View Full Version : L-Tyrosine

dude102
12-02-09, 07:26 PM
So i'm thinking about adding L-Tyrosine to my daily vitamin intake along with vitamin b and fish oil, has anyone had success with this? How does L-Tyrosine work compared to vitamin B and fish oil?

Joker_Girl
12-02-09, 08:12 PM
I have heard really good things about this, too, but haven't been able to find it in Walgreens, Walmart, K-mart etc. I would like to try it.

Driver
12-03-09, 01:20 AM
L-Tyrosine is the amino acid building block that the body uses in the production of (among others) dopamine, norepinephrine, adrenaline, and the thyroid hormones.

Taking a supplement of Tyrosine ensures the body has a ready supply on hand when it needs to create the aforementioned neurotransmitters. During normal circumstances, you won't notice any mood improvement. It's only beneficial during times when the body is under some form of stress.

dude102
12-03-09, 02:20 AM
Are there any side effects or tolerance issues?

Driver
12-03-09, 02:31 AM
Nope.

dude102
12-03-09, 01:24 PM
I heard B complex helps generate dopamine while tyrosine a precursor of dopamine, so if this is true wouldn't b complex work well with tyrosine?

Driver
12-03-09, 07:40 PM
Probably.

bookwurm2
12-04-09, 01:33 AM
I've used L-Tyrosine for stress and it worked for that, but it didn't do anything for ADHD in me. But that doesn't mean it won't work in other people.

trishcan
12-04-09, 01:35 AM
So... would this be a logical solution to women who find medication not working at all during PMS? Not looking for a medical opinion, but just speculation within reason.

Plethos
12-04-09, 08:47 AM
You need both Tyrosine and Tyrosine-Hydroxylase to make Dopamine. Tyrosine-Hydroxylase is the rate limiting factor (the thing we generally have less of) and the only supplement you can take for that is NADH. It is possible to have a Tyrosine deficiency, but then you will have trouble tanning in the sun (making melanin) and probably have a buildup of Phenylalinine (causing Phenylkueria).

Even if taking NADH to boost dopamine levels, the dopamine system is more complex than just that. You still have to consider the dopamine transporters and the dopamine receptors. The only way to work with the transporters is through stimulants such as caffiene, amphetamines, or methylphenidate (the most effective ones being illegal without a prescription due to possibility of abuse.) The only way to work with the receptors is through dopamine agonists such as the various anti-Parkinson's drugs (and maybe Citicoline.)

Plethos
12-04-09, 09:13 AM
Also, B6 is needed to make norepinephrine from Dopamine. Norepinephrine mainly helps you focus and is what Strattera works solely on. I'm not sure about the side effects of raising dopamine through supps other than to say you'd be increasing dopamine throughout your body, not just cerebrally. Raised body levels of dopamine can be bad for the cardiovascular system. Tyrosine is illegal without a prescription in some countries.

steven d
12-04-09, 06:17 PM
I just found out that niacin (vitamin b3) is a precursor of NADH. Would taking niacin promote the production of NADH?

Also I found out that using krill oil and PS/ PC actually promotes dopamine release (in theory) from the neuron vesicles. Maybe combining all these dopamine stimulating drugs would have wonderful effects?

I mean; Let's use Niacin, vitamin b complex, l-tyrosine, krill oil, PS/ PC/ lecithin all together and see what the effect is of taking all these supplements together.

Here check out this text:

I have a new idea about why krill oil + PS isn't working anymore.

When neurons are stimulated, they release dopamine from the vesicles. The krill oil + PS made extra dopamine release from the vesicles, but in time the vesicles are depleted.

Amphetamines work different; they inhibit the reuptake or destruction of dopamine (not working on release), so they work independent of the dopamine storage. This is why I never had tolerance on these 2 compounds.

Vitamin B complex and precursors such as l-tyrosine work yet different, they stimulate the production of dopamine. If the production of dopamine is increased, more can be released too. This is why I will try using vitamin b complex together with krill oil and also add l-tyrosine.

