View Full Version : Any Knitters Here?

MCate
12-16-09, 08:33 PM
Knitting is my craft of choice...I can hyperfocus, or just use it to filter stuff out (I hear you better if I'm knitting!).

I also dabble in crochet & cross-stitch! Would love to meet other knitters, either here or in the Social Group I created: Hyperfocused Knitters (http://www.addforums.com/forums/group.php?groupid=77) :)

varkjie
12-16-09, 10:42 PM
I joined! I knit somewhat I have tendonitus and it seems to act up when I knit! I can loom no problems though but I feel like it's chetaing!

trishcan
12-16-09, 10:50 PM
I joined, as well. Knitting is the only hobby I've ever picked up and stuck with. It's my favorite way to wind down every evening, and a great way to keep my hands busy when I'm doing passive activities.

Bluerose
12-18-09, 08:45 AM
I was a great knitter. I had two machines going at once sometimes. I used to make and sell kids sweaters. Hubby was in the Parachute reg. I made sweaters for kids with wings motifs in front. They sold like hot cakes at the army wives club. Don’t do so much of it now that I found computers so entertaining. I still crochet for relaxation. Knitting and crochet is a wonderful pastime.

wsmac
12-18-09, 05:30 PM
I like working with line, ropes... I love knots!

So with that, I tried my hand at knitting quite a few years ago... I knitted a pair of socks! First project! I had a lady showing me how though.

Then I knitted a second pair

Then eventually I knitted a hat for myself.. although I did it all on my own and it wound up fitting a newborn baby!:o

I promised to knit socks for my wife and daughter, but that never happened because as with every other craft like this, once I do one or two, I stop and move on to something else.

A couple of years ago my daughter got really interested in knitting and we took another sock class together.

I got one pair out of it then stopped... she is still knitting and is VERY good at it.

I keep thinking I should take it up again so I can have something to do with my hands while sitting places.
I'll check out your link to see what that's all about.

MCate
12-19-09, 12:28 PM
How wonderful!!! Though I'd say I'm a fairly intermediate knitter, socks are my crucible. I love them, they aren't terribly difficult, but it's those tiny needles....I'm an instant gratification gal.

And, yeah, like you, I don't always finish. Though, mine is more that I still knit, but I start a project, only to abandon it because I see a new pattern I "have" to knit. That part is frustrating for sure!

Or finishing something on a deadline (like a gift or something....). But, still, it relaxes me & helps me process and filter.

Let me know if you take it up again!

MCate
12-19-09, 12:32 PM
Very cool, BlueRose! I'm working on an Aran now...but, no machine...all by hand....And.It.Is.Taking.Forever.....Impatient, much?? :)

MCate
12-19-09, 12:43 PM
Varkjie & Trishcan, thanks for joining....I look forward to hearing more about your projects!

FrazzleDazzle
12-19-09, 01:32 PM
I like to knit too, but nothing requiring curves lol! A couple of years ago for Christmas, I knitted everyone scarves with those fun yarns. I had fun combining different yarns. I'm making one more this year for a gift. It's relaxing, and something to do while waiting. That's about the extent of it, but I do love doing those scarves!

wsmac
12-19-09, 01:45 PM
One of the coolest things I like about knitting is being able to sit a project down and pick it up months later with no problems.

In my last sock class, one lady started up a sweater that had been dormant for 14 yrs.

I suppose as long as you have enough of the same yarn to complete a project it doesn't matter how long it sits.

MCate
12-19-09, 05:43 PM
wsmac, I think it's a sensory thing too. Feeling the fibers, hearing the licking of the needles (well, I usually use bamboo, but you can hear it a bit), the soothing repetitious motions, the feel of the needles (I have some made from ebony that feel *so* good)...I think all of those play a role in the calming, filtering effect the craft has on me.

