View Full Version : Learning disabilities and remembering

excel
11-23-09, 12:07 PM
I don't know how to say this but here it goes. How do we know if rememberering something is a learning disiabilty or not.For example, I am forty something and haven't delt with math fractions for a long long time. I used to be good at doing fraction but I haven't dealt with them for 20 plus years.So off the top of my head ian no longer do them. The same with remembering history. I am a firm believer in that if we don't use it, and if we don't talk about it we loose it. How do we if something like this is because of a learning disabiltiy or just the fact that we forget over time.

EYEFORGOT
11-24-09, 10:52 AM
When it comes to math or remembering things that are more academic in nature, if we don't use it we lose it. Often our education uses short-term memory to pass the tests. Unless we have a genuine interest and keep up with the info or reading about it, we forget it. I have a terrible memory. I used to know lots of information on natural childbirth, nursing, etc, but have pretty much forgotten or have a slow recall because I simply haven't been keeping up with it for about 8 years.

I am guessing here, but if the forgetting is interfereing in our daily lives and is in more than one or two subjects, especially those dealing with the present, then I would examine it more closely. Forgetfullness can have any number of causes, not just a learning disability.

excel
11-25-09, 01:12 PM
I remember somethings very well. Go figure

excel
12-09-09, 12:55 PM
Brain damage adhd learning disabilities are getting to the point where I can't handle it

EYEFORGOT
12-09-09, 01:20 PM
If it's that bad then only a doctor can really help you out. I did get a book about helping me have a better memory...but I forget to read it. ;)

excel
12-13-09, 03:53 PM
Things for me are getting a little bit better. I just take one step at a time and pray a lot.

excel
01-04-10, 11:53 AM
I can't rember lectures or anything like that it does doesn't stay in the mind

excel
07-06-10, 09:19 AM
medication doesn't help my memory

meadd823
07-06-10, 02:42 PM
Medication doesn't help my memory just my attention span - I have always had an excellent long term memory even though my working memory sort of sucks -

Rebelyell
07-06-10, 03:42 PM
I have an excellent memory almost total recall like.altho when it comes to math.fractions Im dumb as a stick

excel
07-19-10, 09:04 AM
Do you have poor visualization. That would explain the poor math skills. I know someone who has a photographic memory

excel
07-28-10, 01:40 PM
Can Abilify help with recalling information quicker

excel
09-28-10, 02:43 PM
Remembering is a real problem

Crazygirl79
09-28-10, 09:38 PM
My memory is sh*t to put it plainly, I find it difficult especially during exams to remember anything and I'm usually lucky to pass by a minimum despite the fact I'm apparently capable of much better work, my learning disabilities mainly affect the areas of maths, reflexes and memory...

I have also found that medication does not work for my memory though it does work for my concentration.

Selena

excel
09-29-10, 09:28 AM
What helped me pass my exams was a tape called where theres a will theirs an A. I started using a tape recorder in class. I played it over and over again along wth other techniques. My shot uo to As and Bs.

excel
12-01-10, 03:37 PM
I have a really good memory for certain things and a really bad memory for other thigs

excel
12-03-10, 10:33 AM
The one thing that bothers me is forgetting stuff that I should remember, while their are things that I remember very well.

excel
02-22-11, 02:22 PM
What bothers me is stuff I need to remember I don't, and the things I don't need to remeber I do

excel
03-16-11, 01:28 PM
The memory confuses me to no end

StoicNate
03-16-11, 02:34 PM
My memory is very bad.
If they ever make a medication that helps with memory and ADHD I'd be the first one to try it.

excel
03-16-11, 06:19 PM
I think I can remember little chunks of information, but not large amounts

zannie
03-17-11, 09:47 AM
That is actually a memory trick to put several things you want to remember in chunks. To do that you need to somehow connect the small peices of info together.
For example, say I want to remember the groceries I need to get grouping vegtables together can help. I helps more if you can see other commonalities in the group ie: colour, texture etc.

excel
03-17-11, 07:10 PM
That is actually a memory trick to put several things you want to remember in chunks. To do that you need to somehow connect the small peices of info together.
For example, say I want to remember the groceries I need to get grouping vegtables together can help. I helps more if you can see other commonalities in the group ie: colour, texture etc.
memory tricks don't work for me

excel
03-21-11, 06:38 PM
I can't remember my math at all.

excel
03-24-11, 11:41 AM
I think my lack of visualizatiopn is the reason I have trouble with remembering

excel
03-26-11, 10:45 PM
The memory confuses me

excel
04-08-11, 11:51 AM
When it comes to math or remembering things that are more academic in nature, if we don't use it we lose it. Often our education uses short-term memory to pass the tests. Unless we have a genuine interest and keep up with the info or reading about it, we forget it. I have a terrible memory. I used to know lots of information on natural childbirth, nursing, etc, but have pretty much forgotten or have a slow recall because I simply haven't been keeping up with it for about 8 years.

