View Full Version : Update on son

MOM2CAJ
10-15-09, 08:19 AM
Hello everyone. I have not been on here in a while. My son is 6 years old and was recently diagnosed with ADHD. The doctor started him on Ritalin SR 10 mg a day, and it was wearing off to quickly. He is now taking 20 mg daily and is doing much better. He had trouble sleeping so the doctor gave him a Rx for clonadine and it has been helping. he has only had 1 frowny face at school in the past month so that is excellent.

The only problem we are having is that he is biting his nails more and they look awful. He done this before he was diagnosed, but now it is alot worse. Do any of you have any suggestions for that?

Thanks!

Lady Lark
10-15-09, 11:39 AM
There are products out there that re designed to discourage nail biting. It's like a nail polish that you apply, that tastes terrible. Covering the nails with band aids can work, if he just doesn't peel them off. Maybe some kind of reward for leaving them alone? Or, you may just have to wait until he outgrows the habit.

Vickie
10-15-09, 01:53 PM
Is it possible for him to hold an object in school to fidget with and keep his hands busy? This plus Lady Lark's suggestion might help.

He might have a slight increase in anxiety with the stimulant or as the stimulant is wearing off. Does he do it all day or as the med is wearing off? I push my tongue into my teeth when anxious. Now on meds, I only do it when the med is wearing off.
Low dose clonidine could help with with anxiety. Try to figure out when he is doing it and discuss your options with the doc.

Dizfriz
10-16-09, 09:37 AM
I will be 67 this month and I still bite my nails. While it hasn't gone away yet, I am patient.

Dizfriz

MOM2CAJ
10-21-09, 11:52 PM
Thanks everyone. He keeps biting them until they bleed. One was infected once, he had to take an antibiotic for it.

He bites and bites and still says they are too long. He doesn't bite them all day here. He will do it some when he is laying down at night trying to go to sleep, and various times throughout the day. I will try the nail polish stuff.

Thanks again.