View Full Version : How to Gain Weight While on Meds and Vegetarian Diet?

SamR
11-25-09, 01:32 AM
Hi guys! Earlier this year, I (a 16-year old male) was placed on 30 mg of Vyvanse for my Inattentive-Type A.D.H.D. (duh), weighing about 121 pounds and being about 5'7" tall. It's quite underweight for my height, but not at a level that would merit concern, since lankiness is quite prevalent on both sides of my family and I still eat normally.

After a month, I had lost about 3 pounds and my dosage was upped to 50 mg. At around this time, I had also convinced my parents to let me become a vegetarian (I'd been wanting to be one since I was six, but my parents kept changing their minds as to when I could become one and I finally confronted them about it). However, after another month had passed, my weight had dropped about 5 pounds, still my doctor upped my dose to 70 mg because I still wasn't really feeling any effect of the medications. During this time, I'd had dry mouth and loss of appetite, and a month later, I had lost another 8 pounds or so, bringing my weight down to 104 pounds and prompting my doctor to change my prescription to 50 mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. This stopped the side effects that (I thought) had caused such a huge loss in weight, but my parents decided that I could not continue being a vegetarian if I did not bring up my weight to a level they found sufficient by the time of my next appointment in a month. At the end of that month (last Wednesday), my weight had only gone up by 3 pounds, even though my parents bought various snack foods for me in an effort to boost my weight. This means that, in addition to looking nearly emaciated, I can't be a vegetarian any longer. Neither of these facts is pleasing to me. Can anyone give me advice (ANY AT ALL) on how to bring my weight up (and keep it up) that would comply with a vegetarian diet? I don't really want to gain all the weight and lose it all once I go off the vegetarian diet again.

So basically, if you didn't really understand or just didn't feel like reading that, I've lost a ton of weight as a combined result of Vyvanse and a vegetarian diet, and I need ways to help bring it up that are vegetarian-friendly (though eggs are fine). And before you say "eat a lot of junk food;" it doesn't work. I've tried.

-Sam :)

Trooper Keith
11-25-09, 03:43 AM
Protein shakes. You can't gain weight without taking in more calories than you burn, basically. That's just how it works. To gain weight you need to be eating well in excess of 2000 calories a day. That's really hard to do on a vegetarian diet. Protein shakes and other supplements for protein and calories are your best bet.

Why do your parents even factor? They can't force meat down your throat. What you eat is your decision and yours alone. But you need to consider your own health when you make that decision, so finding a way to get enough calories to gain weight is important.

SamR
11-25-09, 04:36 AM
Protein shakes. You can't gain weight without taking in more calories than you burn, basically. That's just how it works. To gain weight you need to be eating well in excess of 2000 calories a day. That's really hard to do on a vegetarian diet. Protein shakes and other supplements for protein and calories are your best bet.

Why do your parents even factor? They can't force meat down your throat. What you eat is your decision and yours alone. But you need to consider your own health when you make that decision, so finding a way to get enough calories to gain weight is important.

Yeah, I tried one of my mother's health shakes a few days ago, but upon closer discovered that they were DIET shakes.

Also, I know that they shouldn't factor into these things, but they are extremely overbearing (and have been throughout my entire life) and make my life completely miserable whenever I disobey any of their demands, effectively indirectly forcing me to do pretty much anything. For example, my mother said that if I refuse to eat meat this Thanksgiving, I'll have to stay at my father's house (which is just as bad; see below) while she goes to my grandfather's house.

Plus, my ability to argue is just terrible, and they always end up winning any arguments we have because I can never make a valid point or rebuttal at the time of the discussion, even when I know my point is valid. My brain just kind of shuts down at the sign of any sort of conflict. And when I do try to argue, they (almost always my father) go off on a tangent about how I obviously have oppositional defiant disorder/bipolar disorder/depressive issues/etc. and how I should see a therapist because I'm so "unhappy" and "argumentative" and blah, blah, blah...

ANYWAY, BACK ON TOPIC: Thanks. I'll try to ask my mom to buy some non-diet protein shakes. I've been drinking whole milk lately, since I'd only been drinking 2% before, and it's seemed to be somewhat beneficial.

