View Full Version : Migraines

ChaosTheory
05-26-04, 01:30 PM
I haven't been diagnosed with CFS or Fibromyalgia, but it has been suggested.

I am currently being treated for migraines. It was my neurologist who diagnosed me with ADHD. I have known I have had ADHD for about 7 yrs (self-diagnose, no meds) , but never thought of a correlation between the two until I brought it up at my last appt. He discussed my history and symptoms and prescribed Strattera. I haven't had as many migraines for the last few weeks.

Any one else having problems with migraines???

Mary
05-30-04, 11:47 PM
Yes I do Chaos. Very very painful one right now!

ChaosTheory
05-31-04, 08:35 PM
Wow, Sorry to hear that!!!

I feel one coming on. I usually get one the first day of the work week. I think my usual Monday migraine has rescheduled for Tuesday, because of the holiday today.

sthrnchik
06-25-04, 06:57 PM
I've had migraine problems since I was a teen. Since Im not working Im not as stressed so I don't seem to get them as often. But Im always popping Ibuprofen bcause I get a dull or annoying headache 1 or more times a week. I never like to not take anything, bcause there is a fear that I a regular will turn into a migraine. ouch.
Also Im real sensitive to hot/cold, dampness and weather changes. I sometimes feel muscle & joint discomfort. Are there any theories on how CF & Add are related?

dixiepeep
07-16-04, 09:36 AM
I have been having migraines lately. Once I had the visual disturbance where I could not see clearly and the headache was not bad but yesterday I had a migraine that just hurt really bad. I have TMJ and I think it was because I did not wear my bite plate to bed. I am a teeth grinder. I had to go get a shot of Toradol and some Maxalt to get rid of the migraine. Is it common for ADD and ADHD's to grind their teeth at night? Just cuirous.

FlakeyGirl
07-16-04, 02:37 PM
I do too and I have heard that it is. You wanna make a poll Dixiepeep?

krisp
07-16-04, 02:54 PM
I have migraines occasionally, but not as often as I used to. I am still prone to headaches, though!

NeuroticGoddess
07-28-04, 06:02 AM
I have only had a couple of what I would call migraines in my life, however I get pretty nasty headaches ALL the time. Here lately it seems worse as I am constantly taking Tylenol to no avail. Is there any correlation of ADD and headaches? I'm sure it could also be just stress, but at any rate it is very annoying for my head to always hurt. I've been wondering what I can do about this.

waywardclam
07-28-04, 07:42 AM
Mrs. Clam gets occasional migraines... and she has also been diagnosed with fibromyalgia... :(

Mary
08-30-04, 12:04 PM
I have fibromyalgia as most of you know. This last month and a half I have been having horrible horrible headaches. To me these are migraines. I have vomited because of them. The whole world spins during these headaches. My head feels like it's falling off. I get a huge lump behind my right ear. My doctor says it's an occipital headache (from being on computer too much) but I have been using computer for years and never gotten a headache like these. My vision has been so blurry this last month or so that I have stopped wearing my glasses because when I wear them the dizziness is so much worse. She told me the other day that I may have to resort to a shot in the back of my neck each time I get one of these headaches. From what I have read in my book about fibromyalgia, headaches(migraines) are common ground and go hand and hand with fibro. Also, fibromyalgia is caused by the same lack of chemical that causes AD/HD, according to this book. There is mention made of this book in a previous post and I believe you can get it through Amazon.com (see also, mention of books, etc (there is a link here in forums to go through so forums gets credit, etc) to order any books). The book is called "Fibromyalgia for Dummies". My sister bought me this book when I was first diagnosed.

For those who asked certain questions, I hope I have given a satisfactory answer and that you can find help.

GirlDriver
08-31-04, 01:15 AM
Am new here & have Fibromyalgia (FM). Migraines & headaches in general are very common w/ FM! Check out this link.
http://www.add-fibromyalgia.com/page22.html
See the article by Glenda Davis, MD (I think that is her name) who posits an autonomic nervous system dysfunction as the link between ADD & fibromyalgia. She believes that stimulants used for ADD can actually treat FM pain. Hmmm. Interesting.

dixiepeep
08-31-04, 08:23 AM
thanks for the link Girl.That was interesting. I do not know much about Fibromyalgia but what I read makes sense that the two could be connected.

Spirit
09-01-04, 04:04 PM
One thing we need to remember about Fibro is that it is an autoimmune disorder. Which in simple terms means it attacks the body. I have read so many articles about Fibro and there are so many connections with other health issues it's unreal.

