View Full Version : Question about Citralopam

Tomlehmann
12-01-09, 04:11 PM
Hi everyone! So I have been on Lexapro 10 mg for 3 weeks now and I feel great. Better than I have in years. No anxiety or panic attacks anymore. I was using sample packs my doc gave me.

So I went to get my prescription filled for the first time and now the insurance company will only give me Citralopam. I understand it is very similar but I am worried now. What are the differences? Will I withdraw from the Lexapro? Will I feel bad for 2-3 weeks again before it starts working for me, if it does? Uhhh so frustrating. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The pharm said they were two completely different drugs, while my Docs office said I shouldn't notice a difference? Any advice, help?
Thanks

hollywood
12-16-09, 03:29 PM
that stuff made me feel like garbage.. we are all different though.

wairoa777
02-01-10, 09:02 PM
I take citalopram and it works well for me. I am also on Abilify. Unfortuneatly one or maybe it is a combination of the two have almost reduced the positive effects of the Dex to nothing. Hopefully, when I see my therapist next week she will be able to figure things out.

Again citalopram has worked well for my mania.

MettaNurse
03-08-10, 10:44 AM
It is wonderful to hear you are responding so well.

As far as withdraw and effectiveness, you shouldn't notice any problems going between one or the other since they share the same active ingredient; the difference between them is simply that good'ol citalopram has the S and R isomers (chemical handedness) whereas Lexapro is purified to have only the S isomer (the active one).

There is research suggesting less side effects with Lex. and the impact the R isomer has on reducing the effects of the S isomer for cit. , but if you convert the dosage for 2x the Lex. amount you should get a rough equivalent (10 mg Lex = 20 mg cit)

mcalliw
03-15-10, 02:05 PM
If the comments above mean that there are no new effects then you should be OK.

If not the the potential side effects of Citalopram are many and various, and they affect different people in different ways. Be prepared for increased anxiety for a short while if there is something in there new to you.

weareacc
03-15-10, 02:15 PM
If the comments above mean that there are no new effects then you should be OK.

If not the the potential side effects of Citalopram are many and various, and they affect different people in different ways. Be prepared for increased anxiety for a short while if there is something in there new to you.

+1 Bodies are sensitive objects. Citalopram worked for me but it was a bit nasty to start with. Changing from Lexapro should mean you are less likely to notice anything tho IMO.