View Full Version : What's a good mood stabilizer?

Arei
11-28-09, 06:23 PM
Looks like I'm going to be trying out some of these to help with my irritability. I can no longer take anti depressents, I took Wellbutrin and Lexapro for a couple of years and when I tried to restart them they made me sick (and they werent benefital to me in the first place... yet I kept taking them >_>) and Cymbalta was terrible.

I tried Abilify but it made me even more irritable. Is there a mood stabilizer that helps decrease irritability without sedation?

trishcan
11-29-09, 12:33 AM
I took topamax for a few years in my late teens. It wasn't sedating in the least, for me.

Trooper Keith
11-29-09, 12:49 AM
Are you manic or depressed? That determines first line antiepileptic. If you're manic, which your "irritability" sounds like, then lithium is bar none the best mood stabilizer. Depakote is next in line, if you don't want to deal with the blood tests.

If you're depressed, which could also cause irritability, then Lamictal is the best bet.

chips
11-29-09, 12:57 AM
I'll be starting on 25mg Epilim (sodium valproate) tomorrow & then start on dexamphetamine sulphate on Friday (depending on how long to get the script sent through).

The reason for taking the low dose of Epilim is to take off the edgy, prickly, irritated feeling that I might experience with the dex.

From what I have read these two drugs work very well together but I can't say for myself as yet how well they will work for me.

I will keep you posted as to how it works.

blahhh
12-05-09, 12:24 AM
I agree with KMiller. Lithium is a very effective form of mood stabilizer. The only issue is that Lithium has some very adverse side effects. The other thing is Lithium can kinda make you zombie-ish (if that makes sense).

I have been on Lithium, Depakote, and currently am on Lamictal. I had great success when I was taking Depakote and the Lamictal is working now.

Seroquel also has some mood stablizing qualities but it is very sedating so if you are able to sleep at night, I wouldn't recommend it!

CrazyLazyGal
01-15-10, 12:58 AM
I've had really good results with a combination of Lamictal (300mg) and Celexa (20mg). My mood has stabilized so much. I'm still moodier than the average person, but I'm no longer experiencing bipolar episodes and suicidal depressive episodes. I only had very mild side effects going on it, maybe because I built up to the dose very slowly.

ahcanuck
04-24-10, 07:15 AM
Lamotrigine works well for me to control my anxiety. I don't have bi-polar disorder but it seemed to fix my depression too.

mattyg
05-08-10, 06:58 PM
Yes there is.....Its called Lithium carbonate....

EshkaronsEngine
05-08-10, 07:13 PM
I take lithium. It also works great for depression. Just make sure to drink plenty of water.

quirkyscrawler
08-14-10, 02:21 PM
Lamotrigine works well for me to control my anxiety. I don't have bi-polar disorder but it seemed to fix my depression too.

What dosage did you have to reach with the Lamictal before it had a therapeutic effect? I just titrated up to 100mg a day (50 in the am and 50 in the pm), and I don't feel a whole lot of difference yet. I think I might have to wait till I reach 200mg.

quirkyscrawler
09-06-10, 04:17 PM
Okay, I hit the 200mg/day dosage. I find that it lifts my mood, but I actually take it in the late afternoon/early evening, because when I split it up into AM/PM, I was experiencing some tiredness...although I don't know if it had to do with the Lamictal or not. (Strange how the time of day makes a difference - then again, it's mainly in the evenings that I feel moody.) I think Lamictal can be a good mood stabilizer (although I don't actually have Bipolar disorder), but you can experience some side effects titrating up on it. They come and go though.

However, I've noticed a decrease in my Adderall efficacy upon taking Lamictal, and I don't know if this is a coincidence, or if the cognitive effects of Lamictal changes the way I experience Adderall, or if it has something to do with the antipsychotic that I'm on (perphenazine - 8mg at bedtime), or if I'm just building a tolerance to the Adderall. It's hard to say, and the docs don't always give straight answers.