View Full Version : i've made a decision

gunner's mom
10-27-09, 08:07 PM
i've decided NOT to medicate gunner. he has been off of meds for over a month now and i am learning how to treat him differently, how to talk to him, how to punish him.. i've been learning alot and he is doing fantastic!! and it helps that his teacher has a nephew with adhd and she knows how to teach him. her and i have been having meetings about it and working together, i've learned alot from her. and with us both working with him, he's a totally different little guy and he's learning so much. also, him and i are going to start seeing a psychologist together for behavioral therapy, so hopefully that will help keep us on the right track. so.. there's my decision. do yall think i'm doing the right thing?

FrazzleDazzle
10-27-09, 08:33 PM
Nice to hear a positive update, gunner's mom. If he is doing well with the changes, keep doing what you are doing!

Lady Lark
10-27-09, 09:07 PM
If it's working for you, then you're doing the right thing. No one knows your child better then you do.

JenE
10-27-09, 09:11 PM
That's great that he's responding so well! Good luck and keep us posted!!

Driver
10-27-09, 10:13 PM
Why are you against medicines and choosing not to augment his behavior therapy with them?

gunner's mom
10-27-09, 11:13 PM
i'm no so much against the medicine. i'm just tired of watching him struggle with different meds and doses, and if i can get him on track without the meds, i think it will be better for him in the long run. now, i'm not saying that i'm never going to put him on meds. if he needs them when he gets older, then i'll try to get him on something, but as of right now, he's only 5 and i see all these experiments with diff meds as nothing but harmful to him right now. he's too young for all of that

Dizfriz
10-28-09, 08:27 AM
Gunner's mom

Many have been able to not medicate their ADHD child by using the techniques developed to help these children. This is especially true of the younger school years.

One very important thing keep in mind, The techniques can work very well but when they are taken off, the child goes back to the starting place. There is almost no carry over. The research shows this well.

The point here is to continue with what you are doing and focus on doing it consistently and for the long term.

The big problem parents run into is think to themselves that "Gosh my child is doing well so we can slack off". Oops!

You seem to be on the right track.

Good luck

Dizfriz

gunner's mom
10-28-09, 09:09 AM
thanks, dizfriz, ill keep that in mind

NeuroParty
10-28-09, 09:42 AM
It's difficult to commit to being med-free when the industry is constantly bombarding us with medication "success" stories. You're doing this responsibly by involving the teacher and a therapist, educating yourself, and being honest, open-minded and observant about what actually works and what does not. Good for you for staying centred.

JenE
10-28-09, 11:39 AM
I wanted to add that my son was evaluated at 5 on the urging of his kindergarten teacher and he was borderline ADHD. The psychologists urged us to wait to medicate which we did. He only started on meds this summer at the age of 7. So waiting is a good thing. I pray he continues to do well!!

MGDAD
10-28-09, 02:30 PM
You made the right decision because it is working for you. Even if you decide to go on meds later this experience will help you. Nothing wrong with not medicating if it is working for your child and you. Plus, he is only 5 years old. Glad to hear the success story without meds.

Archon
10-28-09, 02:35 PM
Certainly having parents that actually know something about the condition is better than most people here had that's for sure :P

Vickie
10-28-09, 06:36 PM
So happy to hear that Gunner is doing well. Keep up the good work and good luck through this journey.

MuscleMama
10-28-09, 09:17 PM
I definitely think you're doing the right thing. Personally I think meds should be tried after other options. Good luck and keep us updated!