View Full Version : Can't sleep

hceuterpe
10-16-09, 12:51 AM
Catchy title, eh?

Tonight, i got in bed at 9:30, I was actually tired. As I type this message, I see it's now 11:40. I just got up and about to try to go back to sleep. I was laying in bed trying to sleep for 2 hours. But I figured I had to shoot out this post.

Before trying to treat my symptoms like they are ADHD symptoms, and not just quirks, I would just stay up late and not even try to sleep, or worse: I was addicted to sleeping pills. Those were terrible, because I had an awful time getting up in the morning.

My big problem when trying to sleep, is I will lay there and continue thinking. Randomly thinking. If I tell myself consciously to stop thinking, subconsciously I drift off and the random thoughts come back!

For a while I had an attitude where I tried to better my ADHD, in my mid twenties (bad idea), but I've always had this problem for as long as I can remember. It's just as bad without stimulants, with or without Strattera. The problem is I can't seem to function without a full 8-hours of sleep. If I don't try to sleep, I will pre-occupy myself till 3-4 am often and pass out. Some times I would even stay up all night knowing I won't wake up with 2 hours of sleep. Then I'm shot for days...

How do people deal with this? I think I'm better off asking suggestions from the ADHD community, than asking a normal thinking person. Frankly, I really envy people when they say they can sleep on command. I can never get myself to sleep on command or even rest; yet when I don't get enough, I find myself dosing off or at least merely functioning while feeling groggy and tired. A sort of diminished capacity so to speak.

I think I'm going to try to lay back in bed and go to sleep... Strangely I'm tired enough that writing this message was more difficult to type and mentally taxing than if it was mid-day.

Amburgular
10-16-09, 01:17 AM
I have recently started listening to audiobooks on my ipod at night to help me get to sleep. I have the same issues with just random thoughts, cluttering up my brain when I am trying to relax and go to sleep. I concentrate on the voice reading the audiobook, I listen to what is being said and often I am able to drift off to sleep.

bumblebe
10-16-09, 03:22 AM
I cant sleep either :(

wsmac
10-16-09, 09:00 AM
Well, I'm sitting here in bed at 0552 in the morning, having been awake since 0730 yesterday morning, doing laundry all day, and working on stuff around the house, going to work for 8 hrs then hanging out for another 4 off the clock.

I'll be awake at least until 8am I'm sure... 24+ hrs.

As I get older, it gets harder on me when I stay up so late. Stints of 36+ hrs were not all that uncommon for me, but now-a-days it probably averages anywhere up to 36, the point where I get really tired and do not function so well.

I also started using my ipod to help me fall asleep.. although it really wasn't to help me fall asleep as much as it was to help me sleep better.
I have a meditation application on my ipod touch. I listen to the lady's voice as she walks me through a relaxing meditation.
I think it really does help calm my mind and I do feel like I sleep better when I use it.

My former wife used to complain about how easy I could fall asleep.
I'd get in bed and be asleep before she was.
Then again, if people were walking outside along the road out in front of our house, I would hear them, wake up and not be able to go right back to sleep until I could not hear them anymore.

The things I've been told to watch in regards to getting to sleep are:
Stimulation before bedtime... Internet mostly
Food... I shouldn't eat right before bed
Being upset or fixated about something

I wish you well in finding a way to get to sleep :)

hceuterpe
10-16-09, 08:12 PM
I think I finally got to sleep at 12:30...but I woke up an hour earlier!! 5:30!

Today was rough. I would love to try a 36-hour stint, I get far too exhausted to do that.
-I know this, because when I was in college, I would have more sleep over the summers. While it's slightly an apples to oranges comparison with the workload obviously being lighter, I still recall feeling better about my symptom control if I had sufficient sleep over a say a week, 2 or more..

Do you pay attention to the audiobooks, or do you just listen to the soothing words? Maybe I could get an audiobook that just spews out random sentences or names of complex organic compounds....or learn German!!

joklem
10-16-09, 08:34 PM
Can I join the club? Is there a membership card?

excel
10-16-09, 08:46 PM
I have recently started listening to audiobooks on my ipod at night to help me get to sleep. I have the same issues with just random thoughts, cluttering up my brain when I am trying to relax and go to sleep. I concentrate on the voice reading the audiobook, I listen to what is being said and often I am able to drift off to sleep.
It's hard to say your not sleeping is related to adhd. It could be anxiety.Try to get some good excercise in sometime during the day. I often have the same type of situation, I stay awake thinking what ever comes into my head.stress from the job doesn't make it any easier

wsmac
10-20-09, 05:45 AM
Well, my last post actually turned out to be 25 hrs awake, 4 hrs of broken sleep (1 hr asleep, woke up, then slept 3 more hours, then woke up again), then stayed awake until around 1a.m the following morning.

The last several days I've been awake at least until 2am and it's now 2:37.

I've got to get up and be at yoga class at 8:30, then running at 10am.
Tonight, err, this morning... I've been here on the forums, cooking a big pot of turkey chili, buying songs off of iTunes, and watching music videos on youtube.

Maybe we're just a superhuman race that doesn't require sleep at all!
Yeah! Sure! That's it! We just try to force ourselves to act like sub-superhuman people and that's when we get into trouble and 'feel' tired... it's all just suggestive.

I'm gonna go into my closet and get my SuperAdderIffic SuperHero cape and fly around town fighting crime, saving babies and kittens, all the while posting on the web, eating my snacks, creating a shopping list for later today, playing guitar and formulating a recovery plan for this economic downturn!:cool:

We don't need no stinkin' sleep!:D

tudorose
10-21-09, 02:49 AM
The number of times I've been up at night posting thread like 'can't sleep - again'. The only solution I've found is to exercise to the point of sheer exhaustion. I ride to work 32.5km and ride home the same distance. 3 hours of exercise especially the ride home into a SW wind going at 45km per hour is enough to knock me out. I have tried melatonin which works for my autistic son but for me the side effects of being excessively grumpy the next day outweigh the benefits. I do know that caffeine or alcohol are bad for sleep. Also avoid things that make you dehydrated like sugar and salt. Cashews are good as so is milk. I think they contain tryptopan which helps sleep.

chr1s
10-27-09, 12:08 PM
I think listening to audio books is a great distraction.. I personally use sound therapy that I purchased for Prescription Audio. I am one of those people who tries to read a book; i get 5 pages in and didnt absorb anything i just read, because i was to busy focusing on trying to focus. well the same happens to me when i try to sleep, I focus to much of trying to sleep, that I cant fall asleep. I recently started using sound therapy and it definitely helped to keep my mind from racing, I highly recommend trying this out.

Best regards,