I have even read that Fibro can accentuate other existing problems. For instance, I have problems with numerous other parts of my body and the fibro will seem to target these areas when I have an inflammation attack. Those areas being chronic sinus infections, ciatic nerve damage, migraines (although these have lessened due to having a hysterectomy a few years ago, but none the less are still fairly frequent when I do things I shouldn't like getting stressed out, eating at my favorite Chinese food restaurant etc.), IBS, GERD, Other forms of arthritis, chronic bronchitis and numerous other problems.

The last trip I made to the ER for one of my major migraines, they tried several of the common migraine medications and finally after returning for the 5th time in 24 hours they finally broke down and gave me a Demerol shot to relieve the migraine. I don't like to get these shots mainly because I end up sleeping for 12 - 18 hours afterwords, which then aggravates my fibro.

So I guess for those of us with Fibro..we can expect that all this stuff is going to go hand in hand.

Oh and I also have AD/HD although since stricken with fibro the only thing hyper now is my brain that and having restless leg syndrome every night.

GirlDriver
10-06-04, 10:54 PM
One thing we need to remember about Fibro is that it is an autoimmune disorder. Which in simple terms means it attacks the body. I have read so many articles about Fibro and there are so many connections with other health issues it's unreal.

FM is technically not an Autoimmune disorder. It has often been dumped in the AI category bc of its similarities with AI diseases. One could certainly be stricken with FM & think he/she has arthritis or lupus. See "Women and Autoimmune Disease: The Mysterious ways Your Body Betrays Itself," by Rbt. Lahita, MD PhD.

Oh and I also have AD/HD although since stricken with fibro the only thing hyper now is my brain that and having restless leg syndrome every night. I'm sorry that you have RLS as well. Is that painful or just disruptive? My Best to you, Spirit...GirlDriver

Spirit
10-11-04, 02:10 PM
Now see that's what irritates me. One doctor will tell you one thing while another will yet say something different. The same goes with websites about Fibromyalgia.

Do they really know what it is or what causes it? I think not. I'm beginning to wonder if it's just another label to put on people so they'll dish out more money out of pocket or through their insurance.

I'm very frustrated with all of this. I'm in pain and I don't know why, nor am I able to get relief.

I thought I knew the In's and outs of having fibro, but it seems just as I gain knowledge they change it.

I have reached a point now that I just don't care anymore what goes on around me. I want to be left alone to suffer in silence. This is bad, I know it's depression and I'm doing my best to defeat that also. But with being told their's nothing they can do for me, why try ya know?

I turn 40 this Thursday and it's like a life sentence right now. I have not been able to reach a few goals I've set out because of having this so called Fibromyalgia along with the other problems. I'm struggling just to get out of bed. And when I'm not in bed asleep, I'm consuming my time playing online games to try and push it out of my mind. I feel like I'm wasting my life but yet no matter how hard I try and push my self I end up in agony.

As for the RLS, it's painful and disruptive.

GirlDriver
10-14-04, 01:50 AM
:confused: I feel the same way about never really mastering the information on fibro. There is no cohesive information coming out of the medical community, but much of the recent research seems to indicate that FMS is a CNS disorder.

Do they really know what it is or what causes it? Not specifically. However, it is now safe to say that any physician who still doubts the existence of FMS (or thinks it is psychological) is not well informed and should be avoided at all cost. Email me through the forum if you want more info; I'm a veteran.

I'm very frustrated with all of this. I'm in pain and I don't know why, nor am I able to get relief. If you do have FMS, you must to adjust your goals. Pain and fatigue are debilitating. I wish my MD would have warned me years ago that FMS could be so disabling. This is harsh and difficult to accept, but if you know that, then you will not doubt your sanity when you have a flare. One reccommendation: Do not be conservative on treatment if you are suffering. The longer you suffer, the greater the toll on you & those you love, and the longer it will take to get relief.

I'm struggling just to get out of bed. And when I'm not in bed asleep, I'm consuming my time playing online games to try and push it out of my mind. I feel like I'm wasting my life but yet no matter how hard I try and push my self I end up in agony. Get to a progressive physician and start your treatmnent plan. Life is too short to wait a second longer!

As for the RLS, it's painful and disruptive.[/QUOTE] I am so sorry. :-( GD

RhapsodyInBlue
10-29-04, 07:54 AM
Am new here & have Fibromyalgia (FM). Migraines & headaches in general are very common w/ FM! Check out this link.
http://www.add-fibromyalgia.com/page22.html
See the article by Glenda Davis, MD (I think that is her name) who posits an autonomic nervous system dysfunction as the link between ADD & fibromyalgia. She believes that stimulants used for ADD can actually treat FM pain. Hmmm. Interesting.
I think the article is interesting, but I am aware that even cancer patients are given stimulants to help them feel better.

Is it not true that anyone will feel better on stimulants, whether they be "normal" or ADHD?

The fact that they will feel better, makes it difficult to accept this article without any true scientific data to back it up as being physiologically sound.