In other words; I have to find something that increases dopamine production so that more can be released as well (more in = more out).<!--QuoteEnd-->

A part of this scientific article shows what I am thinking about:

http://www.tbiomed.com/content/6/1/21 (http://www.tbiomed.com/content/6/1/21)

G. The effect of single action potentials and bursts
It is known [3,4] that there are two typical firing patterns seen in the dopaminergic neurons of the SNc, tonic firing at about 5 Hz and bursts of action potentials with an intraburst frequency of about 15-30 Hz. Dopaminergic neurons respond to reward-related stimuli with increased burst firing [8,79] and burst firing is more effective at raising dopamine levels than tonic firing [80,45]. Recently bursts have been measured in awake, freely-moving animals [81,47,82] in response to rewards and in response to cues for the rewards when the cues have been learned; for a review, see [83].

We see in our model responses that quite similar to those observed experimentally. Panel A of Figure 10 shows the time course of extracellular dopamine in response to steady firing at 5 Hz. All extra dopamine is cleared from the extracellular space before the next action potential arrives as reported in [76]. Note that on this short time scale cytosolic dopamine and vesicular dopamine remain approximately constant. However, Panel B shows that a burst of action potentials at 15 Hz causes a substantial rise in average eda [76]. The model results shown in Figure 10 are similar to the model and experimental results reported in [82], figure 2. Thus, even a very short term shift from tonic firing at 5 Hz to burst firing at 15 Hz produces a large dopamine signal. This shows how sensitive the system is to a brief short-term change in frequency of firing.

Figure 10:

http://www.tbiomed.com/content/6/1/21/figure/F10 (http://www.tbiomed.com/content/6/1/21/figure/F10)

Bursts increase extracellular dopamine. Panel A shows the eda concentration as a function of time when the tonic firing rate is 5 Hz. The eda from the previous action potential is cleared from the extracellular space before the next action potential arrives. Notice that vesicular dopamine and cytosolic dopamine are not noticeably affected on this short time scale. Panel B shows that a short burst of action potentials at 15 Hz raises extracellular dopamine dramatically during the burst. Even a very short term change from tonic firing at 5 Hz to burst firing at 15 Hz produces a large dopamine signal.

However, if firing continues for a long time at 15 Hz, the feedback on TH via the autoreceptors will cause eda to decline to an intermediate level, higher than normal but not as high as the short term response. The inhibition of TH (TH = Tyrosine hydroxylase?) by increased binding to the autoreceptors happens quickly, but the resulting decrease in cda and vda happens slowly over a nine hour period (Figure 11), and this causes a gradual decrease in eda even though the firing rate remains elevated. Thus, over the long term, the eda concentration gradually habituates to the increased firing rate. It would be interesting to test this prediction of the model experimentally.

Figure 11:

http://www.tbiomed.com/content/6/1/21/figure/F11 (http://www.tbiomed.com/content/6/1/21/figure/F11)

Habituation to increased firing. At one hour, the firing rate of the neuron is increased from 5 Hz to 15 Hz and eda immediately triples. Then eda gradually decreases to an intermediate value since the increased binding of eda to the autoreceptors inhibits TH and this causes a gradual decline in vesicular dopamine over a nine hour period. Thus the level of eda habituates to the increased firing rate.

So I have to find something to restore (stimulate/ increase) the "Tyrosine hydroxylase" so that more dopamine will be in the vesicles. Or perhaps take l-dopa because it's one step after the TH in dopamine synthesis?

Remember how krill oil+PS was suppost to work:

The brain cells membrane is made of fat. One of these fats is phosphatidyl serine. Krill oil has DHA/EPA connected to phosphatidyl choline. This works as an anchor and enables more phosphatidyl serine to anchor to the cell membrane. More phosphatidyl serine improves the brain electral conduction and makes the electrical signals stronger, causing more neurotransmitters to be released. Something like that...

Tabitha Leilah
12-08-09, 08:00 AM
How much L-Tyrosine can be safely taken without it generating any harmful side effects?I am a physically healthy 20 year old male who's taking the supplement for Neurotransmitter Depletion. It's working, but I may need to up the dose for a short period of time.

APSJ
12-11-09, 05:22 PM
I started taking l-tyrosine this week to see if it would help with the 'crash' i get when my methylphenidate wears off. It definitely seems to help, and I've been trying to figure out what dosage and timing works best.

Monday night, I didn't really experience any 'crash' after taking approximately 250 mg of it in the afternoon prior to when my last dose of medication wore off. However, I found it somewhat harder to sleep.

Tuesday, I took 500 mg somewhat earlier, and I did experience a crash, but it was much milder than what I usually experience, and much later in the evening, and again had more trouble than usual getting to sleep.