I am guessing here, but if the forgetting is interfereing in our daily lives and is in more than one or two subjects, especially those dealing with the present, then I would examine it more closely. Forgetfullness can have any number of causes, not just a learning disability.
True, bu we should recall a certain percentage of information

excel
04-09-11, 03:43 PM
Can learning disabilties be improved by medication.

excel
06-11-11, 05:43 PM

But shouldn't we remember 25 percent of what we learn. Shouldn't we we remember the things we learned in english class growing up

excel
10-04-11, 01:27 PM
Does it get worse the older we are?

TygerSan
10-06-11, 09:37 AM
For me, remembering things I've learned depends on 2 things.

One, is it something I'm interested in? If so, then I remember it better.

Two, is it something I'm good at? If so, it is easier for me to process. If it's easier to process, it's easier to remember.

This is why those brain training games won't work for me. I'm really bad at the games that require short-term memory. You're supposed to practice the things you're not good at in order to improve. I find the games so frustrating, that I *don't* practice. Therefore I don't improve, and sometimes I actually forget.

excel
10-06-11, 02:57 PM
For me, remembering things I've learned depends on 2 things.

One, is it something I'm interested in? If so, then I remember it better.

Two, is it something I'm good at? If so, it is easier for me to process. If it's easier to process, it's easier to remember.

This is why those brain training games won't work for me. I'm really bad at the games that require short-term memory. You're supposed to practice the things you're not good at in order to improve. I find the games so frustrating, that I *don't* practice. Therefore I don't improve, and sometimes I actually forget.
They did a study on those brain training programs and found that really don't have an effect on improving the memory.
I think if we are ineterested and are good at it our moemory recalls the information better.

excel
10-29-11, 04:25 PM
It's strange that I can rember things from long ago and other people don't rember.

rickymooston
10-30-11, 11:14 PM
It's strange that I can rember things from long ago and other people don't rember.

Not strange. Your ADHD mind remembers what its interested in at the moment. That's why we lose things.

I almost lost my wedding ring. Scary

excel
11-01-11, 06:49 PM
I have brain damage which affects the memory

excel
11-16-13, 09:13 PM
For some things just don't stay in the brain unless the hear it over and over again

Adduce
11-30-13, 02:11 PM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-E9MMTciBo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-E9MMTciBo)

eclectic beagle
12-14-13, 06:50 PM

Also, from the studies I've read, those brain training games don't affect one's performance in a general way--they're only specific to that task.

HXofADHD.W/F76
12-15-13, 11:29 AM
I don't know about others but for me when I am interested in something it's a LOT easier to remember. When it comes to mundane factoids, entirely different story. I read, re-read, make notes, make cards and I'm lucky if I can recall half of it. Not sure if is due to ADD or Dyslexia or both but the ONLY way I have found to remember things is via music. If I can set things to music I do not forget it. As you might imagine though, this all takes time to come up with. Just something to try I guess.

Diony
12-28-13, 10:53 AM
I did a memory test and it came out normal although i also did a test for learning i guess it had to be ffr that, i dont remember the names of them, go figure ha lol

I have a learning disability but im not sure what specifically just says Ld

excel
01-16-14, 06:43 PM
I hate the fact that it goes in one ear and out the other

BonitaB
02-17-14, 04:58 PM
I get that, I find it very frustrating that I seem to have very little memory. I am told "it's in there", however, I am thinking that the person who told me that does not have AD/HD...:confused:

excel
02-19-14, 03:01 PM
It may have something to do with visual memory.

TygerSan
02-19-14, 05:02 PM
There are different types of memory. Like excel, I have a very good long term memory, and remember things that happened a long time ago pretty accurately. That means that once I've committed something to memory, it sticks, but getting to that point is very difficult.

If you think of a computer, long-term memory is like writing something to disk (well, it'd a bit more complicated than that, in that sometimes it's harder to access than a disk is to read, but the concept is the same).

Working memory on the other hand is like RAM. It's what we use to process information on the fly. The average person can only hold around seven chunks of information at a time. After that, we crash. I crash earlier, as most of us with ADHD tend to.

Even this is a bit of a simplification, as people have slightly different abilities based on the type of information being processed. I have a pretty poor memory for visual information, for example, but a better one for verbal information.

excel
02-27-14, 10:02 AM
My memory is good for some things and not others.

excel
06-06-14, 12:46 AM
I am wondering what age does to those of us that are deficient in visual and logical memory

excel
12-22-14, 03:55 PM
My short ter memory is getting worse