KDLMaj
11-28-09, 03:38 PM
It isn't hard to gain weight on a vegetarian diet (I'm a vegan gym rat, and I do just fine for myself)- the hard part is dealing with the appetite suppression of the Vyvanse. Your best bet is to start switching to lots of snacking. Instead of eating 2-3 larger meals, try to start eating 5-6 smaller meals. It's not easy to do, but you can sneak in a bag of nuts to class, some PB&J sandwiches, and- as previously mentioned- start using protein shakes. Physical exercise can also increase your appetite- so give that a shot.

Also try adding some vegan meats to your diet:
Field Roast Vegan Sausages are awesome (try the apple sausages!), and they're 250 calories per link

Brazil nuts are GREAT- lots of calories and they're loaded with good fats

PB&J sandwiches (get unbleached whole grain bread) are easily 400 calories each. So they add up quickly.

It can totally be done! I've bulked up 25 lbs in 3 months with a combination of gym and (vegan) diet.

mildadhd
11-28-09, 04:04 PM
Protein Shakes are the key. Eat at least 6 meals a day. Get a blender, make your own,frozen berries and fruits with a good source of protein causes me to be overweight, peanuts and almonds. Rice milk is a easyway to get lots of carbs. (although it has no protein.) I cannot overestimate the power of hemp seeds (shelled). It has almost everything a human needs.
Watch your sugar intake with the fruits, its easy to overdue it(diabetes)
Make sure you get a protein powder for weight gain. Some of them like you mentioned have synthetic sweetners and are designed for weight lose.
Black Bears are almost vegetarian. Look at the size of them.
Like Kmiller said you need more calories than you burn.
Interesting.
FunnyHead

NoReally
12-07-09, 01:30 PM
PB&J. Guacamole or hummus to dip your veggies into. Cream cheese spreads to dip your fruits into. Bread -- the good healthy whole grain kind of course. Cheese if you eat it. Nuts -- have a bag of almonds & walnuts in your locker and grab a few between classes.

Yeah, I tried one of my mother's health shakes a few days ago, but upon closer discovered that they were DIET shakes.

Doesn't matter. A shake becomes a diet shake if you use it to replace a meal. If you use it to supplement a meal, it helps you gain weight. The Slim-Fast in front in me is 180 calories and 6 grams of fat. If you manage to add that to your day in between meals, then it's an extra 180 calories and 6 grams of fat and will help you gain weight.

rickymooston
01-04-10, 12:24 AM
If you are not diabetic, try drinking cola to make you hungry about 1/2 hour before a meal. This should raise your insulin and make you hungry.

In terms of food, bread and protein might help. I'm not sure.

Given your degree of being underweight, you should consult a doctor or dietition for advice too.

NBizzzle
01-06-10, 11:38 PM
my brother is a phys trainer so i know this stuff. I also understand your lack of appetite. Had it occur when i was on adderall. Eat lots of carbs(bread, etc.) and dont burn it off. bread is light and tastes good. lol. also drink milkshakes. Mix up watever you want. You'll like it and eventually you'll put on a few pounds

sans_serif
06-05-10, 06:08 PM
I am a dairy-free, sugar-free vegetarian.

Eat peanut butter at least 2x a day. Put it on your apples, sandwiches. 2 servings is about 400 calories.

Nuts: Walnuts, almonds, peanuts! As many as you want!

Avocadoes=yum!
Beans= These are great for quesadillas and corn chips and salsa. You can get them canned or dry or refried in a can.

I don't know if you have tried any veggie burgers, but I highly recommend you try some. The very yummiest veggie-tasting kind are Dr Praegers, but the Boca Vegan burgers are good, too. They don't have that many calories, but they will help you add calories and make a good burger if you add a full tablespoon of mayonaise, some avocado, and maybe some cheddar or swiss cheese it will be quite good.

CLIF BARS! Ohmygod these are great! (They have sugar, so i am not eating them now). They pack 300 calories apiece and have an even balance of protein, fat, and carbs. I always kept one in my backpack so I could have something if I couldn't make myself go out and get lunch or for any other time because I was too focused. I now have Larabars or Lunabars, as these have no sugar, but they are harder to find and cost more. Have 2 of these a day.

