View Full Version : Neurofeedback article of possible interest

Dizfriz
12-15-09, 09:47 AM
This article on some new neurofeedback research being planned may be of interest.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/14/AR2009121402862.html?hpid=artslot

Dizfriz

Vickie
12-15-09, 02:50 PM
Here is the Clinicaltrials.gove listing for this study:

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00886483?term=neurofeedback+adhd&rank=2

There should someday be data posted to the site as well.

MuscleMama
12-15-09, 03:26 PM
The National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is sponsoring the first government-funded, peer-reviewed study...

This is great! It should help us all know if this is a worthwhile alternative/adjuct treatment and if so, hopefully get medical insurance on board to start covering it.

MGDAD
12-15-09, 07:22 PM
Seems like there is still a possibility of improvement with the kids with the faulty equipment. They are still practicing to remain calm and focused. Plus it is just one small study. The results of that study wont change anyones mind about the treatment, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

MuscleMama
12-15-09, 11:40 PM
Seems like there is still a possibility of improvement with the kids with the faulty equipment. They are still practicing to remain calm and focused. Plus it is just one small study. The results of that study wont change anyones mind about the treatment, but I guess you have to start somewhere.

I'm starting to think you're a party pooper! :p

Vickie
12-16-09, 01:00 PM
I'm starting to think you're a party pooper! :p

Not so much a "party pooper" :D but more like the recognition of how evidence based medicine works. Building evidence supporting a treatment takes time and multiple studies. They start small (due to cost) and if things look promising more studies are added to build the evidence. They also need to be strong (valid) studies that have good controls and a design that can disprove the hypothesis in the case that it is incorrect (an important part in study design).

One problem is that if studies are done on a treatment that is not yet optimized enough, there may be too much variability in the results, possibly causing an overlap in the results between the treatment and control subjects which would then not support the treatment in that form.

MGDAD
12-16-09, 05:43 PM
I guess I am a bit of a party pooper, but that is because I think it is nearly impossible for these types of treatements to be validated.

I predict that with this study the results will be inconclusive. I dont think they have designed the study with an unbiased control group. Not that I have a better idea, I just dont think it is possible to have a good control group with this type of treatment. The only treatments which are easy to have a good control group are pills.