View Full Version : Any Vegans on the Board?

Song of Mercy
12-07-09, 10:03 AM
Hi all,

I have been toying with being a Vegan for 7 or 8 years. I have waffled all over the place with this. I am finally getting going on my diet of choice and just wondered if anyone else on the board was a vegan?

Song

Veighen
12-07-09, 05:18 PM
Hey! I am vegan! yay vegans!

I've been vegan for about 6 months now... so of course that means... no animal meats, no cheese, no milk, no butter, no eggs, no fish, no honey, nothing that has or comes from animals at all.... wool... gelatin...white sugar... (usually strained through animal bone filter)

the list goes on... anyways before you begin to feel overwhelmed.. ask yourself why you have decided to become vegan.

If it is very important to you... (for me I cant consciously eat/buy anything that comes from animals because of the amount of documentaries I've watched regarding factory farms, animal cruelty/abuse, un-natural hormones, genetic modification, recycled animals parts being fed back to other animals....)

I really dont want to get into another dispute over if humans are meant to eat meat or not.. so if anyone that reads this.. and is feeling especially combative... I'm really not interested in defending the issue.. so save your breath please. (I've had too many debates/arguments over the issue already)

Anyways, I personally dont believe that animal meats are essential to maintaining a "proper" diet/health in fact all vegetables and fruits contain proteins.. kale for example is a highly nutritious vegetable and is about 46 percent protein.

The myths surrounding animal protein are endless... animal meat as well as milk are multi billion dollar industries.The fact that animals can be factory farmed quickly, easily, and cruelly to our dinner plates is the fastest easiest and most overlooked part of how these companies making easy money... at the cost of our health.

According the the book The China Study.. animal protein fuels growth in the human body.... same as milk... adult bodies dont need to grow.. so instead we discover cell growths in the form of tumors for an example.

Milk in fact leaches calcium from our bones....

Vegetable proteins (veggies/fruits) DO NOT fuel cell growth in the way animal protein does.. vegetable protein also has no fat, no artery clogging cholesterol... doesnt take as long to move through our system, promotes healthy bowels, unlike animal protein which tends to sit in and ferment within our bodies...

Anyways I could go on forever.... lol

Becoming vegan is a personal choice that demands time, research, and knowledge. It can be become overwhelming and frustrating for new vegans in a primarily animal product based world. You really need to educate yourself about it... in fact most sauces, breads, chips, processed foods, pastas, condiments, snacks, gums, toothpastes, etc... all have some small animal based ingredient in it.

Most importantly be patient with yourself. It takes time to learn.. try to change your diet slowly and dont get upset with yourself if you have trouble sticking with it at times.. it takes a strong will and determination.. as well as plenty of patience especially when confronted by "passionate meat eaters" that will argue till they're blue in the face about it.

One more thing.. as you being to educate yourself more about life as a vegan... just remember one rule... no preaching! :D

Good luck! here are some helpful links..

http://www.vegansociety.com/
http://www.goveg.com/

DOCUMENTARY
http://www.earthlings.com/ (viewers discretion is strongly advised)

Song of Mercy
12-07-09, 06:41 PM
wow, thanks for the awesome reply! So far I am off of meat, fish, eggs, milk, sugar, and geletin. I want to get off of processed flour, but I need time to acclimate to the changes. Eventually I am going to go primarily raw. I am learning to enjoy the natural taste of food. It is amazing to me that I used to put all the stuff on potatoes that I did...lol.

For a few weeks I was being a closet vegan. I eat a couple of meals a week at church and did not want to deal with the conflict. I would get to feeling good, then eat on Sunday and Tuesday at church...and bam...headaches and nausea. I finally just started eating at home. Now, everytime I am sitting in the ladies meeting I get all these comments about protien, and blood type diets and what ever popular myths the dairy and meat industry has pumped into the system. Oh well...:)

Thanks for the links!!!

Song

Crazygirl79
12-07-09, 09:37 PM
I've been thinking of becoming a vegetarian.

FrazzleDazzle
12-07-09, 10:02 PM
Song of Mercy, do you have info you could share on the diet you chose? I don't know much about veganism (I could easily be a vegetarian) and would enjoy learning more about it. I know enough to go easy on the soy replacements and forget about vegan "cheese."

Song of Mercy
12-08-09, 11:33 AM
Hi Frazzle and Selena,

I started by reading about eating raw foods. This was 7ish years ago. I tried it and found it impossible to stick to. I went all the way!!! I was soaking those seeds and nuts and making homemade raw sauces for marinading those soaked seeds and nuts. One day at the table my son looked at me with great big tears in his eyes and said "I am so hungry mama." Well, that was the end of any type of vegetarianism for me. I put the kids in the car and took them straight to a restaurant and ate.

Then off and on over the years I have tried eliminating different items, like pork and beef only, or all meat but not fish.

