View Full Version : Brain more active with less hours of sleep HELP

Marspider
11-22-09, 06:20 AM
Whatīs going on??
I had 3 hours of sleep on (thurs-Fri) and my brain felt more alive. My body didn't feel good but I managed to get into shower, dress up, pick up my stuff and make the 8:24 bus to get to uni on time for 9h all the while dragging a suitcase which makes me slower than normal. I estimated the time I needed accurately, I didn't tune out as often happens and did things when I was supposed to and got out of the house, and I didn't have to run. This RARELY happens and I always miss the bloody bus and wander into class half an hour late.

Itīs something Iīve noticed, my brain seems to get foggy the more hours of sleep I get. It will be horrible waking up but once I do, my brain works.

BUT it catches up with me during the day and I feel like I normally do when I donīt get enough sleep, just a melting mass of blergh. And the adverse affects on my health when I donīt sleep, bags under my eyes, bad health etc. Iīm currently suffering from my third cold sore of the year.

I was feeling really really horrible the next day (7 hours of sleep, still in sleep deficit). I had to be at work on Saturday at 8 and I was barely in myself and dribbling down the phone. I even fell asleep while talking to customers on the phone. Thank goodness my job is very simple and boring and the words I have to say are totally automatic. I guess I really can do it in my sleep ha ha ha.

I have a project due for Monday I meant to work on the whole weekend but I had to drag myself home, take a nap cos I couldnīt function and sleep the rest of the night. I still feel groggy today Sunday. Taken 20 mgs of methylphenidate but not sharp in myself.

I've noticed 6 hours of sleep is worse for my brain than 2-3 hours of sleep. Though with enough sleep I donīt notice that my brain is working better. Itīs been years since Iīve woken up rested.

Whatīs going on? I don't sleep all that great at the best of times. Is it breathing problems or what?

roseblood
03-12-10, 01:34 PM
If it's a breathing problem, they are detectable. It can require expensive technology to conclusively diagnose some sleep disorders though, so your doctor might try some risk-free treatments, e.g. for apnea, just on the basis of symptoms that you're able to report yourself. It will depend where you live and who your doctor is.

You probably feel more awake when more sleep deprived because of the adrenaline that sleep deprivation is flooding you with. It's not a sustainable solution I'm afraid, as your body will become addicted to that adrenaline rush over time. People who have been chronically very sleep find that when they begin sleeping more again, they actually feel terrible. It's withdrawal from the adrenaline your body has come to expect. So not worthwhile as a strategy I'm afraid.