Wednesday, I forgot to take a dose of medication on time in the middle of the day, and again took 500 mg of tyrosine closer to the beginning of when my last med dose was in effect. It wasn't a pleasant day, but it never is when I forget to take a dose of meds on time, and it did seem better than usual.

Thursday, I took 500 mg, about an hour before my last dose of medication normally wears off, and again, had a much better evening than I usually do.

There were a number of factors that might have interfered with this week being a good indicator of what works best for me, including a varying degree of sleep deprivation and stressful events, as well as forgetting to take my meds on time on Wednesday. However, based just on these four days, the two when I took it later were better than the two when I took it earlier. Also, the one day when I took 250 mg was better than the three when I took 500 mg. The latter is somewhat puzzling particularly since, from what I've read, people usually use anywhere from 500-1500 mg.

I'm wondering if anyone else uses this with medication, to help with the withdrawal symptoms? I'm particularly interested in learning how best to time the tyrosine with the medication so as to minimize insomnia and maximize the positive effects. Does anyone have a good sense of how long the effects tend to last?

Driver
12-12-09, 12:39 AM
Recommended dosage for L-Tyrosine is 500mg, twice a day.

Joker_Girl
12-13-09, 01:11 AM
Yay!

I got some of this at GNC this past week, and I really think it is helping!! Of course, maybe it is all in my head. But it seems to me like it is helping! I am taking 500 mg with my morning and afternoon med (Ritalin 20 mg IR) and it seems like how I usually get tired about 4 hours after my med....I am not having a crash from it as bad! It's wonderful. Hopefully it will continue to help. It seems like it helps the Ritalin to last longer.

This could be due to some sort of placebo effect, so will keep doing this for awhile to be sure. If so, it will be awesome.

I take a super-B complex vitamin in the morning also, as well as a multivitamin.

Today I took my meds as usual even though I often take weekends off, so I could kind of monitor it.

8 am: Meds as usual, with water.

9 am: Awake, calm.

11 am: Ritalin still seemed to be working, a bit hungry (unusual as it usually kills my appetite) but not that odd as I haven't eaten since the previous noon

1 pm: VERY hungry, my stomach was really growling! Ate a normal lunch. Had hoped to hold off until after 2nd dose.

2 pm: Took 2nd dose of Ritalin and Tyrosine.

11 pm: I THINK (I'm sure it has) Ritalin has wore off for the most part, but I have not gotten sleepy like I often do, and it has not been obvious that it is all worn off.

Hopeful that this will continue to work, preventing a crash, and that it isn't just my imagination, which it might be.

So far.....results promising, for me anyhow. :)

Joker_Girl
12-17-09, 12:26 AM
Ok, I am absolutely POSITIVE this is helping! I am not having any crash that I notice at all, even after 8+ hours since taking my med.

I don't know WHY, I know this is found in food and unless a person is deficient in it, it shouldn't make any difference. But I am like 95% certain that it is helping! Maybe I was deficient in it.

dude102
12-17-09, 12:39 AM
I heard that amino acids sometimes build tolerance so I'm hesitant to try this out... let me know how this goes. You should also find more information about this, something about messing around with amino acids doesn't feel right anymore...

bookwurm2
12-17-09, 02:51 AM
I'ved used L-Tyrosine in the past. For best results with L-Tyrosine, take it with a little B-6 and on an empty stomache with only water.

APSJ
01-04-10, 11:50 PM
An update to my last post in this thread:

I took l-tyrosine for two weeks to help with the medication crash I experience, and once I got the timing and dosage right, which for me seemed to be 250 mg an hour after my last dose, it seemed to essentially eliminate the withdrawal symptoms I've always gotten.

It may have nothing to do with the tyrosine, but I also started to become depressed within two days of starting to take it, and it got progressively worse as I continued. By the middle of the second week, I was more depressed than I'd been since I stopped taking antidepressants about 8 years ago. I stopped the tyrosine, and within a few days, the depression was largely gone.

I haven't read anything to suggest that l-tyrosine can cause depression. Actually, everything I've read suggests that, if anything, it can help with depression, so it's entirely possible that it was a coincidence that these two things coincided for me. On the other hand, it did serve as a reminder that experimenting with supplements can amount to messing with one's neurotransmitters somewhat blindly, given the dearth of good studies. The only way I'll know whether it made me depressed is to start taking it again, which I may, since it was by far the most effective thing I've tried to deal with the med side effects, but I can't say the prospect is appealing.

