View Full Version : HELP with strattera

Robyn Slate
10-20-09, 02:29 PM
My daughter, 8 years old, has been on straterra for 5 wks. Last week her teacher started sending home notes saying he was concerned that my daughter has become unresponsive to questions and is unmotivated. I called her doctor and asked him if i should take her off the med. He said she probably needed a higher dose. I'm not sure what to do. She is on 25mg now and he wants to try 40mg. But if she is having a negative response to the medication, why does he want to increase the dose? i don't know what to do for her, please help.

MGDAD
10-20-09, 05:12 PM
Is this the first med that you tried for you child? Usually stimulants are the first thing to try. Strattera is not a stimulant and does not have as high of a success rate as stimulant meds for treating ADHD.

Robyn Slate
10-21-09, 09:13 AM
Thank you for responding. We tried concert a but I was concerned with her flat level of emotions and zombie look in her eyes.

rd_wnc
10-21-09, 10:12 AM
Strattera is FDA approved for adults but I didn't think it was used for kids?

There are several stimulants and dosages so you may get lucky with Adderall or Ritilan maybe.

Also these often work (or don't) right away but usually people know sooner whereas Strattera can take a long time to figure out..

I'd talk to the Doc about it for sure. 40mg seems high for an 8 year old. I was taking 80 as a 40 year old.

tickle10
10-21-09, 10:14 AM
I was given Strattera for depression about 2 years ago. I tried it about 3 different times. At different points while taking the medication it would do the trick - for maybe 2 days. Then I would get talkative and then I would just have to have a nap. I was all over the place emotionally. But because it had worked so well for those 2 days I kept trying to recapture that "normal" feeling.

Also, I had heart palpatations on it and my anxiety level would go up. I also slept a lot.

I absolutely hate that stuff and would not recomend it to anyone.

JenE
10-21-09, 12:34 PM
Hi there! My 7yo son is on 40 mg Strattera and seems to be doing well. That was his initial target dose and we worked up to it over a month's time. He has been at that dose since the end of August and seems to do fine. He is ADHD, impulsive mostly. With the meds, he can focus better on his school work and is reading very well without complaining which has always been an issue for him. He also has a high level of social anxiety which is why the Psychiatrist wanted to do Straterra. He also take Lexapro 10mg. His anxiety is better but has not gone away. It is difficult finding the right med and dose. I don't think 40mg is too high based on my experience but you also need to go with your gut feel. I did not see in my child any of the behaviours that you are seeing. I would talk to the dr again, voice your concerns and make him explain his reasoning. Good luck and keep us posted! HUGS!!

Oh also wanted to add that it takes 4-6 wks to really start seeing results with Strattera. We didn't see much differences at 25mg but everyone is different. Hope that helps!

MGDAD
10-21-09, 12:45 PM
Thank you for responding. We tried concert a but I was concerned with her flat level of emotions and zombie look in her eyes.

I would be concerned about that too. With the proper dosage, the child should not be zombie like or have flat emotions. Maybe a smaller dose would be OK. It seems some kids are very sensitive to the meds, so a very small dose is all they need.