View Full Version : Exercise

rmendez16663
10-26-09, 02:56 AM
I've been trying to exercise every morning before my classes.
This involves getting up at 6:30 for a light run, light-weight lifting, and an easy-going round with the heavy bag.
I find that when I go to classes after this, I have more energy and paying attention is much easier.

Unfortunately, I have terrible motivation, and I have only been able to this a few times. It's not that I'm lazy or unfit.
I love to work hard and I am fit enough that a light workout routine every morning won't wear me down.
I think the problem lies in waking up early and following a routine.
I usually procrastinate and don't get up until ten minutes before class starts.

Does anyone knows a good way to help me keep this habit up?
I would also like to hear about other people that use exercise to manage their ADHD (PI or otherwise).

In case it's pertinent, I am a 21 year old male.
I was diagnosed with ADD 15 years then diagnosed again 8 years ago and prescribed adderall.
I currently only take my prescription when I study or do involved projects/homework.

Sorry if I was too wordy; the adderall does that to me.

wsmac
10-26-09, 03:15 AM
You want to see wordy?
Look at my posts!:D

I use exercise to help me out.
I actually love to run and workout... basically I love physical activity.

The only way I can be more consistent with my exercise outside of having a running partner who comes to my house and knocks on my door in the morning, is to sign up for P.E. classes at school.

Currently I have a yoga class (quite physically challenging too... I really work up a sweat!), and a running class. Unfortunately they meet on the same morning (running after yoga, which actually works out well for running prep), only twice a week.
I wish I could sign up for a class that would meet everyday.

I know I am supposed to be there at classtime.
I know what I will be doing.
I know what I need to do it.
They become a part of my established routine.
I have a grade riding on my passing the class.

and the best part?

At 49 y.o., I am apparently WAY healthier and motivated than people more than half my age!:eek:

Every running class I have taken over the years seems to have a vast majority of unhealthy... unmotivated students, in them.
I get on the track and run. I even have a loop that takes me off the track and around the perimeter roads of the school.

Most everyone else walks... s..l..o..w..l..y..:rolleyes:, and some do it while talking on their cellphones!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Anyway... getting WAY off topic here... sorry!

Signing up for a gym isn't effective for me either.

There's something about being committed to school that gets me there most every class.
The ones I do miss... I make up later in the week, usually.

tudorose
10-26-09, 03:21 AM
I find exercise is easier to do if it has a purpose and becomes part of your everyday life. My exercise is riding a bike to work. I've done 4700km on my bike so far this year (only counting the on-road km's). There's no way I'd do that much if I wasn't riding somewhere for something. I can't get my hear around 'social rides'. It's gonna have some purpose - like catching a train.

Yarrgh
10-26-09, 03:44 AM
I know it's probably the laziest thing ever, but all this week I've set my adderall right next to my alarm clock, which goes off at 5am. So when I have to hit the snooze button my hand is already near the adderall, so I just take my pill.

This makes sure I'm out of bed at 6am, because given the opportunity I would rather sleep until the last minute, tell myself I'll just exercise later, and have to rush to classes.

After I'm up and about, and the adderall is working I have no problem going for a long jog. Just started this week though, so It's unclear whether this enthusiasm will last.

Billy79
10-26-09, 01:29 PM
give someone you trust money, and agreed that everytime you get up, you get some of it back..So if you jog like you said you go even....

Amburgular
10-26-09, 02:21 PM
I find exercise is easier to do if it has a purpose and becomes part of your everyday life. My exercise is riding a bike to work.

We are a one car family, so my stepson and I ride our bikes to his school in the morning, then I ride my bike as I do errands and I ride back to his school in the afternoon to pick him up.

I will do some social MTB rides with my husband and friends on the weekends. I am currently looking at weight training, or pilates as a way to tighten up but I haven't found a way to make it part of my day yet.

I have found that the exercise I get helps me with my motivation throughout the rest of the day, I just have to to get off my butt and do it :p

Schroeder
10-26-09, 09:34 PM
Right now social pressure is the only thing that keeps me disciplined. I don't do as great in school as I'd like to, but without school or work, I'd be a total loaf. I've done online school (failed miserably) and telecommited for work (procrastinated all of the work till Saturday, then spent 10 hours catching up). It just doesn't work for me at this point in time.

I think you've nailed a key principle in managing ADD!

rmendez16663
10-27-09, 04:38 AM
I think you've nailed a key principle in managing ADD!

Well, I'm trying to nail it. It's not easy, but it really helps so I'm forcing myself to do it.

I haven't been able to work out lately. I've been sick for about a week. Too many exams means too many all nighters I suppose.

Waitingame
10-29-09, 05:36 PM
The reward system works for me - maybe you'll discover a really pretty/handsome/cute someone on your jogging route?

And if not, you could promise yourself something decadent, like a donut, just as soon as you finish those 4 miles. Of course, when you do finish those four miles, you have enough neurotransmitters bouncing around that you probably won't want the donut anymore (and if you still do, then at least you've run 4 miles already...).

Kudos to you for commitment to exercise!

iittaa
11-06-09, 07:49 AM
don't drive-too broke to take the bus to school, which is 2 miles away. I skateboard to and/or from school and take the bus the other way. Skateboarding is pretty intense exercise, I find much more so than biking. I hope to skip the bus all together if I can get myself out of the house on time! I also signed up for a tai chi class that meets 3x/week. Since I paid for it I make sure I go. It's also a pretty small class and I feel like a really bad slacker in the eyes of the instructors if I don't go enough-the shame kind of works to keep me in line.

I don't take adderall every day either even though I am supposed to-I try to limit myself to 3 days a week but usually end up taking it 3-4 days.

Candlewax
11-06-09, 08:04 AM
go to bed really early, like 8 or 9 pm, so that getting out of bed the next morning is easier. (credit to Schroeder)

fatefm
11-06-09, 12:50 PM
First, give yourself credit for finding something that works for you and trying to work out a plan to stick with it. That's sometimes half the battle!

I have tried to stick to a running morning schedule with some success but inevitably when I have a late night, oversleep or get too busy I start missing runs. So I decided to be more flexible and it has made all the difference.

My default run is still 6 am but if I miss it I make it up later in the day (if possible). Now there is no guilt and no feelings of failure with sleeping in sometimes and its no longer an "all or nothing" approach in that either I get up at 6 every morning and run or give up all together. If I don't make it up later in the day the motivation to get up the next morning is so great I rarely miss it.

Finally, don't think that only exercising in the morning is necessary for an energy boost. An early evening run helps me sleep better and so I wake up easier and feel more refreshed the next morning giving me more energy and focus. The long-term effects of running and exercising is more energy all day and every day not just those few hours afterward.

Schroeder
11-06-09, 02:21 PM
I don't exercise if I don't go to sleep early the night before. I just don't have the energy to muster up the willpower to do it.

dude102
11-07-09, 12:25 PM
I'm starting to incorporate light jogging into my lifestyle. It's been two days, and let me tell you, my ability to concentrate has skyrocketed and my energy levels are much more "normalized". I believe this will work for a lot of people.

Schroeder
11-07-09, 12:53 PM
I'm starting to incorporate light jogging into my lifestyle. It's been two days, and let me tell you, my ability to concentrate has skyrocketed and my energy levels are much more "normalized". I believe this will work for a lot of people.

Somehow I read that as "juggling" and I was like woooooow now THAT sounds like a fun exercise :D