View Full Version : Atenolol/Dexedrine

chinatown3003
11-12-09, 09:04 PM
This may have already been discussed......but I was wondering if anyone has any experience using atenolol with dexedrine. It seems like most users on here have been prescribed propranolol in conjuction with ADD meds. Is anyone aware of any issues with taking atenolol and amphetamines together? I know there has recently been some controversy with the effectiveness of it being given for BP control. However, a small dose of atenolol really seems to take the edge off of the dexedrine for me and allows me to be much more focused. Thanks.

mhoveybyrd
03-23-10, 03:28 PM
I take Atenolol 50 mg. along with Vyvanse 50 mg.. I just recently made the switch from Adderall Xr to Vyvanse. I prefer Vyvanse because the come down is a lot smoother than Adderall. I have also noticed that my heart rate and blood pressure have been normal than what it was when I was on Adderall Xr. On Adderall Xr my pulse rate was anywhere between 90-100 bpm. On Vyvanse is stays in the 70-75 range.

Nick
03-25-10, 11:55 AM
I want to know more about the safety of using a beta blocker with a stimulant medication as well. I would like to be able to take a beta blocker when I get on stimulants, but I want to be sure this can be done.

hollywood
03-30-10, 01:50 PM
I think I'm going to try attenol in low dose with my stim. I get some chest tightness at times on my meds and this beta blocker should do the trick without the serotonin side effects.

composer777
03-31-10, 04:27 PM
I would say it's ok.

I did a small amount of research on this.
Here are a few facts:
1. Most beta blockers only bock the beta adrenergic receptor, but leave the alpha receptor untouched
2. However, there are non-selective beta blockers, like coreg (which I'm on), which block both alpha and beta receptors. These are probably a better choice for those on adderall
3. Amphetamines stimulate both alpha and beta receptors.

Here's what alpha and beta receptors do:
a. Alpha receptors control vasoconstriction. The more they are stimulated, the more your blood vessels constrict, and the higher your blood pressure goes, along with the load on your heart. Stimulating alpha receptors shunts blood away from the skin, and into the muscles.
b. Beta receptors control how hard your heart beats, and how fast it beats. Blocking the beta receptors takes the load off your heart, by slowing it down, and causing it to beat less forcefully. A consequence of this is that you won't be able to exercise as hard on a beta blocker. By beating less forcefully, you effectively reduce your heart's demand for oxygen, providing some protection from lack of oxygen, and reducing blood pressure.

If you block the beta receptors, but stimulate the alpha receptors, you end up putting a load on your heart, but are interfering with it's ability to compensate. For this reason, they are contraindicated in the case of an amphetamine overdose, since they interfere with heart's ability to overcome severe vasoconstriction.

Some have taken the above fact further, and concluded that beta blockers are contraindicated when taking amphetamines at any does. But, so far, the studies have not backed this up. Under most circumstances, the heart is more than able to compensate for the extra load caused by selective beta-blockers. In the case of non-selective beta-blockers, it's even less of an issue, since both receptors are blocked, effectively blocking with adderalls' sympathetic nervous stimulation, while still allowing dopamine to rise in the brain, where you want the targeted action.

Nick
04-01-10, 01:14 PM
Thanks for that explanation. So I guess propranolol would not be a good choice. What other options are there?

composer777
04-01-10, 01:32 PM
Propranolol is still probably ok, as are most beta blockers. However, a non-selective beta blocker that blocks both alpha and beta receptors may be a better choice. Coreg (carvedilol) is one such drug.

Either way, I'm not a doctor. So take the above information with a grain of salt. It should be the start, not the end, of your own research.

Thanks for that explanation. So I guess propranolol would not be a good choice. What other options are there?

hollywood
04-05-10, 02:56 PM
I guess the main question that I'm asking is that since I have had some memory issues on serotonin based adjuncts...Is a beta blocker or intuniv in small doses or cymbalta or one of those medications better for sensory stimulation that can be distracting and caused by adhd stimulants.

mhoveybyrd
04-19-10, 07:32 PM
I asked both my primary care doctor and my mental health doctor about the combination of Vyvanse and Atenolol and they said that it was okay. They both checked my blood pressure and listened to my heart and told me to keep taking these meds because my BP and pulse have been better than they have ever been. So I guess the combination is okay...just be sure to monitor your blood pressure and communicate with both of your doctors regularly, unless you just deal with one.

HRJK
06-25-10, 06:42 PM
I did a small amount of research on this.
Here are a few facts:
1. Most beta blockers only bock the beta adrenergic receptor, but leave the alpha receptor untouched
2. However, there are non-selective beta blockers, like coreg (which I'm on), which block both alpha and beta receptors. These are probably a better choice for those on adderall
3. Amphetamines stimulate both alpha and beta receptors.

Here's what alpha and beta receptors do:
a. Alpha receptors control vasoconstriction. The more they are stimulated, the more your blood vessels constrict, and the higher your blood pressure goes, along with the load on your heart. Stimulating alpha receptors shunts blood away from the skin, and into the muscles.
b. Beta receptors control how hard your heart beats, and how fast it beats. Blocking the beta receptors takes the load off your heart, by slowing it down, and causing it to beat less forcefully. A consequence of this is that you won't be able to exercise as hard on a beta blocker. By beating less forcefully, you effectively reduce your heart's demand for oxygen, providing some protection from lack of oxygen, and reducing blood pressure.

If you block the beta receptors, but stimulate the alpha receptors, you end up putting a load on your heart, but are interfering with it's ability to compensate. For this reason, they are contraindicated in the case of an amphetamine overdose, since they interfere with heart's ability to overcome severe vasoconstriction.

