD or not? Even if they do, I know my husband would never agree to medication (and I can't imagine giving this kid stimulants!). Is there anything natural that works? Does this sound like ADHD or something else?

Normal Mom
10-14-09, 04:40 PM
Its sounds very possible he has ADHD. There are many methods other than medication. My Son and Husband are not medicated, we chose to use that as a last resort. We changed the diets and lifestyle of the whole family as well as therapy and an after school tutor for the kids. This has helped a great deal.

Dizfriz
10-14-09, 05:03 PM
shelliesv

You need information. Probably the best tool is this transcript of a workshop by Russell Barkley. Barkley is considered by most to be by far the top person in the field of ADHD. Many, including myself, consider this transcript to be the best write up on ADHD available on the internet. It is dated 2000 but most of the data is still basically pretty good. I do warn however that this is forty pages long and Barkley is information dense. It can be a bit of a struggle to work though but it is, in my opinion and in the opinion of many others, very much worth the effort. I am going to suggest you start with this overview and then download or read the article from there.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/showarticle/2054

This has helped a lot of parents understand ADHD and how to deal with it. Medication is not the only way and many parents are able to deal with the disorder by learning the nature of ADHD and how to help the child compensate. It can and has been done especially with the milder cases.

Here is a good source of information on alternative treatments. "Complementary and alternative treatments, how to judge:"
http://www.help4adhd.org/en/treatment/complementary/WWK6
This is the Official National Resource Center on ADHD The information here is science based and up to date.

There is a lot more but these two are a very good place to start. With working with an ADHD child, accurate knowledge is the primary key to success.

Also, use this forum. There are a lot of very knowledgeable parents of ADHD children posting here. Normal Mom seems very much to be one.

Good luck

Dizfriz

MGDAD
10-14-09, 05:31 PM
All of those symptoms relate to ADHD. Also ADHDers can often sit and watch TV, play video games for hours, and read a good book. None of those things eliminate ADHD.

Sometimes ADHDers can get good grades just because they are so smart and everything comes so easy for them. Even though they are so easily distracted.

Education will help you understand your son better.