If you do eat cheese, I suggest you eat brie. Best cheese in the world, so many calories! Have it on french bread, crackers, or by itself (I don't eat this now, but it will help you maintain/gain weight).

Oatmeal is my cereal base of choice (150 calories per half cup). I like it cold with almond slivers maple syrup, and rice milk. This is because I am no dairy no sugar vegetarian though. Otherwise, I suggest you get granola, and have it by the cup with at least %2 milk or soy/rice/almond milk if you don't like dairy.

barnops
06-05-10, 09:49 PM
I drink protein shakes. All the time!
But I also add a serving of "cream of wheat" mix into the shake while I am blending (yes, uncooked, dry mix)

Tastes great with chocolate protein powder and goes down very easily. Adds another 100 or so calories to the mix, and the carbs are a necessity with all the protein.

I also always have a few things of "Ensure" or "Boost" with me. Its like 20g of protein, and 250 calories in a half cup of stuff so even when Im not hungry, it doesn't take much to "fill up".

Juice
06-22-10, 09:20 PM
lots of good advice above.
I am also a vegan (mostly raw ) gym rat . I am 5'5 and 102-107 lb female.
I eat all day long but really healthy low fat foods
In the winter I go as high as 110(:shock: ) and it is easy .
I eat more nuts and other good quality fats.
As a vegetarian you can eat all milk products you want and eggs-the yokes are high in fat and cholesterol . You can really load up on calories this way . Prior to going vegan I was an ice cream addict and could eat it by the pint ! Milk shakes too are a good option.
Your protein shakes should contain whey ( which is from cows ) and or hemp protein. Lots of great aminos and omega's in hemp so a double whammy for ADHD - brain and bulk.
You are probably still growing so your metabolism is super quick.This is a good thing for now.
There is tons of info on vegan and vegetarian "lifestyles" on the net .
As you are probably interested in the topic this stuff may hold your focus.
You will develop some really strong arguments for the rentals as to why you don't want to consume meat ,poultry and fish .
Good Luck!

dnobles83
06-23-10, 12:57 PM
Yeah, I was going to give you a lot of the same advice already given. Peanut Butter is a great weight gainer. All of my coaches in school told everyone he thought needed to bulk up to eat 2 tbs of peanut butter with every meal. That will add in the neighborhood of 600 calories a day. You can also get a huge jar of protein powder for 10-15 bucks, but I have found that unless you're really into smoothies or mixing it into hot cereal, like oatmeal, it isn't as versatile as you think it would be. Flax also has a high fat "good fat" content. I am also on Vyvanse and I know what an appetite killer it can be. I haven't eaten since Monday, but I don't need to gain any weight. I'm trying to figure out something I can drink that will keep me from getting malnourished. I don't want to end up toothless like a crackhead or methhead from not eating. So, peanut butter is probably your best bet. Check around the supermarket and buy the one with the most calories per tablespoon. That way, even if you don't want to eat, you can manage to work in a good amount of calories through randomly eating a tablespoon of peanut butter. Since you said you are drinking milk, try adding something to it for added calories. Ovaltine has a lot of added vitamins, but only 80 calories in 4 tbs and lots of people don't care for it. Nesquik has 60 calories in 2 tbs. If your appetite permits you to actually eat, I'd do lots of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with a glass of chocolate milk. I can't imagine anything that would put more weight on you than that being vegetarian, without just outright eating junk food all the time.

As far as your parents, don't listen to these people who are telling you to rebel. As you've said, it just makes your life harder. Hopefully, you can just show your parents that you can be a healthy vegetarian by gaining some weight. If it turns into an argument, I have found that sitting in silence until the other party feels like they are overreacting has been the best strategy I have ever had. It also gives them the impression that you are hearing them out, even if you are just letting it go in one ear and out of the other, which also makes them more inclined to side with you in the long run because at least you have heard what they had to say and have appeared to consider their thoughts and feelings. Staying calm, while sticking to your principles will end up making the other party more inclined to listen to you than being argumentative.

