View Full Version : Does this sound like tourettes?

DevilHanzo
05-19-04, 07:49 PM
First of all, my name is Casey, I'm new here, so hello everybody! I was diagnosed with add and ocd, depression. I have cut veins, tried to slit my throat, drank a bottle of adderall like it was water, put a hose in my exhaust and put it in the window. They put me in a mental hospital. I hated it. Anyway, I stopped seeing psychologists and stopped medication about 2 years ago (I was only seeing them for like a half a year). I am going for a consultation to start back up again on Friday because my problems are very overwhelming, and makes it very difficult to function normally. My ex girlfriend just thinks I'm a jerk. All the stuff I do, like being defiant, and blurting out stuff or snapping at her without thinking, when she's already upset, I don't mean to do, it kinda just happens. I really want to get back with her, but I had my last chance (she broke up with me many times before for the same stuff I do over and over).

Here's a bunch of the symptoms I have. This is by NO means all of them, it's just all I can remember at the moment:
-constant blinking
-squeezing eyes
-clicking teeth
-jaw clenching
-constant rocking in rocking chair (consciously try to stop, but only lasts for a minute or two)
-peel skin off of lips, get very frustrated if not allowed to finish until it's completetly gone
-bite inside of mouth
-rip off small pieces of skin that scratch on clothes, will not feel satisfied until it is completely gone
-constant sniffling
-purse lips to right and left to move nose
- barely controllable urge to hit random people, or swear at them, call them names, say rude things for no reason (sometimes actually do say things)
-body temperature skyrockets when having to talk to someone, if people are looking at me, or listening to my conversation, etc.
-constant swallowing
-constantly opening throat so the walls don't touch each other at all
-gasping
-constant parting of lips
-sometimes stutter and fumble words
-unable to stop repeating phrases, names or words, then spelling them, then repeating them backwards or interchangine first letter of every two words (like hello there-tello hhere). In head, but out loud when nobody is around.
-very bad temper
-uncontrollable urge to be defiant
-lose items at least once a day EVERY day (keys, wallet, etc)
-always have to touch things in certain ways until it 'feels right'
-not wanting to throw away things, often useless items

I have had a lot of this stuff since I was pretty young (i'm 22 now) I just never thought much of it and never told the psychiatrist, but it has been bothering me more and more. People always make fun of my blinking, and my ex girlfriend noticed the throat sounds and clicking that I make and other visual things like parting lips, etc. I'll tell the consulting person when I go, but I was curious what some of you guys that actually have it think. Thanks!

Andrew
05-19-04, 09:17 PM
Tourette's Syndrome is characterized by multiple motor tics and at least one vocal tic. A tic is a sudden, rapid movement of some of the muscles in the body that occurs over and over and doesn't serve any purpose. The location, frequency, and complexity of tics changes over time. Motor tics frequently involve the head, central body, legs, and arms. They may result in simple movements such as eye blinking, or more complex movements such as touching and squatting. Vocal tics can include sounds such as grunts, barks, sniffs, snorts, coughs, and obscenities.

What Is It?

Tourette's syndrome is a neurological disorder (a problem with the nervous system), in which the major symptom is tics. Tics are sudden, brief, involuntary movements (motor tics) or sounds (vocal tics). In Tourette's syndrome, both types of tics are present.

Named after the French physician who first described it in the 19th century, Tourette's is believed to be an inherited condition that runs in families. It often is accompanied by other behavioral or emotional problems, for example, attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), obsessive-compulsive disorder, learning difficulties, sleep problems, depression, anxiety, and behavior problems.

Tics are relatively common, but Tourette's syndrome is less common. Tics occur in one out of 100 people, whereas the full Tourette's syndrome occurs in one of every 2,000. Boys are affected more often than girls.

Symptoms

Tics are involuntary and usually sudden, rapid, and repetitive. They appear in a variety of forms. No two people with Tourette's syndrome have the same symptoms.

Tics fluctuate over time. They become worse with anxiety, excitement, anger or fatigue, and can get better during absorbing activities or sleep. Some people with Tourette's describe an urge or warning sign before a tic. They may be able to suppress tics briefly.

Motor and vocal tics can be either simple or complex.

Simple motor tics involve just one muscle group, for example, an eye blink, a head jerk or a shoulder shrug. Complex motor tics use more muscles. The face or body may contort. The person may touch someone, sniff, jump, or make an obscene gesture. Sometimes a person will make a voluntary movement in order to cover up the tic, for example, a head thrust followed by smoothing the hair. Simple vocal tics include such sounds as grunting, barking, yelping and throat clearing. Complex vocal tics include syllables, words or phrases. During complex tics, a person with Tourette's may repeat his or her own words, repeat another person's words, or say obscene words or phrases.

Diagnosis

The most dramatic symptoms are easy to notice, but the disorder can be very hard to recognize. People with mild to moderate tics may be too embarrassed to discuss their problems. Parents and teachers usually pay more attention to behavior, learning and attention problems. Sometimes tics are mistaken for other medical problems. For example, people might consult an allergist for sniffling or an eye doctor for unusual eye movements.