MCate
12-19-09, 05:46 PM
FrazzleDazzle, there's nothing like mindless knitting....When I'm just knitting a scarf, I don't have to look at a pattern, count rows...any of that. So, that's what I do when I best want to filter stuff out around me - those projects that don't require a lot of concentration.

mctavish23
12-19-09, 08:54 PM
Is not allowed near sharp objects.

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

wsmac
12-19-09, 10:23 PM

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

Try Kumihimo
http://www.whatiskumihimo.com/What_is_Kumihimo.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RNbFjvZycs

I make the circular cards from cardboard, large yogurt container lids, masonite board...

I don't do it, but my daughter and her mother do... it's really beautiful and easy to do.. almost hypnotic like knitting.:D

You come out with these wonderful cords of various thicknesses and patterns depending on how you set it up and what type of cordage you use.

Infinity
12-26-09, 12:13 AM

tc

mctavish23

(Robert)

:(

they make point protectors... and knitting belts. or used to.

Knitting guilds
Fashionable knits were known in France as early as the 1420s. It is also known that knitting guilds, exclusively male and with structured apprenticeship systems, were formed in Europe in the 1400s. These knitting guilds appear to have been established to improve the quality of the profession and to attract a wealthier and more stable clientele.
http://www.knit-a-square.com/history-of-knitting.html

http://knitting.about.com/od/reviews/fr/knitting_balls.htm

Id share what I'm working n right now , but its a secrect.:cool:

Infinity~

Bluerose
12-30-09, 11:44 AM
Very cool, BlueRose! I'm working on an Aran now...but, no machine...all by hand....And.It.Is.Taking.Forever.....Impatient, much?? :)

I used to knit arans too. I love puzzles and it was like doing a puzzle sometimes; p2 put 4 on a cable needle k4 then knit the 4 on the needle. No one could talk to me or I would forget where I was. Such fun. I miss it. My grandkids aren't into sweaters, it's all t-shirts with loud messages these days.

Bluerose
12-30-09, 11:53 AM
Try Kumihimo
http://www.whatiskumihimo.com/What_is_Kumihimo.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RNbFjvZycs

I make the circular cards from cardboard, large yogurt container lids, masonite board...

I don't do it, but my daughter and her mother do... it's really beautiful and easy to do.. almost hypnotic like knitting.:D

You come out with these wonderful cords of various thicknesses and patterns depending on how you set it up and what type of cordage you use.

That looks cool. I think I'll give it a go.

musicpainter
12-30-09, 06:32 PM
I learned to knit as a kid and my sister and I used to knit together all the time while we were playing imaginary games. It was fun.

Then I hurt my wrist so had to quit knitting. I just got my wrist all surgically fixed and decided to knit my cousin a replacement scarf for the one I made him 7 or 8 years ago and finished it in a few days. It was so quick and easy! (I don't know any fancy stitches or anything like that, for me it's all about the regular old plain stitch).

So, I decided to start making scarves for charity. I found one online that is collecting them through a knitting store in my area so have decided to do that. It will be a good way to keep me busy for the remainder of my winter break and gives me something to do while I watch TV at night (I get bored if I'm not doing something while watching TV). And I get that warm fuzzy feeling that I'm doing something nice in my spare time. I started the first one and will see how many I can pump out before they're done collecting (I think in February some time).

My sister knits like a machine. She is so amazing! She always has a knitting project with her in a bag or has something incredible she's doing. My Mom started knitting too and is doing all sorts of projects. Currently she's doing some fancy stitched hat for me for Christmas while I sit there doing my plain simple stitch. It's funny but I don't mind. The regular stitch is all I can handle right now. I have it mastered and can knit away while I watch TV, I don't even have to look at what I'm doing and that's just what I need. :D

stef
12-30-09, 07:11 PM
oh no ANOTHER project :eek:
I don't know how to knit but my mother in law is an expert. I find it very soothing when she's knitting and watching tv.

Infinity
12-30-09, 08:57 PM
oh no ANOTHER project :eek:

Im a sucker for a challenge.