View Full Version : Tell me what you know about Adderall

Lori07
11-24-09, 10:06 AM
My son has just been diagnosed with ADHD and the doctor would like to try him on Adderall. When I got home I tried to research it a bit on the internet but I would like to hear what others have to say about it please. I have not filled the prescription he gave us because I want to know all I can about it before I decide to give it to him. Plus I think it might be one of the expensive ones but I'm not sure. Any help would be great thanks so much.

river09
11-24-09, 12:11 PM
How old is your son?
I would be very cautious about giving a kid this med. especiallly if he is really young or if he's in middle or high school and their is a history of addiction or drug abuse in your family. thts just my opinion....it is amphetamine and it could help, but it could also turn into him depending on it the rest of his life.
I think its great that your looking into it before giving it to him. hopefully some other moms can give you some advice. for me, after taking it for my add, I would probably never give it to my boys, especially under age????12...and then my concern would be health, diet, abuse, friends asking to buy it, staying up late on computer, doubting ability to do anything w/o the med. I would try all other alternatives before I did it. thats just me, and most people on here will probably disagree.
good luck

river09
11-24-09, 12:26 PM
I saw this in another post...interesting
http://www.pbs.org/merrow/repository...ttn/guide.html (http://www.pbs.org/merrow/repository/Television/Past/_attn/guide.html)

MGDAD
11-24-09, 12:27 PM
Adderall is one of the common stimulant medications prescribed for ADHD. Is the prescription for plain Adderall, or Adderall XR. The XR stands for extended release, so that it lasts longer. Stimilants are either short acting pills that last for about 3 hours or long acting versions that can last from 6-12 hours depending on the pills design. Generally, kids are not put on medication under the age of 6.

While there are risks with giving stimulants to people with ADHD, there are many benefits. Plus, if you dont give them the medicine they are at a big dissadvantage compared to "normal" kids. Studies have shown that children whose ADHD was properly treated with stimulants are much less likely to turn to illegal drugs later in life. There is not much risk of abuse, when you are the parent administering it.

If the stimulant is effective for your child it will reduce the hyperactivity, and allow him to focus better on tedious tasks. It will also reduce his impulsivity.

Good luck with your decision.

Brookeslost
11-24-09, 12:36 PM
My daughter is in Middle School and is 11 and is now receiving post cards in the mail from her math teacher with "math rocks" on them and giving her praise for how well she is doing. I no longer have to hound her to do her chores and clean her room. And is also getting As in Math on her tests when NO one else can! I only wish I could have had my parents help with my ADHD when I was a kid.....live and learn! I wanted her to have help before the chaos of middle school really affected her learning/concentration/attn span/ etc. She is also in basket ball and last yr she would lag behind the rest of the team getting to the basket and talk to herself on her lone way back up. This year shes the front of the team and made 2 baskets and at least one assist. Their team is undefeated!
:)

chitwnmomma
12-02-09, 12:08 AM
Hi, My 9 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with severe adhd, and I was told to avoid adderal like the plague. My Psychologist said it tends to make children into zombies and you lose who they are while they're on it. She recommended concerta, so I'm doing my Homework on that now. Hope this helps!

Ms. Mango
12-02-09, 01:33 AM
Hi, My 9 yr old daughter was just diagnosed with severe adhd, and I was told to avoid adderal like the plague. My Psychologist said it tends to make children into zombies and you lose who they are while they're on it. She recommended concerta, so I'm doing my Homework on that now. Hope this helps!

Everyone reacts differenly to medication. Adderall (XR 5mg) didn't turn my son into a zombie. It made him a little chatty, but while it was in his system it worked fine. His basic personality was unaffected--we didn't "lose" the real person--if anything he was a pleasure to be with.

For him the problem was when he rebounded (when the medication wore off)--he became verbally defiant and emotional. That's the primary reason he's no longer on Adderall.

It sounds like you have some more questions for your son's doctor before you're comfortable. Why not give him/her a call and go over your concerns and discuss your options. If you decide to go forward, start on a weekend or school break so you can see how the medication affects your son.

No one can say for certain if this is the drug for him; it may take trials of several different medications before you find the right one.

MGDAD
12-02-09, 02:14 PM

You psychologist does not know what he is talking about. Concerta and Adderal are different, but not that different. They both can be good adhd meds for some people. OTOH, any med that turns you into a "Zombie" should be discontinued.