Some have taken the above fact further, and concluded that beta blockers are contraindicated when taking amphetamines at any does. But, so far, the studies have not backed this up. Under most circumstances, the heart is more than able to compensate for the extra load caused by selective beta-blockers. In the case of non-selective beta-blockers, it's even less of an issue, since both receptors are blocked, effectively blocking with adderalls' sympathetic nervous stimulation, while still allowing dopamine to rise in the brain, where you want the targeted action.

This is an informative post, I found it while googling the combination of stimulants and beta blockers to try and remedy my own problems, but I believe a few corrections need to be made...

there are non-selective beta blockers, like coreg (which I'm on), which block both alpha and beta receptorsActually non-selective beta blockers don't block alpha receptors, they only block Beta 1 and 2 receptors. You're right that Coreg is a non-selective beta blocker and you're also right that it blocks alpha receptors, but not ALL non-selective beta blockers do this...in fact, there are only two that do (that I can find) which are Coreg and Trandate. The rest of the non-selective beta blockers, such as Nadolol (Corgard) and Propranolol (Inderal) do not block the alpha receptors.

Sources:
http://senior-health.emedtv.com/beta-blockers/list-of-beta-blockers.html
&
http://www.texasheart.org/hic/topics/meds/betameds.cfm

Now, that being said, I do not actually know which beta blocker would be best to take with a stimulant to reduce the side effect and edginess. I'm not a doctor and I don't prescribe these to people...plus, of the different stories on different sites and forums that I've read from people talking about taking beta blockers and stimulants together, I've seen all three types (selective, non-selective, and both alpha-and-beta blocking) mentioned as examples of what they took, so either some of them have crappy ill-informed doctors or it really doesn't matter that much which kind you're given. I'm guessing what matters most is who the person is that's getting the prescriptions, why they're getting it, and what their specific case is...one kind might be better for one person that it is for another, same as with most any other type of medication.
But if anyone has any additional information on the subject, I'd really like to hear it, since I too am pretty keen on getting my heart rate and anxiety reduced while on Adderall.

hollywood
06-26-10, 06:14 PM
Fairly sure that since anxiety even the edgy feeling are started mentally and then feed off your thoughts causing physical manifestations that's why u do not hear many taking beta blockers for anxiety of any kind. If there ate more examples please respond. So , snri or saris are going to be best. They seem to level this out . All you must do is get past the side effects

meridian
06-26-10, 06:28 PM
Have been on Atenolol 25 for years before starting Adderall 9 days ago.

With the weight loss from Strattera (2 lbs a month) and now Adderall (2 lbs a week!) my weight and BMI have come down about 10% and my bp is definitely better than it has been for a long time.

hollywood
06-27-10, 04:25 PM
Umm okay? So how would u say attenol helps, it just helps stage fright

HRJK
06-28-10, 06:44 PM
Fairly sure that since anxiety even the edgy feeling are started mentally and then feed off your thoughts causing physical manifestations that's why u do not hear many taking beta blockers for anxiety of any kind. If there ate more examples please respond. So , snri or saris are going to be best. They seem to level this out . All you must do is get past the side effects

Umm okay? So how would u say attenol helps, it just helps stage fright

I don't know this first hand, but I believe beta blockers like Atenolol help by lowering your heart rate and blood pressure, relieving many of the physical manifestations of anxiety. People take beta blockers for stage fright or before a big performance so that their hands won't shake, they won't sweat, feel a rapid heart beat, and feel generally more physically calm and collected which in return leads to a decreased sense of anxiety if your anxiety is brought on or greatly amplified by physical symptoms.

Benzos help mainly with the mental manifestations of anxiety, i.e. racing thoughts, fears, paranoia, over-analysis and so on. They're better for panic attacks since they take effect quickly and aren't super long lasting. What they do for the physical manifestations of anxiety is a little more unknown to me since I have seen conflicting reports that they either lower heart rate/blood pressure or raise it.

SSRIs and the like are supposedly more of a long term treatment for anxiety, by reducing the things that cause it in general over a longer period of time. However, I have never had any luck with them in this regard, even after 6 months or more on several of them. This is not to say they don't work at all though, just that they affect people differently.

So if you are more worried about the physical manifestations of anxiety, beta blockers would likely be more effective. For instance, I can be in a relaxed atmosphere with nothing to provoke anxiety but I will suddenly feel my heart beating very fast (as the result of a stimulant). I will be unable to stop focusing on it and that will lead to mental anxiety. If the physical symptoms are stopped, the mental symptoms stop as well, which I believe is the target of beta blockers when used as an anxiolytic medication.

hollywood
06-28-10, 08:37 PM
Thankyou, I believe I may have both aspects of anxiety, but many times I think treating the physical aspects would be best... I am just not certain, I will try an snri for example and stop too soon because I feel like I cannot think but this is only after a few days... I believe I overanalyze things as well I just do not know. I am on day one of cymbalta and had less physical anxiety but I was slower mentally at work, maybe if I gut it out ir will pass... I believe I may have depression due to my work. U am not sure what beta blockers are best? I do know they slow exercise gains.... Are aloha blockers like tenex useful for physical anxiety? My anxiety comes and goes depending on environment but usually feels like tightness in my chest . I hate it

Psionic
11-18-11, 02:38 AM
Sorry to revive this year old topic, but is clonidine safe with amphetamines if it's an alpha receptor STIMULANT ? I don't understand how it could be mixed with dex/adderal by so many people ?