View Full Version : learning disabilities are a reality

excel
10-16-09, 01:32 PM
For many people learning disabilities are a fact of life. It's an everyday challenge. We have to deal with other adults making fun of us when we make a mistake or the way we talk, or the way we try and put our thoughts together. Psychiatrist who give test are great for telling us we can't do something, but they don't tell us what we can do. Some us forget what we learn through our years in school which really makes life difficult to live.Than their comes a point in our lives where it becomes difficult to get movtivated or to even care about things. their are those that do not have above average intelligence like me.The things that we dreamed of doing as kids never even come close to being a reality. having a supportive family helps to make it a little mor bearable but not much.My college boards were 500 to 550.

Kiddder
10-16-09, 01:46 PM
You make valid claims and undisputable points boss. What can I do to show you that there can be a more positive and productive way of living with these facts? If your just venting, thats OK too.....vent, purge, emote....that is a first good start to a different perspective in any situation anyway.....put all the negatives out in the open and in the light, and one at a time, change em. You will never alter many of the obsticles you very accurately descibed, but you have all power and control over how you let them affect you.

excel
10-16-09, 02:07 PM
You make valid claims and undisputable points boss. What can I do to show you that there can be a more positive and productive way of living with these facts? If your just venting, thats OK too.....vent, purge, emote....that is a first good start to a different perspective in any situation anyway.....put all the negatives out in the open and in the light, and one at a time, change em. You will never alter many of the obsticles you very accurately descibed, but you have all power and control over how you let them affect you.
At my age how can you improve all your weakeness, when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money

excel
10-16-09, 04:08 PM
IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?

Kiddder
10-16-09, 05:10 PM
At my age how can you improve all your weakeness, when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money

IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?

My guess is your suffering some level of depression which is understandable and will affect your perspective......below are my ideas to consider when you are in a less hopeless frame of mind.

"At my age how can you improve all your weakeness?"

You can do far more than you realize at any age, most limits are self impossed. First identify if it is infact a weakness or rather something you are being made to believe a weakness. Don't look at your weaknesses as a whole, but write out in order of severity a select few and pick one at a time and explore ways you can improve it, if only a little.....if it is unalterable, try to accept it as a part of who you are and explore options in your life that don't depend on this weakness for your happines (I say happiness because "success" is subjective, I know many who are considered successful but not happy). I can't dance worth a flip, but accept that inability as part of who I am and not a weakness because someone else can dance up a storm.

"when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money"

Again....don't confuse money with happiness. Perhaps you have been sold an inaccurate bill of goods. Maybe others have convinced you that you have weaknesses you don't and over time you have come to believe them yourself. Don't confuse a weakness with aptitude either. Just because you may lack superior accounting skills does not mean it is a weakness....I don't have an apptitude for numbers either, or reading detailed text or some others I am sure.....because I do not have an aptitude or interest in them is I suppose I could beat myself up and say I have a weakness, but why would I use symantics like that when I don't have to.

"IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?"

Not even I can dispute that, but it is true for anyone. Like I said, pick one single fault you are considering a weakness and explore why it is a weakness, what options there are to affect a change (learn how) and if you decide it is unchangeable find a way around it. Find a career or job that does not depend on this particular streangth determining if you do well and are happy.

I know this all sounds simplistic, but it really is.....no problem is so large that it cannot be broken down into manageable pieces and worked on a little at a time.

excel
10-16-09, 08:20 PM
My guess is your suffering some level of depression which is understandable and will affect your perspective......below are my ideas to consider when you are in a less hopeless frame of mind.

"At my age how can you improve all your weakeness?"

You can do far more than you realize at any age, most limits are self impossed. First identify if it is infact a weakness or rather something you are being made to believe a weakness. Don't look at your weaknesses as a whole, but write out in order of severity a select few and pick one at a time and explore ways you can improve it, if only a little.....if it is unalterable, try to accept it as a part of who you are and explore options in your life that don't depend on this weakness for your happines (I say happiness because "success" is subjective, I know many who are considered successful but not happy). I can't dance worth a flip, but accept that inability as part of who I am and not a weakness because someone else can dance up a storm.

"when you know them so well, but the few strengths you know you have can't make you any money"

Again....don't confuse money with happiness. Perhaps you have been sold an inaccurate bill of goods. Maybe others have convinced you that you have weaknesses you don't and over time you have come to believe them yourself. Don't confuse a weakness with aptitude either. Just because you may lack superior accounting skills does not mean it is a weakness....I don't have an apptitude for numbers either, or reading detailed text or some others I am sure.....because I do not have an aptitude or interest in them is I suppose I could beat myself up and say I have a weakness, but why would I use symantics like that when I don't have to.

"IT"s hard to overcome somrthing when you don't know how?"

Not even I can dispute that, but it is true for anyone. Like I said, pick one single fault you are considering a weakness and explore why it is a weakness, what options there are to affect a change (learn how) and if you decide it is unchangeable find a way around it. Find a career or job that does not depend on this particular streangth determining if you do well and are happy.

