View Full Version : Well day one on Ritalin for 6 yr old daughter...

JanisMomto2
12-01-09, 10:34 PM
The results weren't as wonderful as I hoped darn it! :( The teacher said she still needed her "school tools" and didn't really notice any difference today (her teacher is awesome and we are very much in this "trying meds" thing together). She said she had an awesome recess with her friends, playing well and the other girls including her in their play (yay!)

I'm wondering how long it takes to see results?? I thought Ritalin was pretty much an immediate "you know if it works". Could it take weeks to see results?? She is on 10mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon...I'm wondering if maybe she needs more.

As a side note, lmao, after 30 mins of trying the first dose she was cleaning up her room (her room is normally a STYE!!!) and was like chatty Cathy "I'm going to keep my room like this ALWAYS Mommy!!" and "have a great day at work Mommy and I will see you when you get home!!" OMG I thought "this is the bestest drug EVER!!!" LOL!

Sometimes
12-02-09, 03:17 AM
I'm wondering how long it takes to see results?? I thought Ritalin was pretty much an immediate "you know if it works". Could it take weeks to see results?? She is on 10mg in the morning and 5mg in the afternoon...I'm wondering if maybe she needs more.

It does start working as soon as you take it but as for results it would be no surprise if it took a couple visits to the doctor to get the dose just right for your particular child.
I've been on it for 3 months and although it helps a ton I can tell Im still not dialed in to the "perfect" dose.

It is great to hear the other kids are playing with her though. So important for kids!

Vickie
12-02-09, 12:38 PM
Sounds like a good start. The meds are usually started low to watch for side effects and then increased to the effective dose. Then as your daughter's needs change (after school activities, driving, job), they may need further adjustments.

MGDAD
12-02-09, 02:19 PM
I would stick with the low dose for a while, till you get a good handle on how the med affects her. Like maybe a week or two. Then up the dose if you think she needs it. Dont go up too quickly.

daveddd
12-16-09, 09:14 AM
As a side note, lmao, after 30 mins of trying the first dose she was cleaning up her room (her room is normally a STYE!!!) and was like chatty Cathy "I'm going to keep my room like this ALWAYS Mommy!!" and "have a great day at work Mommy and I will see you when you get home!!" OMG I thought "this is the bestest drug EVER!!!" LOL!

that is exactly how my nt wife gets if she sneaks one of my adderralls to clean the house, she reminds me of a speed freak