View Full Version : should my son feel a difference?

ercaluc
10-21-09, 10:59 PM
my 13 yr old is taking concerta 18mg and he was on foculin before but it made him very tired, he just switched over two days ago, he says he doesn't feel a difference with either med, the dr thinks he's add, poor concentration, procrastinates, easily distracted... so my ques is, should he be able to feel a difference on the meds, if he's not could it be he's not add??? his grades have not improved either

MyGuysMom
10-21-09, 11:15 PM
My son claims he does not feel anything, but the teachers all see the difference. We mentioned this to his doctor, who told us about another patient. They had tried several meds for the boy, and they clearly did not work. He prescribed another, and when the boy returned he reported no difference. When the doctor asked his mother, she was surprised and said that to the contrary, he was now at the top of his class, very involved and leading various school organizations, etc. The boy just could not "see" the change. So, I think it's possible that the medication is working, but your son doesn't notice that, as strange as it sounds.

Lady Lark
10-22-09, 11:02 AM
It's hard for kids to be self aware enough to know when their own brain is working differently. Heck, I know a lot of adults who aren't aware of what's going on in their own head. I wouldn't discount what your son says about a medication, but at the same time him not seeing the benefit doesn't mean there isn't one.

ercaluc
10-22-09, 11:13 AM
i know the medication isn't a quick automatic fix but I really haven't seen a difference in his school work?? is that a realistic expecatation, could it be he's just not ADD and no medication will help?

QB78FD
10-22-09, 11:55 AM
Let me preface my reply with a disclaimer:

I'm 99% convinced I've got ADD (adult), but have had limited success with several meds. My 1% doubt has been getting to me lately since I started on Vyvanse, so again I'm wondering if I really do have it???

Now for my comment: Its possible that he could have ADD (hard to say without any other info) and the meds he's tried just dont work for him.

Probably not the most helpful reply with conflicting points, but I know when I was looking into this, I wanted all the viewpoints I could get!

MGDAD
10-22-09, 12:16 PM
I would ask the teachers if they see any difference in your son at school. You dont have to tell them about the meds, just ask about his behavior.

Some kids are good at noticing a difference in behavior and some are not. Some kids say there is not change, but the teachers will often see a huge change.

Unfortunately, the medication is usually worn off by the time he gets home from school. Try the med on the weekend and then try to do some homework with him after the med has been in him for a couple hours.

You definately cant base your opinion of the med, solely on your sons opinion.

Lady Lark
10-22-09, 02:52 PM
It could be that it's the the right medication, or dosage for him. It could also be he still needs to catch up. He's been running at a deficit, naturally behind because of the way his brain is wired. Medication will help bridge that gap, but he still needs the extra time to learn what he missed before he was on meds.

Think of it like this, he can't walk because of a medical condition, but al the other kids are walking. Now, you get that condition fixed, so he now has the ability to walk, just like everyone else, but he still has to learn how to do it.

Does that make sense?

Vickie
10-22-09, 03:00 PM
First, 18mg is very low for concerta, with most kids in the 36-54 and even 72mg range. So I would talk to the doc about dosing. The usual is to start low, watching for side effects and then titrate up to an effective dose. You can find the recommendations here: http://www.concerta.net/assets/Prescribing_Info-short.pdf For a kid that does not notice the difference, the correct dose will be judged by changes noted by the teacher and maybe at home such as homework interactions.

My youngest never felt any difference, but at the correct dose, she finishes her homework in class, participates in class and gets better grades. Because of the lowered stress and frustration at school, she is more pleasant at home.

My oldest can tell when the med works. She can "hear" the teacher's instructions and get through her work and even clean her room without all the distraction from the things she finds in the process.