I know this all sounds simplistic, but it really is.....no problem is so large that it cannot be broken down into manageable pieces and worked on a little at a time.
I wouldn't say that I am suffering from deppresion. I am on Busspar and cymbalta for an anxiety disorder GAD.It's true that I am not good in math science. I always thought I was good in english until my skills deterioated. My hand I coordination is terrible. I do the best with what I have

excel
10-17-09, 08:59 PM
with all reading i've been doing on, I am starting to wonder if taking adhd is worth it.Why is it that those with adhd can't just get their stuff organzied and stay organized? Why is ithat we never learn to put stuff back in the same place so we don't forget where we put.

AddaptAbilities
10-17-09, 10:50 PM
Why is it that those with adhd can't just get their stuff organzied and stay organized? Why is ithat we never learn to put stuff back in the same place so we don't forget where we put.

Well, I'm living proof that you CAN.

It ain't easy, and you might not be able to do it alone, but it certainly is possible. I organized my house with the help of a friend and the book Organizing From The Inside Out. I wasn't on meds at the time, I wasn't exercising, and while my diet wasn't as bad, it wasn't optimal either.

As far as earning money goes ... that one has been slower going for me. It's certainly true that money doesn't buy happiness, but it's also very difficult to be happy when you're wondering where your next meal is coming from, or even if you're just unable to contribute to your household income. In my case, a major stumbling block has been the fact that my learning disabilities -- ADD, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia -- are in areas that pretty much define any entry level professional job. I definitely know where you're coming from.

The only way to turn that around is to believe that your time and your skills are worth paying for, and to demand compensation for it. It can take a lot of time and therapy to even to get to that point, but it will happen eventually.

One final thing: have you considered getting an aptitude test? There's an outfit called Johnson O'Connor that will do aptitude testing for $600. It's a hefty price, but they've been doing research for years on how to determine what people's strengths are, and what aptitudes are necessary in what careers. It's a completely different ballgame than the career interest inventories they make you do in school. It might be worth checking out.

I've started blogging about getting organized with ADD, and living with adult LD. They're still pretty new blogs, but you might find them helpful, and you should be able to find them if you google "well ordered chaos ADD organizing".

excel
10-17-09, 11:33 PM
Well, I'm living proof that you CAN.

It ain't easy, and you might not be able to do it alone, but it certainly is possible. I organized my house with the help of a friend and the book Organizing From The Inside Out. I wasn't on meds at the time, I wasn't exercising, and while my diet wasn't as bad, it wasn't optimal either.

As far as earning money goes ... that one has been slower going for me. It's certainly true that money doesn't buy happiness, but it's also very difficult to be happy when you're wondering where your next meal is coming from, or even if you're just unable to contribute to your household income. In my case, a major stumbling block has been the fact that my learning disabilities -- ADD, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia -- are in areas that pretty much define any entry level professional job. I definitely know where you're coming from.

The only way to turn that around is to believe that your time and your skills are worth paying for, and to demand compensation for it. It can take a lot of time and therapy to even to get to that point, but it will happen eventually.

One final thing: have you considered getting an aptitude test? There's an outfit called Johnson O'Connor that will do aptitude testing for $600. It's a hefty price, but they've been doing research for years on how to determine what people's strengths are, and what aptitudes are necessary in what careers. It's a completely different ballgame than the career interest inventories they make you do in school. It might be worth checking out.

I've started blogging about getting organized with ADD, and living with adult LD. They're still pretty new blogs, but you might find them helpful, and you should be able to find them if you google "well ordered chaos ADD organizing".
I have had so manny test done. When I was born my Mom had a cold and I didn't get enough oxgen when I was born. That's when they found oot I had adhd. They put me on Ritalin and it made me commatose. Back than they didn't have anything else. The one thing I never did was give up. Tell me I couldn't do something, and I would prove you wrong. I did have a test done by voc rehab after i graduated.I would like to take a test to find out what my strenghts arethanks

Crazygirl79
10-18-09, 06:13 PM
They certainly are a reality for most...believe me and good post.

Selena

excel
10-19-09, 02:49 PM
When I was way young, I took Ritilan, and it made me comatose so I was told.That's all the medican the had back than. I wish school and life would of been easier. People should except people with disabilties.

excel
10-28-09, 07:44 PM
for me they have finally have become a reality. I fought against the stigma my whole life.

excel
11-02-09, 12:48 PM
It seems to me that it would be so easy to solve some problem areas, but we, I just don't do it. I guuess their are 100 logical reasons as to why we I just don't solve.them .Sometimes I think we I take the easy way out and blame everthing but myself, orselves. Just something I sometimes wonder about

excel
11-22-09, 09:53 PM
dealing with brian damage and learning disabilities everday is starting to be a reality that I just don't live with anymore.People can be so cruel.