Good luck.

Killface1981
06-25-10, 05:51 AM
Being a vegetarian is difficult when on meds that cause most people to drop weight. You could always supplement two whey protein shakes with L-Glutamine twice a day on top of your regular meals.

How strict of a vegetarian are you? Perhaps you could just eat fish? Protein and weight lifting are the most important factors when trying to gain weight. Carbs, too, if you want to gain weight. I'd still stick to complex carbs(avoid crappy calories.) Whole wheat bread is far healthier and nutrient dense than white bread...

Almonds, natural peanut butter, yogurt, fruit, protein bars, and soy nuts are all good sources for snacks. I'd try Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal, as well. It has tons of fiber, more protein than normal cereal, and is healthy.

Marspider
06-25-10, 07:05 AM
Definitely eat more often, 6 small meals a day. I've found many guys who are leaner can over estimate the amount of food they eat.
One of my exes who is quite lean used to complain that he ate a lot and wasn't gaining any weight. We sat down to a meal and I was eating more than he was. (At the time I was doing lots of martial arts as I was competing and running and ate a lot I didn't have a car and lived in a mountainous area so walked everywhere but burned it off). I often eat more than my leaner male friends.
Or maybe you are eating a lot but really burning it off, as I was doing. Also I wasn't eating a lot of carbs at all. It was an Atkins diet before I even knew who Atkins was (and without all the heartattack inducing bacon). I gain weight eating lots of bread and carbs.

Like people have mentioned, peanut butter is good (I personally despise the stuff).

-Bananas
-Lots of hardboiled eggs. Quick and easy snack.
-Avocados
-Nuts

-Coconut. You can do nice vegetarian curries with coconut milk and it's easy and simple.

-Lentils

You can try malt drink. It's non-alcoholic and made from malt like beer. It's basically beer before it becomes alcoholic.
It's popular in many parts of the world to increase weight (because not everyone is obsessed about keeping thin).
I know it's popular in Germany but in the US, you might find it in immigrant stores like Latin American stores, Caribbean stores, or African stores. A couple of those a day should help.
Malt has lots of B vitamins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malta_(soft_drink)

Marspider
06-25-10, 07:10 AM
Oh, yea there's also the Michael Phelps diet which I wouldn't entirely recommend, especially the bacon but he eats a lot of pasta.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7562840.stm
So eat more pasta. :-)

insight needed
06-25-10, 07:46 AM
Not a lot to add other than make sure that you are using protein shakes as an addition to a meal (or in between meals) not instead of a meal. You can buy a big tub of protein powder (whey based or soy based) in the vitamin area of Walmart or a similar store. I think most people prefer the taste of whey based powder. If you have a blender, use it to mix up the shake 'cause it will make it easier to get rid of the powdery lumps. If you use vanilla, you can also throw in any fruits that you like.

As far as the parents, try to stay out of the argumentative mode--even if they are starting it. Show them that you can "eat healthy" without making a big deal out of it. Download and print out vegetarian recipes and start cooking for yourself if you don't already. You can even make a lot of fattening traditional foods such as macaroni and cheese, vegetable lasagna, grilled cheese sandwiches, pasta dishes, and omelets without having to look specifically at vegetarian recipes.

I wonder if it would work to find out what your Mom is making for dinner and eat the non-meat portion, but prepare your own "protein dish". This could be as simple as some form of beans, couple of veggie burgers, cottage cheese and fruit etc. Be sure to tell your mom how wonderful her mashed potatos are and ask for a double helping!

Regarding your parents threat of sending you to a therapist--I'd call their bluff and ask to go! If you are as level-headed as you sound, and your parents are as over-bearing as they sound, the therapist would probably end up supporting you and helping you to negotiate life with your parents.

Last point, let your parents see you eating healthy food, don't decline meals and sit down at the table with them. If you are going to sit there with a salad as your main course, they'll be all over you like a wet blanket...

12XU
07-09-10, 10:08 AM
I have been a vegeterian through choice since I was 12, I am now almost 28. I weigh 19 stone (266 lbs) It wasn't my intention to weigh this much and I don't know how meds would affect you...but weight on a veg diet shouldn't be hard because its all carb and no protein...

jack4321
03-17-11, 07:09 AM
Vegetarian Foods That can Help Gain Weight are Plant foods rich in proteins:Nuts, peanuts, hazelnuts, walnuts, almonds, pistachios, pecans, Brazil nuts, Seeds, sunflower, pumpkin, Legumes, soya bean, beans, peas, pulses, lentils, Bengal grams, Drumsticks, Cereals.

TroyADD
04-05-11, 12:51 AM
Hi Sam

I didn't honestly read any of the replies so this information might be in some of them. I am also a vegetarian and here are some good, healthy, ways to bring up your weight.

Consider what you put in your body. If you are eating simple sugars, refined flours, and garbage you will feel like crap and that will make you not feel hungry so you will most likely not bring your weight up. Try to eat as many whole and unprocessed foods as possible. Brown rice and black beans for example is a complete protein, add some tomato sauce to it and a bunch of vegetables (carrots, celery, tomato, cucumber) and then .. add a bunch of stuff to raise your weight (in a healthy manner) avocado, cheese, olives for example. Add avocado, olives, olive oil, or peanut butter (real peanut better, not that crap everyone eats) and a moderate amount of cheese to the things that you eat and you will feel MUCH better and also bring your weight up. Also drink milk with your meals, even skim milk. And Bryers ice-cream is a great treat for days when you're really struggling with calories. Honey on whole wheat bread is another great treat.

Mostly you have to get used to the idea that you need to prepare your own food and just take an interest in the things that you eat and in making food that tastes good. There is no reason why you should need to eat meat, it's not going to help you maintain your weight.

I am an endurance athlete and I eat around 5000 calories a day, I struggle with keeping my weight up as well but it can be accomplished if you eat whole and healthy foods. Your body will only be as healthy and strong as what you put into it.

Best of luck and feel free to message me if you need any further ideas.

TroyADD
04-05-11, 01:02 AM
I have been a vegeterian through choice since I was 12, I am now almost 28. I weigh 19 stone (266 lbs) It wasn't my intention to weigh this much and I don't know how meds would affect you...but weight on a veg diet shouldn't be hard because its all carb and no protein...

This is only true if you eat junky foods. There is plenty of protein in vegetarian meals, milk is an excellent source and black beans with brown rice is a complete protein. Nuts are also full of protein. If you eat whole foods instead of processed, starchy, pre-packaged meals you will find that your body takes care of itself. If you drink soda pop and eat refined sugar and flour with a side of high fructose corn syrup then, if you are like most people and not like the OP, you will always feel hungry and want to eat more because you're not getting any energy from your diet and your blood sugar is all over the place.

I can relate with the original poster though because I was always the skinny kid who had trouble keeping his weight up. The more junky food I ate the less hungry I was, kind of paradoxical. Around the time I hit 25 years of age however that all started to change and with my terrible eating habits I gained a lot of weight. At that time I started taking note of all the strange chemicals, preservatives, and refined (no nutritional value) foods that I was eating and I changed my eating habits. If you prepare your own food and use vegetables and whole grains you will find that you always feel full and feeling full is just the right amount that your body needs. If you eat foods with little nutritional value you will likely always be hungry. Check out some whole foods books and give it a try for a week, you will notice a big difference in the way you feel and how your body reacts.

Conman
05-26-11, 01:36 PM
ok, this is my primary health concern. im on adderall xr 30mg (im going to change back to ir before school starts), and i my appetite if bad now. normally i eat like a bottomless pit, and because im so ungodly hyper and active x high metabolism, i actually burn off all the junkfood i eat. back to main problem, did a tangent again. but i used to be 130 in my prime (in weight), but now im like 111. i do work out daily at the gym, i do protein shakes with the whey stuff, and my brother is going to help me help myself by eating healthier. but i remember one week last year on vacation i gained 10 pounds, due to eating my family's food so well. i was so happy. but now i need more weight, im 111 and 5'8-5'9. Thats really underweight for my height. help?

yellower
06-13-11, 04:58 PM
If I were to start using creatine while Iím already using whey protein, bsn syntha 6 (http://www.enutriments.com/bsn-syntha-6) to be exact, what creatine would you recommend using? Is there a specific one that you prefer over others?

renka
07-06-11, 12:08 AM
Maybe some supplements? (I don't know what kind of supplements because I'm always trying to lose weight, but they got to exist).