The ADHD Fan
02-11-10, 10:55 PM
I think the jury's still out with regards to tyrosine. I know from a number of individual testimonies (including many on this forum) that tyrosine treatment can be very useful, but from what I've read in the literature, the results are often pretty short-lived (often only a couple of weeks), until the body develops "tolerance" and "readjusts". If we do go the tyrosine route, it's important to note that a number of enzymes are required for its metabolism. These enzymes often require important vitamin and mineral "co-factors" to operate properly. Among these are:

Vitamin C
Vitamin B6 (pyridoxal phosphate)
Iron
Magnesium
Zinc
Copper
Vitamin B12 (to combat homocysteine buildup, which can occur if high levels of tyrosine are present)
folic acid aka vitamin B9 (namely folate)
niacin (vitamin B3)
potassium
Adequate overall antioxidant intake

I wouldn't go overboard or "mega-supplement" with these, but I think that if we supplement with tyrosine, we should stack the deck in our favor and make sure we're at least covering the RDA levels of the above nutrients (there may be a few others which I might be missing, but I think I listed all the major ones). This should help us get the most out of our tyrosine by ensuring that all major metabolic steps are covered.

Finally, really watch for "competing" amino acids such as tryptophan, leucine, valine and isoleucine. The same transporters which shuttle tyrosine into the brain also shuttle these in, so essentially these are in competition with tyrosine. High levels of these could possible reduce the relative tyrosine concentration and limit its effectiveness. Many of these competing ones (especially tryptophan) are found in foods such as milk or legumes (peanuts, chick peas, etc.), so maybe avoid the milk and branched chain amino acid protein powders around tyrosine supplement time.

These are all important amino acids, so don't avoid them altogether, just try to avoid taking them around the same time as tyrosine (within say, a 2 hour window).

Finally, try to avoid an overall protein deficiency. From what I've read, if we're in a protein-deprived mode, the body will use the tyrosine supplements more to offset the protein deficiency, and less of it will get converted to the desired catecholamines (dopamine, norepinephrine, etc.). Again, taking in adequate protein throughout the day (but maybe not alongside the tyrosine, especially if it's rich in some of the other amino acids listed above) would likely help us with tyrosine supplementation.

kimmyh51
05-18-12, 10:24 AM
I have been taking large doses of l-tyrosine for the last week and a bit and I cant believe how marvellous the stuff is! Its like a miracle pill. I had tried it before in recommended amounts and found some benefit but wondered if placebo. but after reading about good results in higher amounts i brought some and knocked back 3 tablets (500mg each so 1.5g)

then about an hour or so later took my next dose of my adhd meds, which i have a huge tolerance to and have felt pretty much ineffective even if i take ahigher dose than prescribed. In fact Ive taken more than 2x the dose (and i am on a very high dose already with minimal effects

anyway took my normal dose and an hour or so later - WOO HOO! I was bzzing, it was like the first tiem id ever taken amphetamine when first diagnosed - except better - myu mood was great, i was positive chatty, happy as a clam, motivated. Been continuing this for the last week with similar effects.I am now taking about 9 + - tyrosine a day (and a lot less stimulants). I noticed it also makes stuff like caffene much more effective - and when taking tyrosine and caffene together i get a quite euphoric happy buzz that no amount of caffene would give me normally - on a small dose of caffene (ie small weak cup of tea) and no jitters. My mood when the last dose of adhd meds for the day wears off is better, and at work this week I have been doing some software development in a language that is totally new to me, and it felt like it was english or something - it was just SO easy!
I actually googled it tonight thinking to feel this good it must have side effects =- but cant find any evidence of any - and instead found out it will also possibly make me lose weight (has def cut my appetite and sugar cravings thta i had disappeared totally straight away), improve my skin, and in summer make me tan faster and less likely to get melanomia.

