View Full Version : i think my son has adhd

cristina
11-04-09, 10:37 AM
:confused: hi everyone, these days i have been feeling something is different about my son. he started gr. 1 and i know a lot of changes happen to a child - new routines, new friends, etc. But certain behaviours have become intensified. For ex. his attention - i speak to him and he doesn't answer, easily distracted and jumps from task to task, i don't think he's ever done a puzzle and i have to force him to play board games, but he loves to read and write and play his wii! He is impulsive - he always has to be first, can't wait for his turn and talks alot! He interrupts us when we speak, he fidgets - he is constantly moving. Don't get me wrong he is a wonderful child and everyone loves him at school. He does well academically, he's outgoing and personable but just a handful at times. You never know how he'll be feeling when he wake ups in the morning or gets off the bus after school. His teacher really likes him and says he has so much energy but I'm scared to bring up the topic of ADHD with her. I think he may have a bit of anxiety as well as it runs in my husband's family. His teacher interview is coming up in a month so I guess we'll find out. Would the teacher have called us by now if there was an issue? Is there anything we should do in the meantime? I would really appeciate some thoughts and/or suggestions.

MGDAD
11-04-09, 02:05 PM
Those are all behaviors that could be explained by ADHD, although you never really know until you get a good evaluation. 1st grade is often when it becomes apparent that a child might have ADHD. Teachers sometimes tell you sometimes they dont. Parent often get mad at the teacher if they suggest ADHD, plus teachers are not qualified to diagnose, although they are qualified to give valuble input for the evaluation.

ADHD kids can do things they like to do for hours. (Wii, etc) It is the things that are not their favorites that give them trouble. Impulsive, cant wait for their turn, interrupting, fidgeting, all indications of ADHD. Of course, all kids do those things sometimes, it is how the child compares to others his age that is the deciding factor.

Good luck with everything.

jmsmom
11-04-09, 04:11 PM
It really sounds alot like my son who was diagnosed with ADD last year at the age of eight. We started really noticing symptoms in first grade, invading other children's spaces (the teacher had to move him to another table at the request of a child saying he was up in his space), talking out of turn, wanting to stand to do his work at school.

Just go by your instinct as a parent. You know your child and if you feel something is not right then by all means have him tested. It will not hurt a thing.

Good Luck!:)

Mincan
11-04-09, 10:32 PM
A lot of the markers for ADHD correlate to poverty as well.

qanda
11-05-09, 07:51 PM
I would go with your gut instincts. My daughter was an "ants in your pants" kind of kid. We often had to tell her a million times to do something, while she always "stopped to smell the roses" on the way and then forgot what she was supposed to do. My husband and I would ask every year if the teacher thought she might be adhd. They always said no. Finally, after her struggling academically from K-2 grades we got her evaluated. I knew, just from filling out the forms, she would be diagnoses with adhd, and sure enough she was. She has a real big problem with paying attention, and it effects her school work. Come to find out our gut feeling was right all along.

cristina
11-10-09, 01:04 AM
Hi everyone, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Everyone in my family has been plagued with the flu. Thanks for all your advice and input. Unfortunately, my instinct is telling me something is up but my husband doesn't seem to have an opinion on it...yet. He thinks it's too soon to tell. So I guess I'll keep a close eye on him and address my concerns with his teacher in a couple of weeks. But what should I do now when he displays his sometimes annoying and frustrating tendencies? I try not to get upset with him or scold him (especially in front of others) about his behaviour but it's getting harder and harder. Should I just let him be (within reason of course) cause he'll behave how he's going to behave no matter what I say or do.

What do you think?

chitwnmomma
12-02-09, 12:21 AM
Hi everyone, Sorry I didn't reply sooner. Everyone in my family has been plagued with the flu. Thanks for all your advice and input. Unfortunately, my instinct is telling me something is up but my husband doesn't seem to have an opinion on it...yet. He thinks it's too soon to tell. So I guess I'll keep a close eye on him and address my concerns with his teacher in a couple of weeks. But what should I do now when he displays his sometimes annoying and frustrating tendencies? I try not to get upset with him or scold him (especially in front of others) about his behaviour but it's getting harder and harder. Should I just let him be (within reason of course) cause he'll behave how he's going to behave no matter what I say or do.

What do you think?

Hi, You sound just like me 3 years ago. I have been trying to figure this out with the help of my daughters teachers because my husband would rather ignore all of it and chalk it up to her being a kid. My advice: Ask your school principal OR child's doctor for a reputable psychologist, or to be screened for ADD/ADHD. I kept telling myself it had to just be something else, however public school testing in Chicago sucks and takes years, so I finally just went to a Psychologist that my principal recommended (lots of kids in school have been screened by her) and after the screening it was found that my daughter is very bright and above grade level in many areas, however she does have severe ADHD which has impacted her more and more throughout the years. Please don't wait. Children with untreated ADD/ADHD often can't control their behavior, and sometimes they let it define who they are and then it gets worse. By the way, my Psychologist gave me a break on the pricing of the case study because she didn't take our insurance and we were in a financial crisis, so we paid 1/3 of the cost. If thats an issue, please know many psychologists care more about helping than the $$.

MyGuysMom
12-02-09, 12:40 AM
If you think there is a problem, push to find out what is going on. Over the years I would say that I thought something was wrong, but my husband always dismissed it and said I was overly critical.

Dizfriz
12-02-09, 10:17 AM
cristina

The best diagnostic tool are concerned parents determined to find out what is going on with their child.

From what I hear from you, an evaluation by a professional is certainly justified. Your child may or may not be ADHD but it is always better to know than not.

You need to learn about the disorder and while there are a number of places to do this, is where I recommend that you start with this transcript of a workshop by Russell Barkley. Barkley is considered by most to be, by far, the top person in the field of ADHD. Many, including myself, consider this transcript to be the best write up on ADHD available on the internet. It is dated 2000 but most of the data is still basically pretty good. I do warn however that this is forty pages long and Barkley is information dense. It can be a bit of a struggle to work though so take your time. It is, in my opinion and in the opinion of many others, very much worth the effort. It has probably been of more help to the parents of ADHD children than any other thing I know. I am going to suggest you start with this overview and then download or read the article from there.

http://www.greatschools.net/cgi-bin/showarticle/2054

Good luck, keep on plugging and keep on being an advocate for your child.

Dizfriz