In the mean time, I have read numerous books on vegetarianism. That includes books that refute the wholesomeness of a pure vegetarian diet. That was good for me becasue it alerted me to several of the pitfalls that I would encounter. I have a tendancy not to believe very extreme opinions. That, I think, is very important. There really are two sides to every coin.

So, I can not tell you which books I read because I have read many. It is a topic I am interested in and so I have probably read 2 or 3 books a year on the subject for the past 7 years.

What I am doing now that is making this work is taking it in steps. I began by eliminatining meat. Next was tobacco, then eggs and milk and cheese. After that I took out sugar and lastly I stopped caffiene. I am going to go to a primarily raw diet sometime between febuary and march. I need to truly learn to enjoy the taste of natural foods first. When I go raw, I will not be taking my kids with me. They can do the veganism if I will continue cooking. Also, I am taking out flour from my diet in January...I am not sure how that is going to work with the kids. I have to balance what i can afford to do with their need for calories. In other words, if I can afford to make whole grain products myself (noodles, breads ect.) AND if I can learn to make delicious foods from healthier grain choices then ok. If not they will probably continue to have more flour than I would like.

There is much more to all of this than I have put in this post...

juicing
growing our own wheat grass for broad spectrum nutrients
dehydrating veggies for crackers and fruits for snacks

It is a life style.

:) Song

mildadhd
12-08-09, 02:54 PM
I was a vegan for three years, and then I stopped because I felt something wrong with me. I am not discouraging anyone, and look up to vegans. But make sure you get enough proteins, as our brains need them.
I now know I was not getting enough protein, and other things like Vitamin B's. Since then I have learned.
Hemp Seeds(shelled are the perfect vegetable protein). To make protein from other vegetables a person needs to eat two different vegtable proteins together to make a complete protein. This is not nessesary with hemp seed as they are already complete. They have more usuable protein than fish or any other meat. There is NOTHING in them to make you high, 100% SURE. Hemp seeds can be bought at most grocery stores now.
They cost about 13$ canadian for 9 sevings, which might sound pricey but compared to the price of meat. Which they have more of everything good.
Hemp Seeds have every essential fatty acid that a human needs.
Especially people with AD(H)D. Vitamin E, D, Mg,B's and A in abundance.
Eat whole shelled hemp seeds only not the powdered hemp protein because this contains ground shells.
A person does not need to be vegan to add hemp seeds to there foods.
Its great in salads and smoothies making them a power food.
I started eating raw vegetables a couple of months ago and the benefits are night and day. When we cook vegtables , we kill the enzymes that we need.
I started with raw carrots and am still finding I need to cook some vegtables half way or its to hard to eat them.
When I visited the Carribean I met alot of people who never used salad dressing ever, they just never have. My mind is jumpin all over right now, but I hope to discuss this topic more in the futur as I find myself wanting to be vegan again. Thanks for the reminder and encouragement.
I am not 100% sure but I read that being vegan is a very good way to avoid and treat diabetes.
Make SURE you get enough proteins is key.
FunnyHead

Song of Mercy
12-08-09, 07:27 PM
This is a good summery of the thinking of raw food enthusiest regarding protien.

"The WHO (World Health Organization) says humans need about 5% of their daily calories to come from protein to be healthy. The USDA puts this figure at 6.5%. On average, fruits have about 5% of their calories from protein. Vegetables have from 20-50% of their calories from protein. Sprouted seeds, beans, and grains contain from 10-25% of their calories from protein. So if you are eating any variety of living plant foods, you are getting more than adequate protein. Numerous scientific studies have shown the daily need for protein to be about 25-35 grams per day. So if you ate 2,000 calories per day, and ate raw plant foods that had an average of 10% of their calories from protein, you would get 200 calories worth of protein, or 50 grams. This is more than adequate to support optimal well-being. Other studies have shown that heat treating a protein (such as with cooking) makes about half of it unusable to the human body. So raw plant food protein is even a better source than cooked plant foods or animal foods. There is still a huge, foolish, misguided idea that plant protein is not "complete". This is based on studies done on rats in the 1940's. This false conclusion was drawn before we discovered the bodies protein recycling mechanism and its ability to "complete" any amino acid mix from our bodies amino acid pool, no matter what the amino acid composition of a meal consumed. This false idea is still perpetuated by the meat and dairy industries, in an attempt to influence people to continue consuming their truly health destroying products."

Having posted this, let me say that I feed my kids beans, seeds, nuts as well as whole grain combinations. Many of which are cooked. I also suppliment the b vitamins and use calcium fortified beverages.

I am not sure yet if this is going to help my adhd child or not. We are exercising 5 or more times a week and spending more family time together. So, I may never know what exactly is doing what...

shysmile
12-26-09, 12:34 AM
I am not vegan myself, but I live a healthy eating lifestyle and support the idea (for those who have done the proper research first, of course).
I hate it when ignorant people talk like you can only get protein from animal products. Not true! :)

I sometimes have days where I eat vegan, or at least vegetarian. Not sure I could do it all the time, though.