My feelings go out to all who are suffering this condition [Fibro]. Chronic and acute pain is hard to deal with, and whilst I cannot understand exactly how you all feel, I can certainly empathize and see a great deal of strength of character around here;)

GirlDriver
10-29-04, 02:43 PM
Rhapsody,

I really just don't know if an average person feels "better" on taking stimulants. :confused: It is a provocative question. I think it would be fair to say that many people simply become agitated on taking stimulants and never feel "better" and never feel euphoric. Many chronic illnesses affect brain chemistry and drug efficacy & metabolism. Some people naturally have atypical responses to drugs. Any fair response to your question deserves to be infused with all sorts of considerations on addictive tendencies and which people are actually representative of most, and my response is not. It just popped out, so maybe "Chemical Moderator" (Gregster?) or someone else will chime in here.

I have not heard of using stimulants in cancer patients but am always fascinated by the evolution of pharmaceuticals into new realms. Do you know exactly why it is used in cancer patients?

The article on AD/HD & FM suggests a very novel connection indeed, one in which I am far from vested. It seems that most of the meaningful papers published about FM, even in peer-review journals, suggest novel connections bc FM science is in its infancy. These connections are increasingly CNS-related, which is an improvement over the dominant nihilistic philosophies of the past. :p This research has not generated cures, preventions, or important new treatments. Much to my chagrin, the scientific community continues to generate a disproportionate amount of paper reiterating barely-palliative treatment protocols.

Impatiently Yours, GD
[Rhapsody in Blue quote]

Is it not true that anyone will feel better on stimulants, whether they be "normal" or ADHD?

The fact that they will feel better, makes it difficult to accept this article without any true scientific data to back it up as being physiologically sound.

My feelings go out to all who are suffering this condition [Fibro]. Chronic and acute pain is hard to deal with, and whilst I cannot understand exactly how you all feel, I can certainly empathize and see a great deal of strength of character around here[/QUOTE]

RhapsodyInBlue
10-30-04, 05:10 AM
Rhapsody,

I really just don't know if an average person feels "better" on taking stimulants. :confused: It is a provocative question. I think it would be fair to say that many people simply become agitated on taking stimulants and never feel "better" and never feel euphoric. Many chronic illnesses affect brain chemistry and drug efficacy & metabolism. Some people naturally have atypical responses to drugs. Any fair response to your question deserves to be infused with all sorts of considerations on addictive tendencies and which people are actually representative of most, and my response is not. It just popped out, so maybe "Chemical Moderator" (Gregster?) or someone else will chime in here.

:confused: One reason stimulants are abused is because they make people feel more energized, more alert, more focused. I am talking about so-called "normals" in this instance; not people with ADHD. Yes, they are open to abuse, but that is seldom documented in people with ADHD; alhtough it does happen, but who can be certain it is the ADHD which predisposes one to addictive behaviors, or it is simply the core personality? None of us will probably ever be able to answer this.......

http://www.drugtestsuccess.com/amphetamines.htm

I have not heard of using stimulants in cancer patients but am always fascinated by the evolution of pharmaceuticals into new realms. Do you know exactly why it is used in cancer patients?

Yes, but I will give you these links to read.

http://www.curetoday.com/backissues/v3n1/features/Fatigue/

http://www.cancerwise.org/april_2004/display.cfm?id=165dd531-c8c3-422c-bdcbde72034d9f8c&method=displayfull&color=green

http://www.peoplelivingwithcancer.org/plwc/MainConstructor/1,1744,_12-001021-00_14-00Mental+Health+and+Cancer-00_17-001029-00_21-008,00.asp

This is why I suggested that Stimulants would help Fibromyalgia; or any condition that causes chronic pain and fatigue.

The article on AD/HD & FM suggests a very novel connection indeed, one in which I am far from vested. It seems that most of the meaningful papers published about FM, even in peer-review journals, suggest novel connections bc FM science is in its infancy. These connections are increasingly CNS-related, which is an improvement over the dominant nihilistic philosophies of the past. :p This research has not generated cures, preventions, or important new treatments. Much to my chagrin, the scientific community continues to generate a disproportionate amount of paper reiterating barely-palliative treatment protocols.

I agreed originally that the connection is interesting, albeit unproven. The actual cause of Fibromyalgia is unknown. Some speculate on low levels of Seretonin, others believe it possibly a viral or bacterial disease, and then there is the "lack of deep sleep" theory.

If we wait for the scientifc community, it will be a long time before proper treatment is available; not only for Fibro, but for many conditions.

Impatiently Yours, GD

No, it's me that has the ADHD;)

~Viktoria

GirlDriver
10-30-04, 04:35 PM
Thanks for all of the great links Victoria!
GD