excel
12-13-09, 03:23 PM
Life can get better when you open up to the people that really truly care about you. If you keep everything inside until you can't take it anymore your only hurting yourself.I have recently figured this out. It's such a great relief to get everything off my chest.
We don't always understand but having a strong faith is a good thing.Sometimes we are so self focused at times that we forget what is really important to us.
I hope everyone has a safe, peaceful and a happy Holiday season, Excel

excel
01-04-10, 10:58 AM
Sometimes reality can be hard to face. It can be an eye opening experience for some. Learning disabilties can drive the motivation right out of you. However, life must go on for those of us with learning disabilties

excel
06-11-10, 09:24 PM
Why do we have to face them?

excel
07-06-10, 09:28 AM
another reality is that learning disabilties can cause severe depression.

excel
12-01-10, 03:30 PM
For those of us with Learning dsabilities the reality can really hurt our self-esteem

excel
12-03-10, 10:59 AM
Reality can sure be depressing, when one finds out the truth.

excel
01-02-11, 03:38 PM
Anxiety makes learning disabilties worse

Icecream
01-02-11, 03:45 PM
There are lots of famous people with learning disabilities. Lincoln, Eistein, and pretty much every psychologist or psychiatrists goes into the field to learn about themselves. As for having a childhood dream, at least you had one. I never remember wanting to be anything ( except being a protective mother).

excel
01-02-11, 03:51 PM
There are lots of famous people with learning disabilities. Lincoln, Eistein, and pretty much every psychologist or psychiatrists goes into the field to learn about themselves. As for having a childhood dream, at least you had one. I never remember wanting to be anything ( except being a protective mother).
Very True! my disabilties are borderline mental retardation

excel
02-21-11, 11:13 AM
The older I get the more of a reality they become

excel
03-17-11, 07:27 PM
I wish they weren't a reality

meadd823
03-19-11, 05:22 AM
Some time I do to . . .

excel
03-19-11, 01:27 PM
Learning diabilites makes everything movr to fast for me

excel
03-26-11, 10:37 PM
It can hit you like a ton of bricks

excel
03-31-11, 11:03 AM
Learnong can become a relality late in life!

excel
04-09-11, 05:36 PM
They can hit you like a ton of bricks.

excel
04-11-11, 12:41 PM
Brain damage caused my lerning learing disabilties, and the older I get the wosre they get.

Werl
04-25-11, 01:08 AM
Learning disabilities, like ADD/ADHD, is just a reason for lazy kids to get extra time on tests and not get in trouble when they goof off. Ooh, if I had my way I would expose all these fakers for what they are, lazy *** jokers with no future.

If anybody is insulted, don't take is seriously. I AM making fun of the people who think like this.

excel
05-08-11, 04:12 PM
Learning disabilities, like ADD/ADHD, is just a reason for lazy kids to get extra time on tests and not get in trouble when they goof off. Ooh, if I had my way I would expose all these fakers for what they are, lazy *** jokers with no future.

If anybody is insulted, don't take is seriously. I AM making fun of the people who think like this.
Learning disabilties are very real and nothing to make fun of

Werl
05-08-11, 11:03 PM
I wasn't making fun of people who have learning disabilities but people who believe that learning disabilities are not real.

excel
06-01-11, 12:29 PM
Yes they are real!!!!

sarahsweets
06-01-11, 04:16 PM
He was joking. He said that in his first post. He repeated it in his second post.

excel
12-11-11, 01:16 PM
We get discrimanted against all the time

excel
01-09-17, 11:36 PM
Do we ever reach our full potential knowing we have problems with learning? I often ask myself this question.

ginniebean
01-10-17, 04:46 AM
i'm not sure anyone reaches their full potential. a lot of life is luck my friend.

i wonder if people who have no diaabilities and just live average lives torment themselves as much as we do over not reaching our potential.

I'm sorry you're experiencing such angst my friend. You have an open invitation to write me when you're down.

BellaVita
01-10-17, 04:49 AM
Do we ever reach our full potential knowing we have problems with learning? I often ask myself this question.

How do we know what full potential really is?

That phrase somewhat confuses me.

midnightstar
01-10-17, 03:29 PM
Personally, I wish learning disabilities didn't exist but sadly they do.

excel
01-12-17, 09:43 AM
If we were all the same, life would be boring.

Letching Gray
04-01-17, 09:31 PM
How do we know what full potential really is?

That phrase somewhat confuses me.

I know.
I guess, it is something like, when we have done all we can, with all we are, including devices like glasses, medication, tools, implements, which enable and empower our innate abilities to reach their maximum capacity. ?

dormammau2008
04-03-17, 10:10 PM
:goodpost:I don't think I have a disability I think all non people have one....iam me and some like me some don't I donrt lose any sleep over it anymore I did at age 5 but by age 6 it never botherd me like that ....people options there actions that's totally different thing ,,,I do mind on that...level:thankyou: