View Full Version : being a vegetarian a pro or con to my ADD-I?

musicpainter
11-25-09, 04:34 AM
I have been a vegetarian for about 5-6 years now. It was 50% for animal-rights reasons and 50% because I hate the taste/texture of red meat and only really liked turkey on sandwiches. I never really thought of it in a health way, or how it could be affecting my mood and all that.

I have had my food allergies tested but choose to ignore that I should be a gluten-free vegan because I can't live without the occasional milk chocolate and whole-wheat bread, and other tasty foods with milk and gluten but I do try to limit my consumption even though they don't really affect me like they do some. And I have some intolerances to any sort of peppers and onions. And in all honesty, I'm a picky eater on top of all this.

I keep seeing things about vitamin B-12 and know that when tested for food allergies, the naturopath checked a bunch of other stuff and my B-12 levels were low. I ended up giving myself daily injections to boost my levels, but after a while I couldn't deal with sticking a needle in my arm every morning. I've tried it in vitamin form but don't know if it helps any. I also have some fish oils but after getting home, I noticed the bottle said it contains fish (that may seem really stupid to realize, but I had some vegetarian ones before and don't remember where I got them) and the idea of swallowing a fish pill doesn't sit well with me so I have been staring at the bottle for months now hoping that today will be the day I open it.

I tried looking this up but got no answers that helped. Is my being a vegetarian benefiting or is it making my symptoms worse?

If it's making it worse, what should I be adding on top of my medicine (Adderall and Lexapro) to make sure I'm getting everything I need to help myself?

Song of Mercy
11-26-09, 11:15 AM
Hi MusicPainter,

As to the fish oil, I realize that fish oil is supposed to be superior to flax oil, but so what? I am a vegan and I do not do fish, so I supplement with a bit of flax seed oil. I am not sure if it helps or not, but I do know that I am feeling pretty good these days. Also, as to the B12 thing, Walmart now carries a very inexpensive sublinguil b supplement that has b12 in it. Me and the kids take 1/2 the recommended dose once daily. It says that it contains like 250% of the vitamin in the recommended dose and all the extra is hard on the internal organs...so, no thanks :).

My experience with this diet is that it only works if you can get your focus off of food. As I am becoming better at eating to live instead of living to eat I am having an easier time.

Good Luck!

Song

trishcan
11-26-09, 02:10 PM
My biggest concern with a vegetarian diet would be making sure you are getting plenty of protien. Protien seems to be an important component in helping stimulant medication work effectively, so as long as you have that covered, I wouldn't think there should be any major issues.

It might help to consult a nutritionist along with your prescribing physician to make sure you aren't overlooking anything else.

musicpainter
11-26-09, 02:44 PM
I always worry I don't get enough protein. I try and eat nuts and seeds when I can. And I sometimes have a veggie meat substitute or tofu that has a little in it.

As to the fish oil, I wanted that because I know it can help with my depression (what the naturopath I saw for a little while gave it to me for) and some other things and I've seen it mentioned around here a little. I might try it and see or try and find the ones I used to have that were vegetarian fish oil supplements (how, I don't know).

Thanks guys.

Mincan
11-26-09, 03:13 PM
Low carb diets are better for mental illnesses according to common knowledge, FWTW.