View Full Version : How do I only eat when I'm hungry?!?

paintbrush412
11-15-09, 07:21 PM
I keep reaching for anything bread or anything sweet tasting to keep myself something resembling focused (not outright junk like cookies and candy because that makes me moody and even more scattered, but so much of everything else that it doesn't make much difference!) I try to wait until I feel even a little hungry to eat, but then I get scattered and cranky and sometimes I even get a headache. I already know that this can be an ADHD thing, what I am asking is how to get over it!
Thanks

ginniebean
11-15-09, 07:24 PM
It takes about two weeks for the body to adjust to a diet without simple carbs. That means after such time the cravings lessen considerably, however, one suger binge and you're close to square one.

Normal Mom
11-15-09, 09:56 PM
I had a friend who used to suck on breath mints as a way to wean herself. Perhaps something like this may help you?

ecu20
11-19-09, 07:30 AM
I keep reaching for anything bread or anything sweet tasting to keep myself something resembling focused (not outright junk like cookies and candy because that makes me moody and even more scattered, but so much of everything else that it doesn't make much difference!) I try to wait until I feel even a little hungry to eat, but then I get scattered and cranky and sometimes I even get a headache. I already know that this can be an ADHD thing, what I am asking is how to get over it!
Thanks
headache and symptoms similar to ADHD you describe sounds alike to low blood sugar (or glucose) in your blood. It seems as if you are looking for something to keep your stomach satisfied, which in my opinion, is best done by a regimine of metamucil like fiber supplements in powder form.

Fiber helps slow down digestion thus lowering blood glucose spikes/increasing consistency. You should put a fiber drink supplement along your daily regimin at set intervals each day to adhere to.

Marspider
11-22-09, 06:26 AM
Try eating more protein especially in the morning. Sugar is an addiction and you have to wean yourself off. Breakfast is really important. And never eat sugar coated cereals for breakfast. A hard boiled egg is good.
If it helps, try eating more smaller meals.

Bjartur
02-03-10, 09:26 PM
Eat till you got enough, it's not necessary to fill you totally up, you won't die by it. It's a good thing to start on, i lost about 50 grams each week by just changing my way of eating.

forgreatjustice
02-04-10, 06:15 PM
Wow! I'm the exact same way!
Nice to know I'm not alone...

Cacho
02-04-10, 07:23 PM
Try cutting up fruits and veggies into bite size bits and placing them in attractive tupperwares or some sort of nice looking containers. Then when you want to snack just pop wedges of apple or grapes into your mouth. You still get sugar, which you might need, but it's actually healthy.

Basically, snack on fruits and veggies. The way to do this, I found, is to cut them up and prepare them ahead time, or you'll never do it. If they're all cut up, ready to go, and in nice clean attractive containers, they feel like snacks.

Freezing stuff can make em seem like snacks too. I love frozen grapes for example.

Run-Bike-Surf
04-26-10, 11:24 PM
You might want to luck up (and get tested) for Candida.

Five years ago, I was 250 lbs, strong, but not fit. I lived at the gym, but my waistline kept expanding to 38+ inches

I'm now @ 207 lbs, 11% body fat and a 33 inch waistline. I recently got serious with running, so I have done six races, two 5K's a 10K, 15K and two half Marathons.

I doubt that I could have done any of it while still fighting Candida!

wsmac
04-27-10, 03:46 AM
Do you overeat more when you have little to do, or are doing something that isn't stimulating you enough?

When I can keep myself busy, I don't think of eating.
I still eat, I just don't eat out of boredom.
Here at the hospital, things can get really slow sometimes.
When that happens, I start reaching/searching for food.
When we're busy, I don't miss not eating. I do break for lunch and eat, or sometimes I just eat my lunch in short bursts as I get a moment to stop and eat.

At home... I tend to eat more because I do not keep myself moving/working enough.
This is especially true if I stay up really late on the computer.

fracturedstory
05-01-10, 06:28 AM
I eat at certain times in the day i.e...

9:am breakfast

10:30am : a little snack, though sometimes I go without

12:00pm: Lunch

2:00pm: Snack

6:00pm: Dinner

8pm: Tea and biscuit which is the last thing I have.

Of course it doesn't work for everyone.
Try drinking water between meals and whenever you feel hungry. It has zero calories and is an appetite suppressant. Protein and fiber can fill you up quickly too, as can anything that is LO GI.

I also agree to stimulate yourself more. I usually forget to eat if I'm hyperfocusing on something, but I always have my 3 meals a day at the right times.

I also agree with eating fruit as snacks. Fruits are usually low in calories and full of fiber.