View Full Version : i got wrote a different prescription, i'm 90% sure what it is

ghostinator
12-11-09, 09:28 AM
First post here, i was going to write an elaborate intro, but discarded it because i thought it was alot to read. trust me, it was.

My psychiatrist and I are trying to find the right dosage as i'm no longer 13 and don't weigh 130 pounds. I'm 21 and weigh 280(yikes! LOL![it's going down]).
The first prescription i got was for adderall XR 25mg, i winded up getting a generic made by barr which didn't work anything like the real deal did 8 years ago. I saw him the other day and told him my insurance will only pay for the brand name if none of the generics work out. So he wrote me a perscription for 4x10mg(they didn't have 20's) dextroamphetamine cr/sr/er/xr in the a.m.

From my understanding, Adderall is a mix of 4 amphetamine salts, and dexedrine/dextrostat is ONLY the dextroamphetamine portion. Since i winded up getting 120 pills, 100 came from barr, and the other 20 came from Mallinckrodt.

Is my research correct? and who makes the best generic? barr doesn't seem to work that well either, I'm trying the Mallinckrodt today.

Also can anyone answer why it's easier for me to fall asleep while the drug is still working compared to when it wears off? I go to the gym every other day which really helps, i fall asleep right away on the day i go. I've tried melatonin, benadryl, pretty much all none prescription remedies. a beer or 2 half-way works, i'll sleep for 3-4 hours then it's back to step one.

hope it wasn't too much of a read, hopefully i remember to check back later

CptNemo
12-11-09, 12:22 PM
Welcome aboard!:)

So he wrote me a perscription for 4x10mg(they didn't have 20's) dextroamphetamine cr/sr/er/xr in the a.m.Sorry,not sure what you mean...I'm guessing the spansules by Barr or GSK.

Since i winded up getting 120 pills, 100 came from barr, and the other 20 came from Mallinckrodt.Are you talking about adderall,or dex??

Yes,you have the ingredients right.

In a nutshell,based on popular opinion:

Adderall XR: Shire(not generic,original),but that formula/brand will disappear forever in a few months,maybe six at most.

Adderall XR generic: The first post sums it up nicely
http://www.addforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75354
Note: the more I read,the more I notice that no two people react the same. I just play the odds.:p

Dex IR: no choice but Barr.
Dex spansules(ER): GSK. Barr is the only other choice that I know of.

Also can anyone answer why it's easier for me to fall asleep while the drug is still working compared to when it wears off? Nope,but for me I think its because the meds calm the brain down,so I am more relaxed.

Playing the odds,dex is more likely to do that.
Adderall,as you noted,has 25% l-Amp,which seems to affect the PNS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peripheral_nervous_system) more.

Edit:Drink something acidic an hour before bed,like OJ. Cranberry juice is best. See if that makes a difference for sleep.

Yellow
12-13-09, 02:32 AM
got wrote = was written....you might fall asleep cuz you can concentrate on "nothing" or trying to sleep as opposed to the thoughts that race all over the place cuzza adhd....there is no brand for dexedrine except barr instant release; glaxo smith kline makes dexedrine extended release tho.....so if u like IR, u have to take barr, if u want GSK brand name then get spansules, and i think the spansules are probably better cuz barr sucks worse than a baby with a pacifier