View Full Version : Changing Medication

hcsanders
12-07-09, 09:28 PM
Hi there! My son is 6 and he has been on 2 meds and is starting a 3rd...he tried Concerta (caused agression) and adderall xr (did really well just lost weight)...Anyway, the doctor acted as if our only option now is straterra. My question for yall is...Do any of you have a child with adhd (the hyperactivity side) that have found sucess with the straterra? After doing research I havent found much success with it outside of the calm add type. We are getting meds from a pediatrician do you see a pediatrician or a psychiatrist?? Thanks for your help!

Heather

Lady Lark
12-08-09, 11:07 AM
We did for a while with Strattera and Tenex, about a year and a half actually.

JenE
12-08-09, 11:18 AM
My 7yo son is on Strattera and it has worked very well for his focus. His impulsiveness improved some but not to the level we had hoped. We've added Tenex which his teacher indicates has greatly improved his impulsivity so the combo seems to work for us. Only issue we have is more irritability and some aggression in the evenings since starting the Tenex so we are wondering if it could be a type of rebound effect. also wondering if Intuniv might work a bit better with more constant level of drug during the day. We don't want to do stimulants because he already has anxiety issues and because of the rebound effect.

Finding the right meds is frustrating and I hope you guys find the right one soon.

Vickie
12-08-09, 01:28 PM
A pediatrician is OK for med management when things are straight forward and working. I would suggest finding a psychiatrist that has experience with ADHD kids because they will have much more experience with med management then most peds.

My youngest tried straterra for a short time but had to discontinue because it made her nauseous. It was also the first med I tried. It worked well for me but I always had the nausea and so we moved to a different med.

MGDAD
12-08-09, 01:31 PM
There are two main classes of stimulants on the market. One called methylphenidate and the other called amphetamine. All of the brand name drugs are just different technologies that cause a time release effect. Or sometimes they are a more "pure" form of the acting medicine. In the end there are just two active ingredients.

Your doctor tried one form of Methylphenidate (Concerta) and one form of Amphetamine (Adderal XR). Since all other stimulant meds are just different forms, he probably feels that they are not worth trying. He is worried about the loss of weight, so he is trying something that does not have the potential for weight loss as a side effect. The medicine that he is giving you now (Stratterra) is not a stimulant.

Strattera works for some, but not as often as the stimulants. However, the only thing that really matters is if it works for your son. The only way to know is to try it.