View Full Version : Article on Excercise and Stress

APSJ
11-18-09, 11:35 PM
“It looks more and more like the positive stress of exercise prepares cells and structures and pathways within the brain so that they’re more equipped to handle stress in other forms,” says Michael Hopkins, a graduate student affiliated with the Neurobiology of Learning and Memory Laboratory at Dartmouth, who has been studying how exercise differently affects thinking and emotion. “It’s pretty amazing, really, that you can get this translation from the realm of purely physical stresses to the realm of psychological stressors.”
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/18/phys-ed-why-exercise-makes-you-less-anxious/

I've always found that exercise helps relieve anxiety and stress when I can get myself to do it, but I always thought of it as basically limited in effect to the period of, and directly after, the exercise. This article suggests that regular exercise can actually change the way your brain handles stress.

Fierwing
11-19-09, 12:33 PM
Fantastic!

Now I'll know that I'm irresponsibly failing to do something which could drastically improve my mental health when sitting on the couch thinking about running instead of just strongly suspecting that such is the case.

If only there were a way to put the excercise before the stress..

APSJ
11-19-09, 08:05 PM
Fantastic!

Now I'll know that I'm irresponsibly failing to do something which could drastically improve my mental health when sitting on the couch thinking about running instead of just strongly suspecting that such is the case.

This is exactly what I thought after reading this article.

I would imagine that the knowledge contained in it could be a great motivator for people who can be motivated by such things.

Would that I were one of them.