View Full Version : Fish oil?

mpw123
12-10-09, 12:58 AM
I can't find much information about fish oil's effectiveness in treating AD/HD. All I can find is that its apparently a better treatment for children than ritalin. Not saying that is true, its just all the information I can find.
If I start taking fish oil will it help?

BouCoupDinkyDau
12-10-09, 01:02 AM
Omega 3 oils (fish or flax seed) are good for treating depression due to the DHA and EPA in them, but I have never heard anything about them being used for ADD/ADHD. One thing everyone should be aware of: If you are a male and are taking oils, go with the fish, not the flax seed. A couple of studies indicate flax seed oil can contribute to prostate cancer in men.

allredfibre
12-10-09, 01:16 AM
I looked into this last year and at the time no reliable studies had been done (none were double-blind and placebo-controlled). And the improvements from even the poorly-designed/controlled studies typically only showed negligible to small gains. So fish-oil is probably about as effective as snake-oil?

DaneV
12-10-09, 07:58 AM
I looked into this last year and at the time no reliable studies had been done (none were double-blind and placebo-controlled). And the improvements from even the poorly-designed/controlled studies typically only showed negligible to small gains. So fish-oil is probably about as effective as snake-oil?

Search better :p

This looks like a placebo-controlled study with good results
http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=195255 (http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/cgi/news/release?id=195255)

Lost Focus
12-11-09, 04:28 PM
Interesting that I just found this thread. While working with a co-worker this morning on an issue that has plagued me for months, I started talking to him about ADD/ADHD stuff, and trying to gauge his thoughts before I revealed anything. He talked at length about fish oil vs. flax seed.

From him: Flax seed works better for women than men, because Fish oil plays with the production of testosterone. He also mentioned that when you buy the gel caps, that it kind of spoils the liquid because it's at room temperature. Also, the recommended dosage appears inadequate to him. Rather than taking the gel caps, he takes 1-2tbs daily in refrigerated liquid form. The claim is that he KNOWS he is taking it when it's in this form and that quantity. Improved focus, mind operation, the works. I would classify him as a new-age hippie of sorts, and he acknowledged a tendency to medicate through improved nutrition as opposed to pharmaceuticals. Keep in mind that he told me in the same conversation, that as a kid he was 'diagnosed' as hyperactive, before ADHD was really used much as a diagnosis. It seems to help him by leaps and bounds, and I trust very much what he says.

Lunacie
12-11-09, 05:40 PM
There have been several threads on this topic already. Most are probably in this section.

I know there was research done in Australia on the effects of fish oil combined with evening primrose oil that showed definate promise. But all I can really say for certain is that I started taking fish oil myself about 6 or 7 years ago and it made a very big difference. At one point I ran out of capsules and didn't buy more right away, and within a few days I could tell the difference and it was scary - scary that I had lived my whole life before that in such an unfocused state.

I've heard all the hooplah about taking only the highest priced form of fish oil, or only liquid as opposed to capsules. But again speaking only for myself, the capsules have made such a difference in my life that I've never worried about forking over the big bucks for anything "better".

I also take magnesium (combined with calcium and zinc) and a B-complex vitamin. There have been discussions here about the benefit of those supplements as well. Of course, diet and exercise and beneficial to almost every issue and ADHD is no different in that.

Garbanzo Dude
12-11-09, 07:49 PM
I've looked around also and tried some myself.

A. It works but will never be as good as a prescription med
B. It has a ton of other health benefits
C. 3-4 Grams is the minimum required amount for any mood/ADD benfitis

Lunacie
12-11-09, 08:25 PM
I've looked around also and tried some myself.

A. It works but will never be as good as a prescription med
B. It has a ton of other health benefits
C. 3-4 Grams is the minimum required amount for any mood/ADD benfitis

While it may take that much for you to notice any benefit, I find that taking 2 grams (2,000 mg) per day is very helpful myself.

FrazzleDazzle
12-11-09, 10:50 PM
From him: Flax seed works better for women than men, because Fish oil plays with the production of testosterone. :eek::eek::eek:

Have you got any more info on this? This would be really important for us ladies taking fish oils to know more about.

Lost Focus
12-12-09, 12:30 AM
I'll check with him on Monday and see if he can link me to his sources.