It really does feel like the miracle pill right now. So I thoroughly recommend anyone who needs any of the above - especially anyone whos medication has stopped being effective - give it a try. If you do, seriously - do NOT take a high dose of your adhd meds - take the minimum dose that would have any effect at all, as if you get the results i did you will find that it honestly - woudl probably have increased my adhd meds effectiveness to about 3 x what it is maybe more even. I am thrilled with the results from this. I also just generally feel much better all around, it feels like this may be addressing the root cause of much of my adhd synptoms in a way the meds dont really. I think it gives the meds the fuel they need to do their job really really well.

zeppelin931
05-18-12, 01:40 PM
I have been taking large doses of l-tyrosine for the last week and a bit and I cant believe how marvellous the stuff is! Its like a miracle pill. I had tried it before in recommended amounts and found some benefit but wondered if placebo. but after reading about good results in higher amounts i brought some and knocked back 3 tablets (500mg each so 1.5g)

then about an hour or so later took my next dose of my adhd meds, which i have a huge tolerance to and have felt pretty much ineffective even if i take ahigher dose than prescribed. In fact Ive taken more than 2x the dose (and i am on a very high dose already with minimal effects

anyway took my normal dose and an hour or so later - WOO HOO! I was bzzing, it was like the first tiem id ever taken amphetamine when first diagnosed - except better - myu mood was great, i was positive chatty, happy as a clam, motivated. Been continuing this for the last week with similar effects.I am now taking about 9 + - tyrosine a day (and a lot less stimulants). I noticed it also makes stuff like caffene much more effective - and when taking tyrosine and caffene together i get a quite euphoric happy buzz that no amount of caffene would give me normally - on a small dose of caffene (ie small weak cup of tea) and no jitters. My mood when the last dose of adhd meds for the day wears off is better, and at work this week I have been doing some software development in a language that is totally new to me, and it felt like it was english or something - it was just SO easy!
I actually googled it tonight thinking to feel this good it must have side effects =- but cant find any evidence of any - and instead found out it will also possibly make me lose weight (has def cut my appetite and sugar cravings thta i had disappeared totally straight away), improve my skin, and in summer make me tan faster and less likely to get melanomia.

It really does feel like the miracle pill right now. So I thoroughly recommend anyone who needs any of the above - especially anyone whos medication has stopped being effective - give it a try. If you do, seriously - do NOT take a high dose of your adhd meds - take the minimum dose that would have any effect at all, as if you get the results i did you will find that it honestly - woudl probably have increased my adhd meds effectiveness to about 3 x what it is maybe more even. I am thrilled with the results from this. I also just generally feel much better all around, it feels like this may be addressing the root cause of much of my adhd synptoms in a way the meds dont really. I think it gives the meds the fuel they need to do their job really really well.

Your review is really helpful. I think i'm going to try l-tyrosine. The only thing is I read the effects only last a few weeks. Can you repost if the effects stop working?

Hyperman87
05-18-12, 04:04 PM
L-Tyrosine is the precursor to Levodopa. Like Levodopa L-Tyrosine can cause weight loss.You ever saw Micheal J.Fox in Spin City, mike was really skinny back in those days & I bet L-dopa had something to do with it.:) I'm gonna try L-tyrosine as well I hope it works out.:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkFDNObjT6w&feature=related

Jarl
05-19-12, 08:15 AM
My DS 17 with ADHD and chronic headaches could be placed on a low dose of tricyclic antidepressants. However, these are prone to have an awful lot of side effects. Therefore we are looking for more 'natural' substitutes. We found that L-tyrosine is supposed to have the same effect on serotonin as the tricyclic antidepressants (one prevents the absorption, the other releases more, so both raise the level).

Does someone has anything to share with us on this matter?

yepimonfire
05-22-12, 10:26 PM
i get around 5000mg of tyrosine from my daily protein shakes. by itself its not really effective, however i've noticed taking my meds with the shake has a BIG effect on how well the meds work.

yepimonfire
05-22-12, 10:27 PM
CRAP. just necromanced this thread.

:o

Rftn10
08-19-13, 05:26 PM
I take fish oil , l tyrosine and vitamin b-12 and it helps with my focus, its not 100% but I can definitely see a difference, I take L-tyrosine every other day because you can build a tolerance to it rather quickly. 2 weeks and tyrosine doesn't work anymore, but skipping it a few days helps big time. I am also going to order the natural supplement ATTEND, that worked great for a few months until it wore off but I will use it sporadic also.

windsoul
01-27-16, 04:23 AM
Old post, but I'm interested in finding out about L-tyrosine

I hate taking ritalin and concerts because i can't sleep at night!

thanks if anyone replies.. cheers

windsoul
02-24-16, 06:13 AM
UPDATE:

L-tyrosine doesn't work for me - only feels wired and affects sleep.

But I did once open the capsule and put it into my water bottle to pretend I was drinking (through the day) an alert juice.