The disorder is diagnosed by observing the tics. If they do not occur frequently enough for a doctor to notice them during a routine visit, a family member or friend needs to describe them. A videotape can be very helpful. Sometimes, to help define the problem, a doctor asks a family member to fill out a questionnaire.

There is no blood test for Tourette's syndrome. A physical examination and X-rays are usually normal.

Tourette's syndrome is diagnosed when:

* The person has multiple motor tics and one or more vocal tics.
* Tics occur most days for at least one year.
* The person was not free of tics for more than three months during the past year.
* Symptoms began before age 18.
* The tics are not caused by another illness, a substance or a medication.

The doctor also will want to know about the impact of the tics on daily life, and about other problems that commonly occur with Tourette's, such as obsessions, compulsions, attention and learning problems, anxiety and changes in mood.

Source: Multiple medical websites

neuroangel
05-20-04, 12:03 AM
Good luck with all this, Casey. I was going to tell my neurologist about all my tics, but I chickened out. I'm afraid of being put on another medication with really bad side effects...

I have a lot of tics also, started when I was 8, now I'm 20.

here are the ones that I can think of, off hand:

*making "ahh" and "e" sounds
*everytime something bad happens, I say "Death"
*rolling my eyes
*widening my eyes real big and then squeezing them shut
*scrunching my face
*my head goes from shoulder to shoulder, like I'm trying to crack it or something
*shrugging
*pulling hair out of my face even when its not in my face
*tugging on my ears
*pulling skin off my lips
*jaw clenching
*turning my ankles inward to pop them, while I walk, sit, or lie down
*when I sleep, my body bolts/jerks and sometimes I shout, which wakes me up
*lurching forward (doesn't even happen once a day, thank goodness) while walking
*wrist flicking...I end up throwing a lot of pens and spilling a lot of drinks because of this one

that's all I can think of right now...but it sounds like you definately could have it. My therapist mentioned it once, and I just kind of veered off topic to avoid a Dx.

Cyndi

Ashley925
10-08-06, 08:29 PM
OK well i just joined this and i just had 2 write you..I most definetly think you have it. I was diagnosed with tourettes when i was 7 and i have experienced most of the symptoms that you are having. IM only 17 so i dont kno much but i think it sounds like it..I read your list and was like wow i didnt kno someone else does all of these things to.
-ashley

First of all, my name is Casey, I'm new here, so hello everybody! I was diagnosed with add and ocd, depression. I have cut veins, tried to slit my throat, drank a bottle of adderall like it was water, put a hose in my exhaust and put it in the window. They put me in a mental hospital. I hated it. Anyway, I stopped seeing psychologists and stopped medication about 2 years ago (I was only seeing them for like a half a year). I am going for a consultation to start back up again on Friday because my problems are very overwhelming, and makes it very difficult to function normally. My ex girlfriend just thinks I'm a jerk. All the stuff I do, like being defiant, and blurting out stuff or snapping at her without thinking, when she's already upset, I don't mean to do, it kinda just happens. I really want to get back with her, but I had my last chance (she broke up with me many times before for the same stuff I do over and over).

Here's a bunch of the symptoms I have. This is by NO means all of them, it's just all I can remember at the moment:
-constant blinking
-squeezing eyes
-clicking teeth
-jaw clenching
-constant rocking in rocking chair (consciously try to stop, but only lasts for a minute or two)
-peel skin off of lips, get very frustrated if not allowed to finish until it's completetly gone
-bite inside of mouth
-rip off small pieces of skin that scratch on clothes, will not feel satisfied until it is completely gone
-constant sniffling
-purse lips to right and left to move nose
- barely controllable urge to hit random people, or swear at them, call them names, say rude things for no reason (sometimes actually do say things)
-body temperature skyrockets when having to talk to someone, if people are looking at me, or listening to my conversation, etc.
-constant swallowing
-constantly opening throat so the walls don't touch each other at all
-gasping
-constant parting of lips
-sometimes stutter and fumble words
-unable to stop repeating phrases, names or words, then spelling them, then repeating them backwards or interchangine first letter of every two words (like hello there-tello hhere). In head, but out loud when nobody is around.
-very bad temper
-uncontrollable urge to be defiant
-lose items at least once a day EVERY day (keys, wallet, etc)
-always have to touch things in certain ways until it 'feels right'
-not wanting to throw away things, often useless items

I have had a lot of this stuff since I was pretty young (i'm 22 now) I just never thought much of it and never told the psychiatrist, but it has been bothering me more and more. People always make fun of my blinking, and my ex girlfriend noticed the throat sounds and clicking that I make and other visual things like parting lips, etc. I'll tell the consulting person when I go, but I was curious what some of you guys that actually have it think. Thanks!

Walkiebits
02-19-07, 08:38 PM
Holy crap not only are we the same age, I have tons of the same tics as you. It is possible to have Multiple tic disorder without having tourettes..but in your case I'd say its quite unlikely unless you have no other disorders, the not being able to throw away useless items, thats a guilt thing which tells me you have other things mixed in like OCD. If I throw away or lose an item, I get terribly guilty for YEARS. I lost a toy when I was 6 and I still think about it sometimes.