View Full Version : Advice

eveschnaze
11-21-09, 03:27 PM
Hi,
I am new to this board and Im hoping to find support and advice from others who have gone thru the same type of situation. My son is 14 yrs. old, has ADHD/ODD and was recently subscribed Abilify on top of his current regime of Adderrall XR 20 mg.We are starting Abilify today, 5mg. This whole situation is scarring the daylights out of me. He is soo young to be on meds (adderall since age 7)
and I worry about him constantly. He isnt coping well in school, I get
phone calls almost daily. It is emotionally draining not only for myself, but for him as well.
Thank you for your time,
Eve

trishcan
11-21-09, 03:55 PM
I don't have children, but do understand your concerns. I didn't begin meds until age 14, but I would have the same fears about any child taking medication. I definitely know that some children need medication, but it can be hard to determine how it's affecting them.

Maybe you can ease your fears by keeping really open communication with your child. Together, keep a log of any side effects, questions, benefits. Encourage him to speak up if something doesn't seem quite right. As long as he's able to tell you what's going on, you'll be able to identify any problems and make sure that he's getting the best treatment possible.

Reagan
11-21-09, 05:40 PM
14 years old may seem young to be on medications, but it really isn't. Plenty of teenagers you know are on medications they never talk about. Every day I think back and wish that I could've gotten help at that young of an age. ADD meds really aren't as hardcore as people make them out to be and the anxiety about taking them seems to always be with parents of ADDers and not ADDers themselves. I've often suspected that the problem isn't so much in making your kid take medication as it is accepting that your kid has a serious disorder that requires medication. Just a thought.

Be aware that your son is fourteen and adolescence can be a very difficult time for ADDers and non-ADDers alike.

I would encourage you to get him involved in sports, especially football and wrestling (no low-intensity stuff like baseball). If he doesn't want to, you might need to just coerce him into it. I stopped playing sports in high school because I hated all the players. I really suffered for it. I wish my parents had forced me into it. Any teenage boy, but especially one with ADD, is going to have a lot of pent up energy, rage, and hostility. Nothing -- not screaming into a pillow, not punching a pillow, not jogging, not talking to a therapist -- nothing purges those emotions like sprinting up to that quarterback and slamming him into the ground.

robin446
11-22-09, 01:18 PM
Eve.........I agree. I believe your child is way too young to be on these meds. However, if you HAVE to get them or any other meds, and don't have insurance, go to www.medpap.ws and print a coupon so you can get them for less. I have already helped out several friends and is probably a site that many pharmaceutical companies don't want u to know about. Things are tough enuf out there, and their profits are huge. Time for the CONSUMER to fight back. Take care and good luck. I personally think the best medicine for adults is a huge dose of Dr. Wayne Dyer and his teachings. He is very helpful to me for my depression with his spiritual teachings. My favorite line is:

If you change the way you look at things
The things you look at change.

Good luck Eve to you.

Dizfriz
11-22-09, 01:53 PM
Hi,
I am new to this board and Im hoping to find support and advice from others who have gone thru the same type of situation. My son is 14 yrs. old, has ADHD/ODD and was recently subscribed Abilify on top of his current regime of Adderrall XR 20 mg.We are starting Abilify today, 5mg. This whole situation is scarring the daylights out of me. He is soo young to be on meds (adderall since age 7)
phone calls almost daily. It is emotionally draining not only for myself, but for him as well.
Thank you for your time,
Eve

I have seen Abilify used on children. When it works, sometimes the changes are amazing. "Like a magic wand" is one description I have heard from teachers.

The problem is that Abilify does not work for all and for those it works for, not all get that that dramatic a result.

It is now approved for children ages 13-17. It is your decision to give it a try.

The big thing is to consult often with the doctor and to monitor for side effects. All medications have side effects and some can be serious. This includes aspirin which can be life threatening for some.

Good luck

Dizfriz

Makeit1
11-22-09, 11:40 PM
Hi,
Thank you for your time,
Eve

I'm in high school still young on a number of medicine, take it easy its part of his disability that this happens the school system is a total pain with kids who are defiant with their rules even though its part of their disability. Don't overwhelm him with so many medicines and such, see what works carefully monitor him etc, and he'll be better in no time. Other than that, hes going to be good. Im on suspension now as we talk, my odd is pretty bad I react at once when I'm confronted by a teacher, and I'm really defiant, I get suspended weekly almost and I get kicked out daily out of classes.

MGDAD
11-23-09, 02:16 PM
Abilify is a good medication, with a good side affect profile. What are the phone calls about? Is your son being aggressive at school?

Why did your doctor prescribe Abilify over an antidepressant?