Someone mentioned Brazil nuts. They're rich in selenium AND calories, but you could mix other nuts too. Everyone is talking about protein, but I would rather go on carbs. They give you energy and as a vegetarian, you can relax and enjoy them.

carolino
10-05-11, 01:28 AM
Hi
i read your post you should increase your calories intake besides taking medicine and vegetable diet i.e you can take weight gaining supplement like mega mass or serious mass which have high calories in it.try to eat good and exercise regularly and daily.
regards.

DenverHero
02-15-12, 02:29 PM
This is great! Sorry, not that your having trouble gaining weight is great. I love seeing all the recommendations above, as I have the same problem. Not sure I can add anything of value beyond whats already been said, except that I found a pill my friend was taking for the same thing and he said its working great. Its called Hunger Blitz. Anyone heard of it? I ordered a bottle myself the other day. I'm excited to try it myself! I will try and update with results when I get it. I just wanted to see if anyone else had heard of it before?

spunkysmum
02-16-12, 03:31 AM
What are your reasons for being a vegetarian? Are they health-related?

Driver
02-16-12, 03:48 AM
Just eat lots of refined carbs and sugars, it'll spike your insulin which will then inhibit your glucose uptake and you'll start stacking on the weight. It's why most Westerners are so fat and borderline diabetic.

sarahsweets
02-16-12, 10:34 AM
There is no need to take non vegetarian food to gain weight. Vegetarian food is best for health & there are many products which keeps you fit. It is must to be fit & active, healthy, not to gain weight.

If someone is underweight then its reasonable they would try and figure out a way to gain weight. Its not always unhealthy to want to gain weight just so long as you're not doing it via McDonalds.

CheekyMonkey
02-16-12, 11:38 AM
Mung Bean noodles are super calorie-packed.

Fuzzy12
02-16-12, 08:36 PM
I'm a vegetarian and I'm not sure why you wouldn't be able to gain weight on a veggie diet. (Sigh..:rolleyes:) I agree, I don't think junk food is the way to go even if you want to put on weight. I guess lots of complex carbs and proteins might help.

Veggie food with high protein content: Eggs, pulses, beans, tofu, quorn, dairy

Do you do any exercise? Maybe some strength training would help to gain some muscle mass.

sleepchild
03-16-12, 08:53 PM
My aunt is always craving avocados. She has this whole crate of it and she eats 1-2 a day. Then she had to stop eating it because she was noticeably gaining weight from it.
Also from my observations of family members, the rice fanatics are the ones who have trouble with their weight (e.g. cousin eats 1 and 1/2 cups of rice a day and struggles with weight issues, same with sisters, but I dislike rice but eat a bunch of other things and I'm the only skinny person in my family.) Makes sense rice is the culprit. :P

Fuzzy12
03-16-12, 09:04 PM
My aunt is always craving avocados. She has this whole crate of it and she eats 1-2 a day. Then she had to stop eating it because she was noticeably gaining weight from it.
Also from my observations of family members, the rice fanatics are the ones who have trouble with their weight (e.g. cousin eats 1 and 1/2 cups of rice a day and struggles with weight issues, same with sisters, but I dislike rice but eat a bunch of other things and I'm the only skinny person in my family.) Makes sense rice is the culprit. :P

Avocados are brilliant (especially if don't have to worry about losing weight). They are highly nutritious!!

Rice is high in carbs and white rice is quite low in nutrients as well. White rice is also supposed to have a high glycemic index though it's controversial if the GI really makes a difference. Anyway, brown rice has a lower GI and much more nutrients.

Driver
03-16-12, 09:04 PM

White rice is just refined carbs, so if they're eating lots of carbs (1/2 cup of rice is one serving, so they're eating 3 serves), they're spiking their insulin levels.

