View Full Version : I'm trying Focalin

DesertDave
11-10-09, 01:18 PM
I've tried a number of stim & non-stim meds. Nothing has quite worked, so I'm trying Focalin XR now.

I don't see a whole lot of postings about Focalin.

I'm still in the titration phase. I'm seeing nothing good or bad yet.

Are any of you finding that this is the medication of choice for you where other things have failed?

Yellow
11-13-09, 11:24 PM
not to discourage, disuade or influence, but i dont really find it nearly as effective as dex.

Josh_kelly
11-16-09, 08:37 AM
There is no titration when using focalin. Should work right away.

I liked it when I used it. It has the greatest effect on me. Focus, organized and motivated without jittery effects and increased heart rate.

Its better than adderall because it didn't cause anxiety when the dose wears off. It lasts longer than Ritalin. The only problem is its always back ordered (the IR) and the generic didnt do it for me.

Yellow
11-16-09, 05:06 PM
yeah similar to what josh above said, my doctor said also, if you dont feel any benefits from 10mg (IR) then most likely, its not the one for you. i told him my dex dose (15mg ir) should be around 15-20mg IR for focalin, so thast why im tryin, but idk, i just think dex is more of a real concentration type thing, and focalin is more for calmin hyperactivity, both are related i suppose, but idk how that works diagnositcally (especialy per person)

he also seems to really want to keep me on dexedrine for some reason? maybe cuz its more predictable?

Yellow
11-25-09, 02:18 AM
well dave. ive tried it now for a bit more than a month (on and off days in between), and i am not renewing it. it can be very useful, but i find dex better and with less side effects. i would only take focalin now as a substitute to break between dexedrine (if i wanna give my body and brain a break from the drug)

Yellow
11-30-09, 10:39 PM
dave, focalin is over. dexedrine is back. now i see the difference (but hey, its me, could be difft for u)

holy smokes
12-05-09, 09:12 PM
I've been on 10 mg of Focalin XR for about 3 weeks now and I can't decide if I like it or not. I am not noticing much of a difference in my concentration levels yet. The nausea is really annoying and it makes me a bit irritable and edgy at times, but I'm trying to give it a full month before I decide. My dr seemed really reluctant to prescribe Adderrall and pushed me to try this first.

geogator
12-10-09, 01:10 AM
Holy Smokes - I agree with your decision to give the Focalin at least a month before making any decisions. I'm on Focalin XR 20mg & take a 10mg booster in the afternoon if I need longer coverage for evening activities. (meetings, etc.) Sometimes your body needs a bit of time to adjust to the effects. I don't know if you're taking anything else too, but ask your doc if there could be any interactions occurring if you are. (I get occassional hand tremors in the PM & was convinced it was the Concerta. However, I've been repeatedly told that's actually a side effect from the Welbutrin instead.) My doc has also told me several times about folks he treats who just demand a switch after as little as a week on a new drug, which really doesn't give your body time to adjust/adapt to a new med.

It seems your doc also has the same cautious reluctance that mine has about prescribing Adderall & wanting to try many other meds first. I started out on Strattera (non-stimulant) but quit after many weeks of really bad side effects that only got worse with time. I then switched to Concerta for several months (54mg) but didn't like the drowsy "kick" I'd get at each release stage, so now I'm on Focalin. Like you, I too asked about Adderall when discussing with him what med to switch to from the Concerta. His explanation was that if I had issues with how the Concerta felt "kicking in" every few hours, then I definitely wouldn't like the Adderall for sure. He described it as "grabbing you by the shirt collar & slapping you upside the head" compared to only the drowsy/loopy effects I felt of the Concerta taking effect. Hence, the decision for Focalin, which I can still feel after first taking it, but not nearly as strong as the Concerta.

For lack of a better analogy, I guess I'd compare them to different types of liquor - some kinds hit you hard & quickly (vodka for me) yet other types (for me, gin) sneak up on you instead & you have a delayed buzz after drinking a few. In this case the Focalin would be the gin & the Adderall would be the vodka. (I know, a crummy analogy but it's the best I could come up with. :) )

kiwizee
12-10-09, 01:56 AM
The first time I tried Strattera it did nothing. Another MD had me try it again but titrated it very slowly...... Wow. It gives me the "time" to think before I speak. But I think my distractibility..... I have to work on .

jt51
12-14-09, 02:00 AM
I like focalin a lot. I'm prescribed 40mg XR each day. It has all the good concentration and other effects with none of the jitteryness or crashing that came with other ADD medicine I've tried. I haven't tried dexedrine, but if it compares to adderall like focalin compares to ritalin, I think I would love it. Adderall always seemed to have more intense positive effects, but the crashing was really bad for me.