Linda Watson
04-10-12, 04:41 AM
Hi,
Try to eat food which is rich in carbohydrates. Daily prefer atleast two bananas and if you have time go for gym.Hi guys! Earlier this year, I (a 16-year old male) was placed on 30 mg of Vyvanse for my Inattentive-Type A.D.H.D. (duh), weighing about 121 pounds and being about 5'7" tall. It's quite underweight for my height, but not at a level that would merit concern, since lankiness is quite prevalent on both sides of my family and I still eat normally.

After a month, I had lost about 3 pounds and my dosage was upped to 50 mg. At around this time, I had also convinced my parents to let me become a vegetarian (I'd been wanting to be one since I was six, but my parents kept changing their minds as to when I could become one and I finally confronted them about it). However, after another month had passed, my weight had dropped about 5 pounds, still my doctor upped my dose to 70 mg because I still wasn't really feeling any effect of the medications. During this time, I'd had dry mouth and loss of appetite, and a month later, I had lost another 8 pounds or so, bringing my weight down to 104 pounds and prompting my doctor to change my prescription to 50 mg in the morning and 20 in the afternoon. This stopped the side effects that (I thought) had caused such a huge loss in weight, but my parents decided that I could not continue being a vegetarian if I did not bring up my weight to a level they found sufficient by the time of my next appointment in a month. At the end of that month (last Wednesday), my weight had only gone up by 3 pounds, even though my parents bought various snack foods for me in an effort to boost my weight. This means that, in addition to looking nearly emaciated, I can't be a vegetarian any longer. Neither of these facts is pleasing to me. Can anyone give me advice (ANY AT ALL) on how to bring my weight up (and keep it up) that would comply with a vegetarian diet? I don't really want to gain all the weight and lose it all once I go off the vegetarian diet again.

So basically, if you didn't really understand or just didn't feel like reading that, I've lost a ton of weight as a combined result of Vyvanse and a vegetarian diet, and I need ways to help bring it up that are vegetarian-friendly (though eggs are fine). And before you say "eat a lot of junk food;" it doesn't work. I've tried.

-Sam :)

Jesus89
04-12-12, 01:06 PM
Great to know but I just need a little bit explanation of the "However, after another month had passed, my weight had dropped about 5 pounds, still my doctor upped my dose to 70 mg because I still wasn't really feeling any effect of the medications." plz help!

Spartan_Worrier
04-24-13, 12:52 AM
Drink milk. Lots and lots of it. A gallon a day if you must. And look up Mark Rippetoe's starting strength to bulk up right. You wanna increase muscle not fat.

Twiggy
04-24-13, 01:35 AM
Eat: Avocados, Coconut milk, Coconut butter, Nut butters, Potatoes, Nuts, Bread, Rice, Bananas, Trail mix, Granola Cereal.
These foods will help put on weight.

A jelly sandwich with a nut butter is an easy one.

BellaVita
04-24-13, 01:51 AM
Eat a TON of bagel bites.

Oregon
06-05-13, 04:01 PM
This might be a little bit extreme, but when I was in the bulking phase of weight lifting, I was drinking protein shakes that had 1250 calories. Two scoops = 1250 calories. There are only 4-6g of fat, but still, that's a LOT of calories if you're serious about gaining some weight. 50g of protein isn't a lot if you're trying to build muscle, but it may help maintain some of your lean muscle if you're little.

I won't post links mainly because I'm not sure if it's allowed, but look up "mass gainer protein shakes". I personally liked the Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass, and it was cheap too. Most GNC stores will carry this brand, or you could check online.

When my cousin started taking his medication, he lost about 40 lbs in 3 months, and I asked his wife to look into these shakes. It brought his weight back up quickly. I'm not trying to sound like I'm advertising (I'm really not), but she basically made him drink one of these a day (1250 cals) because she knew he would only nibble on food on and off the rest of the day with no real meals in between. It helped him maintain his weight because he would literally eat almost nothing the rest of the day. He seemed able to get a shake in his system, and at least in this situation he only needed to nibble to make up the calorie difference.